• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

moving to the Free State...

...to NH that it. we picked out three towns with good schools and close to MA border (still have to work in MA at least for now) and it's time to find out the good the bad and the ugly about these three towns firearms related or not.
Folks in NH or with knowledge of the area please share your views on my tentative choices.

Towns are: Amherst, Hollis and Merrimack.

i'm also curious if there are any good ranges in the area, stores (gun but not only), rush hour traffic conditions, other attractions if any. I'm myself from south-eastern MA and not at all familiar with that area. so pretty much any input is good.

Last edited:
All three towns are close to route 3 (with Merrimack being the closest as it runs through it).

Merrimack, while a town, is a well populated town and thus more akin to a city. That said it is still more on the suburban side and I've not heard of many issues with conceal carry licenses there. My only complaint with Amherst is that route 101A sucks with traffic and you have to take that road (well, it is the most direct way) to get to route 3.

Hollis is a nice town in that it is extremely rural. I've heard the property taxes are on the higher side but don't quote me on that. I lived in Nashua for a bit a stones throw from the Hollis line (Broad Street). If you want to "live kinda in the woods" but still be close to a major city like Nashua, Hollis is that town.

I know nothing of town politics for any of those towns but I do believe they all lean republican for state reps.

First, congratulations!

Merrimack is where Nashua fish and Game is located. As to the other logistics of the towns, ????
Hollis and parts of Amherst are also within a fair distance of Nashua F&G, and the North/West corner of Amherst is a quick run to Purgatory (PFF&GC). Both clubs are at their membership caps, and you'll need a sponsor.

...to NH that it. we picked out three towns with good schools and close to MA border (still have to work in MA at least for now)
You might consider expanding your options. For example, since you're considering Hollis/Amherst, maybe add Milford to the list? Also, if you're looking to go semi-rural and shoot on your land, read up on the applicable laws and also "current use". While it's possible to at least shoot .22s on 5 acres or so, watch out for restrictive covenants on the deed, and "[thread=116571]compact area[/thread]". Once you get into +11 acres, you start to see [thread=252557]current use[/thread], and will only rarely be in a compact area. For land with a house already on it, current use is usually positive factor.

and it's time to find out the good the bad and the ugly about these three towns firearms related or not.
There are no red towns in New Hampshire. Yes, some towns are better than others, for example Amherst is known for a quick turnaround on P&R (carry) licenses. My recommendation is to visit prospective homes on a Saturday morning, stand still for ten minutes, see how many gunshots you can count.

...stores (gun but not only), rush hour traffic conditions, other attractions if any. I'm myself from south-eastern MA and not at all familiar with that area. so pretty much any input is good.
Amherst is good for shopping in general with the slow crawl on 101A, has one good gun store, one bad. As mentioned, rush hour traffic on 101A and US-3 can be annoying, it really depends where in MA you need to get to, if you're going towards Boston,my condolences.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, OP, just remember that if I could (job/wife/family etc etc) move, I'd GLADLY, in a heartbeat, move to whatever is the the "worst" town in your list tomorrow.
So, after your selection process is complete and you're at the post office and RMV doing the change of address stuff and if you have even a whisp of uncertainty that you've made the right decision, just relax knowing there are guys who would give away every semi-auto they own and carry a friggin revolver, and a musket at home, if they could just enjoy other liberties unrestricted in NH.
And be "Free At Last" from this commie sh*thole. And I'm only being "semi" sarcastic in saying this. I'd honestly rather live in any sh*tty NH area than live in a "nice, quiet, toney" (aka " Anti") suburb of Boston...

That said, congrats and good luck, wherever you end up.

Last edited:
And when you get up here, please contact me so I can put you in touch with political activists. We need all the help we can get to ensure we keep the statehouse from going back to the anti's in 2016.

Also, sign up for the FSP. We need to move that counter closer to 20K. While you may not agree with all the positions espoused by many of the other participants, they are what I like to call "reinforcements" for liberty since a large number will become activists and almost all will vote in state elections. The sooner we get that 20K here in NH, the sooner we start to turn the tide IMHO.

https://freestateproject.org/user/register

There is even a "welcome wagon"

https://freestateproject.org/move/welcome-wagon

My work is in Needham. and as much as i would like to expand to Milford and Brookline that would make my commute to work unbearable. honestly speaking Amherst is already too far. Well most of parts of Amherst anyways. i'm Ok with somewhere on southern border with Hollis but any further and it'll make my commute bad. I'd like to keep it around an hour maybe 70 minutes tops. I can work my way around traffic hours by working from home part of the day too.

