• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving - what do I do with my guns?

It was my understanding that PA does have non resident CCW license. This site appears to agree: Non-Resident Carry Permits in Pennsylvania

It doesn't apply to the OP because he's actually moving there, but they apply to those of us that aren't moving there.

31 states honor a Pennsylvania ccw license

RESIDENT

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

NON-RESIDENT
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Pennsylvania Gun Laws: Get The Latest Info For 2018

They do. You have to find a county willing to issue to non-residents, though. It is the same process and forms as the resident license, though. The only thing to indicate non-residence is your address.

Well, change of plans - looks like I'll be heading to Atlanta. I am hoping the same applies, but I am worried, as it is a bigger, more diverse (more left leaning?) city. Any updated advice? Am I screwed again? Thanks!

Damn, we're going to miss your 4.5 posts per year.
Hey man thanks, you are really sweet! I'll miss you too old friend. Oh, btw, let me know what the minimum post requirement is, so I can update my files, and I'll be sure to post whether I have anything useful to say or not ;) I'll be in good company!

Well, change of plans - looks like I'll be heading to Atlanta. I am hoping the same applies, but I am worried, as it is a bigger, more diverse (more left leaning?) city. Any updated advice? Am I screwed again? Thanks!

Damn, we're going to miss your 4.5 posts per year.
Hey man thanks, you are really sweet! I'll miss you too old friend. Oh, btw, let me know what the minimum post requirement is, so I can update my files, and I'll be sure to post whether I have anything useful to say or not ;) I'll be in good company!

XupSb9b.jpg

Was it out of ammo?

Lol. He has a loaded mag in his hand, and a few in his murse...

It's going "overboard" because; he is off of Martha's Vineyard and the rifle has a bayo lug and bird-cage... [rofl2]

Good eye.
He's wearing slip-ons too.

...and a front-mounted fanny pack. I also think I see a sat-phone on his belt.

The AR also has an A2 front sight, but no rear sight or detach carry handle. He must not have wanted to toss his optic with it... [smile]

...and a front-mounted fanny pack. I also think I see a sat-phone on his belt.

The AR also has an A2 front sight, but no rear sight or detach carry handle. He must not have wanted to toss his optic with it... [smile]
Maybe it was an Olympic Arms . . . they weren't good for anything anyway, so no great loss.

Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news

"Atlanta" is a hodgepodge of urban and suburban living in Fulton and DeKalb counties. "Atlanta" might also extend out into surrounding suburban counties. If you're moving for work and work is coordinating where you go, I can't imagine them putting you in a former crackhouse in the ATL slums.

Once you know where you're going, use the GA Carry website to your advantage.

It was my understanding that PA does have non resident CCW license. This site appears to agree: Non-Resident Carry Permits in Pennsylvania

It doesn't apply to the OP because he's actually moving there, but they apply to those of us that aren't moving there.

31 states honor a Pennsylvania ccw license

RESIDENT

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

NON-RESIDENT
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Pennsylvania Gun Laws: Get The Latest Info For 2018

So what does having a PA CCW license do for you in VERMONT?

Well, since you're asking for my advice, at a minimum I'd suggest that 4.5 posts per day should suffice.

He can still post from PA. Just saying...

Beaker, for an old timer of 10 years on NES, I'm triple shocked that you missed the sarcasm. [shocked][shocked][shocked] [laugh]

He can still post from PA. Just saying...
Since I moved to NC, I haven’t been able to post here at all.

When I moved , I put the guns in the trailer first and everything else after them. The only way the guns would be found is if somebody obliterated my trailer. We did avoid NYC and NJ when we moved.

One thing this site has a lot of.... is old grumps with a lot of free time on their hands.

"Atlanta" is a hodgepodge of urban and suburban living in Fulton and DeKalb counties. "Atlanta" might also extend out into surrounding suburban counties.
Handgunlaw.us claims that Georgia has (what seems to me like)
pretty good state preemption of gun regulation.
(Don't be afraid to scroll around the PDF
if you don't see "State Preemption" on that page).

However, Atlanta has grown by annexation.

I'd get a sanity check on whether a neighborhood
was about to be eaten by gun-grabbers
before buying property too near the city.

Since I moved to NC, I haven’t been able to post here at all.

When I moved , I put the guns in the trailer first and everything else after them. The only way the guns would be found is if somebody obliterated my trailer.
Hope you recover from your Tragic Moving Accident,
find your guns,
and resume posting Real Soon Now.

This is maybe naive question, especially as I haven't moved in 25yrs but maybe will in another 4.... but why wouldn't the person moving give them to the moving company and let them assume responsibility of moving the firearms over enemy lines? Assuming you're moving an entire household wouldn't you just move everything together with your other household goods? (less your ammunition)

Flame away as necessary. That said, I'm already admitting its a naive question. ;)

This is maybe naive question, especially as I haven't moved in 25yrs but maybe will in another 4.... but why wouldn't the person moving give them to the moving company and let them assume responsibility of moving the firearms over enemy lines? Assuming you're moving an entire household wouldn't you just move everything together with your other household goods? (less your ammunition)

Flame away as necessary. That said, I'm already admitting its a naive question. ;)

Two reasons.

1.) theft

2.) most moving companies won’t do firearms. (Usually for reason #1)

Step one: Take your final dump before leaving MA

Step two: follow this advice while driving through unfriendly territory:

Not sure about legal possession, etc in PA (one can easily research this on the internets) but you can just fly all of your guns with you to PA. It's simple and rather easy. Then you don't have to deal with driving through NYC and NJ. If you go this route, just check the policies for the airline of your choice. I flew all my guns down with me to VA when I moved out of MassiveTwoShits :D

Last edited:

When I moved from MA to VA... I used a moving company. They drove a truck full of my stuff down to Virginia. They packed and moved my less valuable goods like clothes, furniture, etc., just stuff that wasn't really worth a lot and could be replaced. It was stuff that if they stole or it got lost or rolled over in a ditch on 95, I wouldn't cry over. The important stuff, I drove down myself in my own car.

You can do what one of my friends did.
Before moving he sold all the BS hard to get in MA guns to friends. Then he sold all but a 3 that had some sentimental value. Along with all the ammo and accessories. He then saved the cash to buy all the guns he really wanted when he got to his new home.restocked on fresh ammo .
I say this if its worth more here sell it. If they have no real value to you and you have not shot them in years sell them.

just to add since my friend new he was not going directly from A to B . Once he was in his new home his mom mailed the remaining items ups.

Handgunlaw.us claims that Georgia has (what seems to me like)
pretty good state preemption of gun regulation.
(Don't be afraid to scroll around the PDF
if you don't see "State Preemption" on that page).

However, Atlanta has grown by annexation.

I'd get a sanity check on whether a neighborhood
was about to be eaten by gun-grabbers
before buying property too near the city.

Hope you recover from your Tragic Moving Accident,
find your guns,
and resume posting Real Soon Now.

Put the guns so far in the back theyd have to unpack your whole house to get to them
Yah, I think I will resort to this strategy.

Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news

"Atlanta" is a hodgepodge of urban and suburban living in Fulton and DeKalb counties. "Atlanta" might also extend out into surrounding suburban counties. If you're moving for work and work is coordinating where you go, I can't imagine them putting you in a former crackhouse in the ATL slums.

Once you know where you're going, use the GA Carry website to your advantage.

Thanks guys, this should get me the info I need - off to click on the links. I will be living in the midtown area, maybe slightly east - pretty nice area, still a hell of a lot less expensive then where I am now.

Back
Top Bottom