• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to RI: Looking for MAtches

Hi all.

I Am very lucky as I currently have access to a full range for XTC and Palma. (about 1 hour away) and a reduced course to 300 yards (15 minutes away)

I practice XTC daily and am looking at getting more seriously into Palma. Can anyone recommend a couple ranges/clubs near Newport, RI.

I am looking at trying to plan out my CY12 schedule and this would help. I have shot at EA in VT but it has been about 13 years. Other than that I have not used any outdoor ranges in the NE.

Looking Forward to shooting with you hard holders.

Thank You.

Erik

As far as RI is concerned, there are no full distance ranges (I think the longest is 300yds), but they have a very active reduced course league at South County and Copicut. In Mass there is Reading Rifle and Revolver, in NH there is Nashua Fish and Game and in Southern Maine there is Scarborough Fish and Game, all have very active match schedules with ranges out to 600yds...you can google them or look on this site for schedules or info.

Glad to have you moving in

Charlie

I don't think there is anything real handy to you down there. Reading, MA is probably the closest full-XTC range to you. I know they shoot mid-range prone matches there.
Next would be Nashua, NH. Then Scarborough, ME. Then EA in VT. These all go out to only 600yds, though.
New York has the closest 1000yd range.

I don't think there are any Palma-specific matches being held in New England. Plenty of guys shooting them mixed in with the mid-range belly matches, though.

I see Charlie is quicker on the keys than I am.[grin]

Gents,
Thanks for the information. I will drive where-ever I have to for a full course. Even in the Winter. I have planned out a bunch of matches around the East Coast. Many Goals this year.

What distance is Palma and XTC?
Newport Rifle Club is the oldest rifle club in the country and I also heard that the first 1000yard match was shot there. Sadly, the range has been reduced to 100 yards now :-( There are still a lot of competetive shooters at the NRC for shorter ranges, but that might not be what you are looking for...
I think there is a 600 yard range in Somerset, but I am not sure.

welcome to the northeast Erik. you'll quickly figure out we have one of the most active high-power schedules in the country...considering we can really only shoot for ~ 6 months out of the year. great opportunities to learn from a lot of GREAT shooters too...IF you listen :)

Palma eh? I've been fascinated with it since I started shooting. just this past summer, I finally set myself up with a proper palma rig (McMillan Tubb2000 with a 30" 1:13 kreiger)....its a HAMMER...but I've yet to shoot 1000yds with it. Forbes (Albany County, NY) is the closest 1000yd range that I'm aware of. For now, I'm working on getting a REALLY solid 600yard zero for it. figure if I can hit a called X @ 600 for a first shot... I ought to be able to use a ballistics chart to estimate my come ups for 800/900/1000.

Hope to see you @ Reading / Nashua next year!....hell, come up this year when you get into town. We shoot an indoor/outdoor offhand league all winter...cause god knows EVERYONE needs more offhand practice lol.

for XTC...what are you shooting? Service Rifle?

Last edited:
Derek, Jasper, BPM,

Thanks again for the well wishes.

Jasper,

I to am a recent convert to Palma. I just bought my first Palma gun last summer. (Paramount 4 lug in a Mcmillian stock) I am a reformed Smallbore 3 position and Air Rifle shooter that picked up Highpower about 4 years ago. Still chasing distinguished so I spend 99 percent of my time with the service gun. At local walk and pastes 200 yards I will bring out my match rifle on occasion.

Erik

There are active long range shooters in the area. They hold a Mini-Palma between the Canadian Maritime and the New England states. Lots of history but it seems that it has not been promoted as I have not been able to find any information even though I have shot on the team a number of years ago. I'm sure the Reading guys will put you in touch with those involved if you are interested.

Good luck on the hunt for Distinguished.

B

Back
Top Bottom