• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving/Transferring my guns to MA as a resident holding an LTC

Hey all, so I've been having a difficult time finding a straight answer to this issue. I moved to Boston about 2 years ago and will be here for approx. 2 more. I have since applied for an LTC and currently waiting for it to come in the mail. I already own multiple firearms that I keep with my father down in Florida so I'm not really looking to purchase one here in MA. I understand that firearm restrictions/compliance and "the roster" concerns only the MA dealers and not actual firearm ownership in the state. However, I have heard that a MA FFL won't transfer a non-MA compliant firearm from a FFL in Florida. Which leaves me with the following simple question: how the heck to I get my very sweet and innocent, no big-deal M&P 2.0 shield with less than 10lbs of trigger pull (non-MA compliant) up here so I can actually justify going through the process of getting an LTC? Should I just check it in at the airport? can it only be transported by car? is there any way an FFL can transfer it if I already own it? Do I need to transfer it to another state and pick it up?

Before this goes to 783 posts, please explain further about "Applied for the LTC and waiting for it to come in the mail" in Boston. Jack.
I applied for an LTC over the past couple of months while living here in MA. I took the class, submitted the application/interview/fingerprints, went to Moon Island and passed their shooting test and now I'm just waiting for my LTC to come in. Only problem is, I am gunless for now, and tbh I'm not sure what to do about it once my LTC comes in.

I applied for an LTC over the past couple of months while living here in MA. I took the class, submitted the application/interview/fingerprints, went to Moon Island and passed their shooting test and now I'm just waiting for my LTC to come in. Only problem is, I am gunless, and tbh I'm not sure what to do about it once my LTC comes in.
OK. No offence intended. Others will chime in. Jack.

You can bring the gun back to MA with you by plane (follow TSA and airline rules for transport) or by car (follow FOPA exactly). No need for FFLs or transfers. You merely do a eFA-10 as "registration" (skip first screen and only fill out info on you and the gun).

Per Fed Law, you can NOT have your Father ship the gun to you.

You can only do this after you get your LTC.

You can not possess it on any school/college property at any time. So if you live in a college dorm or apartment it's a no-go.

Boston also has it's own AWB (different than MGL AWB) and mag restrictions (again different than MGL AWB/mag ban) for long guns only (at this point in time).

You can bring the gun back to MA with you by plane (follow TSA and airline rules for transport) or by car (follow FOPA exactly). No need for FFLs or transfers. You merely do a eFA-10 as "registration" (skip first screen and only fill out info on you and the gun).

Per Fed Law, you can NOT have your Father ship the gun to you.

You can only do this after you get your LTC.

You can not possess it on any school/college property at any time. So if you live in a college dorm or apartment it's a no-go.

Boston also has it's own AWB (different than MGL AWB) and mag restrictions (again different than MGL AWB/mag ban) for long guns only (at this point in time).

I’ve heard from another source, who is considered an expert, that if you legally owned guns in another state and you get the LTC and move here with guns you have a 60 day grace period and no further action is necessary. Is there a cite where one can see that the fa10 is required for moving into the state? I’m sure this person would want to be informed if he’s giving out bad information down at the old gun club.

I’ve heard from another source, who is considered an expert, that if you legally owned guns in another state and you get the LTC and move here with guns you have a 60 day grace period and no further action is necessary. Is there a cite where one can see that the fa10 is required for moving into the state? I’m sure this person would want to be informed if he’s giving out bad information down at the old gun club.
If you move in with them you have 60 days grace period to get your LTC. But you must lock them up until you get your LTC in-hand. Read the OP, he's already been here 2 years and is just now applying for his LTC. Thus, the above doesn't apply to him.

If you move in with them you have 60 days grace period to get your LTC. But you must lock them up until you get your LTC in-hand. Read the OP, he's already been here 2 years and is just now applying for his LTC. Thus, the above doesn't apply to him.

So then to further clarify: I move into the state today with guns. I get the LTC within the 60 day window and go from there. Is the FA10 necessary for each gun? The reason I ask is I heard this in a class at a gun club that was taught by someone who is prominent in one of the well known local gun rights groups. He said the FA 10 is not necessary in that scenario.

So then to further clarify: I move into the state today with guns. I get the LTC within the 60 day window and go from there. Is the FA10 necessary for each gun? The reason I ask is I heard this in a class at a gun club that was taught by someone who is prominent in one of the well known local gun rights groups. He said the FA 10 is not necessary in that scenario.
Refreshing!

If you move in with the guns, no FA-10 is ever required. It is the only exception to that registration requirement.

Back
Top Bottom