• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving - what do I do with my guns?

I will be moving soon, hopefully to PA, from the Boston Metro area. I have a current LCF, class A for MA. I gather, from my Googling, that I do not need to register to own these in PA, and can apply for a state license to carry when I move there (there was even a suggestion on one site I could apply as a non-resident in PA).

My question is, how best to legally transport a few handguns, a shotgun and a .22 from MA to PA? Ship them? Put them unloaded in locked containers in the back of my SUV, or maybe a U-Haul hitch and drive?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered - I am sure it must have, but my search skills are failing me.

Many thanks.

Be sure to send that letter to your local police, as well as the Chelsea office where the FA-10's go to, so that they know you're moving out. (No idea about PA.)

As for transporting, unloaded in locked containers is your best bet, separate from ammo. Cover them up with a cloth. Do not stop along the way except for gas along the highway. If you have any mags or ammo that are illegal in NY, sell or give them to someone in Massachusetts before you leave since they won't be covered under FOPA. Oh, and be sure to flip the bird to MA on the way out for crapping on your rights.

Oh, and don't do anything weird like detour through NJ on the way there... it is already bad enough you have to pass through NY to get there. But, at least avoid the county that NYC is in.

I will be moving soon, hopefully to PA, from the Boston Metro area. I have a current LCF, class A for MA. I gather, from my Googling, that I do not need to register to own these in PA, and can apply for a state license to carry when I move there (there was even a suggestion on one site I could apply as a non-resident in PA).

My question is, how best to legally transport a few handguns, a shotgun and a .22 from MA to PA? Ship them? Put them unloaded in locked containers in the back of my SUV, or maybe a U-Haul hitch and drive?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered - I am sure it must have, but my search skills are failing me.

Many thanks.
Don't know what part of PA, but you might want to go by way of 81S and completely bypass the worse than MA legal hellhole that is NJ.....

Yes I heard NJ is a disaster for this sort of thing - I will definitely steer clear of both. I did not realize I needed to send a letter, but I was going to notify my police chief and get his advice anyway - thanks!

Many thanks.

Case it up, lock it up, cover it up, throw it in your car out of sight, drive, done.

Yes I heard NJ is a disaster for this sort of thing - I will definitely steer clear of both. I did not realize I needed to send a letter, but I was going to notify my police chief and get his advice anyway - thanks!

You can't, you'll at least have to go through NY and do the matamoras transit over 84. It's not really a big deal unless you're afraid of your own shadow. Frankly I would just go early on a weekday morning (leave at like 4 or 5 am tops) and get it done via the most efficient route.

-Mike

I don’t know what you have but, You could sell some of your collection in Ma and then re-purchase a later version once you move. It’s a win-win, gun stays home and you get a newer, cheaper gun (think Glock). And Maura gets a proverbial f in the a since the gun stays.

That could be a great slogan “F Maura in the A, buy a Glock”

Locked in cases. do not stop until PA

Case it up, lock it up, cover it up, throw it in your car out of sight, drive, done.

You can't, you'll at least have to go through NY and do the matamoras transit over 84. It's not really a big deal unless you're afraid of your own shadow. Frankly I would just go early on a weekday morning (leave at like 4 or 5 am tops) and get it done via the most efficient route.

-Mike

Both of these things right here. PA gives 0 f***s about what you're bringing and has no requirement to license your guns. PA LTCF is only required to carry concealed.

Per FOPA: keep them unloaded in locked containers in your trunk, keep it to 65-70mph down I-84 through NY, and once you cross the Delaware revel in your new freedom. I've made this trip several times with more firearms than that and never had any trouble. Seriously, you can feel the freedom as you cross the bridge into PA.

When we moved I put guns and ammo in separate locked cases, packed them toward the front of the box truck I drove locked it, then gave the key to my wife who drove a different vehicle.

Guns and ammo were going in separate cases anyway. Truck was getting locked regardless. Giving the key to my wife just removed any possibility of ending up in a battle of wills over opening the truck in the off chance that I got pulled over by some jack-wagon.