ideally i would want to make my commute less not more. so Hollis and southern Merrimack and SE Amherst would be the best. i'll be studying traffic patterns next couple of month too.

all was worried about that towns this close to MA border could be filled with MA spill-over that could be bringing whole freedom aspect of NH down.

rural sounds great. i'm not big on city-like living. Hollis is a best bet for me all around. not that many properties for sale there in my price range though

My work is in Needham. and as much as i would like to expand to Milford and Brookline that would make my commute to work unbearable. honestly speaking Amherst is already too far. Well most of parts of Amherst anyways. i'm Ok with somewhere on southern border with Hollis but any further and it'll make my commute bad. I'd like to keep it around an hour maybe 70 minutes tops. I can work my way around traffic hours by working from home part of the day too.

ideally i would want to make my commute less not more. so Hollis and southern Merrimack and SE Amherst would be the best. i'll be studying traffic patterns next couple of month too.

all was worried about that towns this close to MA border could be filled with MA spill-over that could be bringing whole freedom aspect of NH down.

rural sounds great. i'm not big on city-like living. Hollis is a best bet for me all around. not that many properties for sale there in my price range though

Basically every town on the Mass border is deep red due to Mass spillover. All the conservatives/libertarians in Mass who get sick of living there have basically "invaded" all the border towns (especially towns in Rockingham county). So realistically, any town touching the Mass border is fine, meaning you should look at other factors like property taxes, house prices, availability of apartments, etc.

Needham? Your commute is screwed no matter what. So I suggest expanding your list of towns in NH to those near a major highway, route 3, 93, and 95 (and don't forget route 125 since it intersects with 495).

If you can avoid traveling during rush hour, traffic is much less of a problem. And of course each full day you work in NH gives you a few tens of dollars bonus money in the form of not paying MA income tax.

Amherst ... somewhere on southern border with Hollis
That sounds like a good option -- The first NH property I put an offer on was nearly 20 acres of horse property in Amherst. Some real hidden gems, especially if you're willing to buy a place that needs a little work.

There's always a bit of that, but with statewide preemption on the important stuff, influence mostly shows in the tax rate. Theory is MA transplantees move to NH to get away from taxes, then realize their new town lacks trash pickup, traffic lights, etc and immediately votes to raise their and their neighbors taxes in order to obtain the amenities to which they've grown accustomed.

I agree, Hollis is pseudo-rural living for MA escapees who are still pulling in Boston incomes and like to play farmer/landscaper on weekends. Think "Air-conditioned riding mower" (NTTAWWT).

Only way you will do that is with serious off-hours commuting. During rush hour? Fuggeddaboutit.

Grew up on the south shore, now live in Merrimack. Been there for almost 15 years. Pretty much all the surrounding towns are great places, but I'm happy here. Merrimack has a little more blue collar feel to it (that's just compared to surrounding towns). All are fairly republican but again I get a little more of the environmental do gooder feeling from the other towns. I think Amherst and Hollis both rank higher on the school ratings but Merrimack is a quality school system that will provide a talented student what they need to advance their education.

In terms of gun stores Merrimack has Merrimack Firearms (near exit 11) and Collectible Arms and Ammo (near exit 12). Nashua Fish and Game and Horseshoe Fish and Game are both in town, Pointer Fish and Game is in Bedford right on the Merrimack border. Londonderry Fish and Game is across the river, not far over the new airport bridge. Pelham Fish and Game is a little far to drive regularly but is a great club too. Most of the clubs are at or near membership caps and have a waiting list.

Merrimack, while a town, is a well populated town and thus more akin to a city. That said it is still more on the suburban side and I've not heard of many issues with conceal carry licenses there. My only complaint with Amherst is that route 101A sucks with traffic and you have to take that road (well, it is the most direct way) to get to route 3.

Stay tuned. The chief in Merrimack is NOT 2-A friendly, though being NH he is somewhat limited in how he can push that.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/281294-NH-Attorney-For-Pistol-Permit-Denial

Basically every town on the Mass border is deep red due to Mass spillover. All the conservatives/libertarians in Mass who get sick of living there have basically "invaded" all the border towns (especially towns in Rockingham county). So realistically, any town touching the Mass border is fine, meaning you should look at other factors like property taxes, house prices, availability of apartments, etc.

Windham has 100% republican representatives in the House and Senate. Most republican town in NH.

What time do u get to work is the important question rt 3 is horrible both ways at rush hour 95 blows too. U may end up using one of your fancy new toys in yourself soon. Needham to either of those is a tough ride. Hollis has high property taxes but to me that's worth it to live in a rural area. I'd strike milford just because it's not fair enough to be worth it but just far enough to be a pain

Back
Top Bottom