• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

moving to Townsend

So im not sure if this is the right section or not but i had a general question.. I have an active unrestricted LTC-A, currently i live in Clinton but i am moving to Townsend and i am wondering if my resrrictions will change as im not sure on this towns 2A outlook. Maybe some people from the town could chime in and let me know what to expect?

Also im curious as to the proper procedure on how to go about updating my info once i move. Do i need to go to the police station and fill out a form?

Sorry if these questions have been brought up before im just looking for some info..

Your restrictions will not change when you move - your new town's PD cannot change them until you renew your LTC.

Townsend is listed as "green" in this thread so you'll probably be fine when it comes time to renew.

When you move you need to send change of address notifications via certified mail to three places: The Firearms Record Bureau, the police department in the town you're moving from, and the police department in the town you're moving to.

This link has a handy form you can use for the change of address notifications.

Thanks for the info guys. I am not renewing for a few more years so i should not need letters of recomendation.

Its good to know the town is pro 2a tho. As is clinton which makes me feel good!

I find it odd anyone would restrict a non restricted lisence on a renewal. Unlees there was some kind of of conviction or something.

I agree, but its more of a formality, I don't think they read them. After that its unrestricted.

I'd rather deal with that, than no letters and a target card.

Let's put it this way, none of the surrounding towns do it. Not to mention nearly all of them require it the first time; not sure why someone shoukd have to prove themselves again; ignoring, of course, that the whole letter BS is not specified by law. My guess is the towns use it to weed out fly by night applications to reduce the volume of apps.

I find it odd anyone would restrict a non restricted lisence on a renewal. Unlees there was some kind of of conviction or something.

Lots of shit towns do it. Brookline, Watertown, Canton, Springfield, etc.. some semi shit towns will do it if you let them get away with it.

Very 2a, but you will need three letters of recommendation upon renewal. No restrictions are the norm.

Sounds like a contradictory statement to me. How can they be pro2A when they are adding extra steps that are not required by law?

Go a few more miles north and move to New Hampshire.

Do this. Townsend is a nice little town, but so are several towns in NH a few miles north. You have Mason (hardly anything is ever for sale there though), New Ipswich and Rindge all right there. I commute through Townsend on my way to NH, and it makes me wonder about those just hundreds of yards from the border. So close, but so far.

So close to freedom yet so far.

At least you have a pretty awesome coffee shop in Gourmet Donuts though

So im not sure if this is the right section or not but i had a general question.. I have an active unrestricted LTC-A, currently i live in Clinton but i am moving to Townsend and i am wondering if my resrrictions will change as im not sure on this towns 2A outlook. Maybe some people from the town could chime in and let me know what to expect?

Also im curious as to the proper procedure on how to go about updating my info once i move. Do i need to go to the police station and fill out a form?

Sorry if these questions have been brought up before im just looking for some info..

Welcome...great little town. I'm on the west side. PM me if you ever need anything.

Welcome...great little town. I'm on the west side. PM me if you ever need anything.

Thanks! Just moved in last weekend, I am on the west side as well.

And so I understand this. I just fill out 3 of these forms send them to their locations attention firearms department? No need to call FRB/DCJIS, or include a written summary to whom it may concern?

Thanks! Just moved in last weekend, I am on the west side as well.

And so I understand this. I just fill out 3 of these forms send them to their locations attention firearms department? No need to call FRB/DCJIS, or include a written summary to whom it may concern?

Yes, sent via certified mail. See MGL Chapter 140 Section 131, paragraph (l) for the exact wording:

Any licensee shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued said license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of said license.

Back
Top Bottom