When I moved back to MA (yes, I’m an idiot. Flame away) I disassembled each gun (slides separated from frames for pistols; bolts removed from long guns; etc) and locked pieces of each firearm in separate containers. Probably overkill but put me at ease for my brief transit through NY. That said, I would’ve been a state troopers wet dream if I got pulled over—firearms, ammunition, assorted open containers (bourbon collection came home with me), and a propane tank for good measure. Never breathed easier than when I crossed back into MA from NY

If you have any MA compliant or preban modern sporting rifles or preban mags, and don't plan on returning to Mass, I'm sure you could sell and make some cash as those command a higher value here.

License to Carry in PA is issued by the County Sheriff. I think the only exception to that is Philadelphia. There's a thread here on getting your LTC in PA. It's shall issue, generally you have to apply and pick up the license in person. The only real discretion that a sheriff has is that they can refuse to issue a LTC to someone who doesn't live in the county. Since you're moving, you might want to call the Sheriff's office and ask about that. Most of the counties have LTC information on their websites and usually that includes whether or not they will issue to non county residents.

There is no such thing as a non resident LTC in PA. The only difference will be in the address.

No LTC is needed to buy or possess either long guns or hand guns. The LTC is for carry only. Oh, PA is an open carry state as well.

As to travel, the last time I went to PA with firearms I took I-84 from the Hartford area west. That will keep you well north of New York City and Westchester County which are pretty anti gun. You need to be careful near Port Jarvis which is where PA, NY, and NJ meet more or less. If you get off at Exit 1 in New York it's incredibly easy to veer into NJ. Stay on I-84 until you are well clear of the NJ state line. I drove west to the Scranton area before I turned south.

You need to be careful near Port Jarvis which is where PA, NY, and NJ meet more or less. If you get off at Exit 1 in New York it's incredibly easy to veer into NJ. Stay on I-84 until you are well clear of the NJ state line. I drove west to the Scranton area before I turned south.

Honestly, that's overkill. The shithole states end at the Delaware River. If you completely cross the bridge and stay on the west bank, you're fine. In fact, the PA welcome center is pretty nice, and the gas stations in Matamoras are reasonably priced for PA. Plus there are a couple fireworks shops and a couple smoke shops as well. There's also a gun store, but I've never been there. Looks like a hilarious position, literally right on the west bank of the Delaware, in taunting distance of NY. I may have to stop there next time I go that way.

... As to travel, the last time I went to PA with firearms I took I-84 from the Hartford area west. ... Stay on I-84 ... to the Scranton area before I turned south.

Honestly, that's overkill. The shithole states end at the Delaware River. If you completely cross the bridge and stay on the west bank, you're fine. ...

Overkill for the purpose of avoiding anti-gun attitude, maybe, but the drive is more pleasant than going through the city. Plus you can detour through Hershey and buy chocolate on your way to points south. It is an hour or two longer than going through NYC/NJ.

Overkill for the purpose of avoiding anti-gun attitude, maybe, but the drive is more pleasant than going through the city. Plus you can detour through Hershey and buy chocolate on your way to points south. It is an hour or two longer than going through NYC/NJ.

I was referring to his paranoia about easily crossing back into NY. I drive that route myself all the time. You can't really unknowingly cross back into NY, since there's only one other bridge in Matamoras, and crossing into NJ once you're across the river is all but impossible unless you drastically deviate from the I-84 corridor.

I was referring to his paranoia about easily crossing back into NY. I drive that route myself all the time. You can't really unknowingly cross back into NY, since there's only one other bridge in Matamoras, and crossing into NJ once you're across the river is all but impossible unless you drastically deviate from the I-84 corridor.

I just set my gps for wherever I'm headed but I ignore it until I reach the outskirts of Scranton. Never had a problem.

Many thanks.

As somebody stated above we don't have non-resident licenses, you will be issued a license just like every other PA resident. The only reason to get a license ahead of time is if you are moving to Philadelphia. Its the same process here in the city as every other county in PA, its just more painful and you will wait in line. Its not so much that Philadelphia is trying to keep you from getting a carry permit, its just everything in Philly is a pain in the ass.

In any other county wait until you move and go to your sheriffs office and in 99% of the counties you will walk out with your permit in 20 minutes.

If you are moving anywhere near Philadelphia, let me know if you need a club recommendation. I shoot some trap and IDPA but lately I am all about long range shooting. One thing that is very cool is you will have multiple IDPA, 3-Gun and anything you can think of almost every weekend. PA also has quite a few 1000 yard ranges and learning and competing in long range has been a riot. Western PA is truly the wilds man, and its only a couple of hours away. If you hunt get on the list for an Elk license immediately. Anyway, good luck and welcome to PA.

Edit: After my two years in Mass I drove my firearms to PA myself in the back of my pickup in three trips. It was covered and locked and I was good to go in my mind, I drove right through Jersey. I had a cool moving truck driver and he offered to take them on the moving truck since he had an LTC but I wanted to keep them with me.

Last edited:

Many thanks.

Regarding routes to take: when I traveled from Massachusetts to Ohio and back a couple of years ago, I avoided the entire NYC/NJ/CT area by taking the Mass Pike west to Albany, then south on I-87 to I-84, and west on I-84 to Pennsy. I spent an extra hour-plus in central NY during the southward leg from Albany, but it's nice scenery and IMO it was worth it to avoid the traffic nightmare that is NYC. I didn't have any guns on board, though; since you will, you may want to get through NY as fast as legally possible, in which case the direct route might well be best.

Feel free to ignore, was just a thought...

It was my understanding that PA does have non resident CCW license. This site appears to agree: Non-Resident Carry Permits in Pennsylvania

It doesn't apply to the OP because he's actually moving there, but they apply to those of us that aren't moving there.

31 states honor a Pennsylvania ccw license

RESIDENT

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

NON-RESIDENT
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Pennsylvania Gun Laws: Get The Latest Info For 2018

It was my understanding that PA does have non resident CCW license. This site appears to agree: Non-Resident Carry Permits in Pennsylvania

It doesn't apply to the OP because he's actually moving there, but they apply to those of us that aren't moving there.

31 states honor a Pennsylvania ccw license

RESIDENT

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

NON-RESIDENT
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Pennsylvania Gun Laws: Get The Latest Info For 2018

It's just a technicality, we issue non-residents the same license I carry at the same price. We don't issue a non-resident license, the address will show your current out of state residence and is good for five years. When I first moved back I went to get my PA license and I still had three years on my current PA carry permit issued to me. They told me to come back in three years, I was legal and why waste the $20.

Edit: The site you provided is accurate and is our equivalent to Northeast Shooters but unfortunately lacks all of the drama. Just be careful the reciprocity shown there is for a PA resident. The AG has reworked a bunch of reciprocity agreements and Non-Residents can't carry in nearly the states they could with a PA carry permit.

Last edited:
And don't drive like an a-hole, keep your speed down and make sure all of your lights work and (this sounds dumb) that your vehicle has a current registration sticker on it. :D

Last edited:
Honestly, that's overkill. The shithole states end at the Delaware River. If you completely cross the bridge and stay on the west bank, you're fine. In fact, the PA welcome center is pretty nice, and the gas stations in Matamoras are reasonably priced for PA. Plus there are a couple fireworks shops and a couple smoke shops as well. There's also a gun store, but I've never been there. Looks like a hilarious position, literally right on the west bank of the Delaware, in taunting distance of NY. I may have to stop there next time I go that way.

This. I leave at 2-3 am and get thru all the SW CT bullshit before it happens. I usually stop for gas and the first bathroom break in Metamoras. They just built a nice welcome center as well. Easy on and off.
Its about 3-3.5 hours / 200 miles from central ma.

Perkins for breakfast if it fits the travel time in Metamoras, but that usually too early. If not then Perkins near Harrisburg, at about the 400 mile mark at 9ish am.

Ill be making the run down to SC in the spring for Graduation

Last edited:

Many thanks.
You just move with them. Simple as that. I drove the truck from MA to PA when I have moved, and all my firearms in the safe. No issues. Side note, even though I have notified whomever needed to be notified in MA of my moving, still got the notice to renew my LTC....

Back
Top Bottom