• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to RI from MA

Can anyone point me to info on this or point me to where I can find info on this? If someone moves to RI and has handguns and long guns, what do they need to do as far as permits are concerned? Do they need to have a permit before they can move there? Or can they bring them and then apply for a permit?

Thanks

you have 60 days IIRC, you can bring the guns with you, just keep them locked up. I don't think you can bring any post ban hi caps, bit someone else can confirm that.

Buy all the good stuff NOW because you won't be able to get it in MA, and if wink wink nod nod, you should bring a few extra ones that are not on the approved list and want to dispose of them because you genuinely decided you didn't like or need them, then I'm sure a fellow NES member will buy them at what you paid for them

Sorry, But I am moving to RI from MA. Not to MA. I hope I never live in MA again, and I don't think I ever will. It's a horrible place to live. I feel dirty just thinking about it. The only unfortunate part is that I am moving to RI, which is MA's baby brother. So things didn't really get much better.

Do your homework, I could be wrong here. http://forum.cralri.com/ is a good place for RI stuff. Here are the RI laws on weapons. http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/statutes/title11/11-47/index.htm

1. In RI you need a CCW from your chief or the AG to conceal a pistol.

2. In RI you do not need a permit to buy a long-gun. Just wait 7 days and pass your NICS and 4473

3. In RI you need a "Blue Card" to buy a pistol & must wait 7 days and pass your NICS and 4473

4. You can take the test for your "Blue Card" at most gun shops. It's free and it's so easy, a caveman can pass it.

5. A "Blue Card" in RI is the equivalent of a restricted LTC-A in Ma. You can buy whatever you want, you just can't conceal it.

6. If you are issued a CCW from you chief you are exempt from the 7 day wait. Not all shops follow this.

Last edited:
Sigh . . . does anyone ever read a post before replying? [thinking]

Notify CHSB and the issuing PD per info posted in MA Gun Laws forum when you make the move. Your MA LTC becomes invalid immediately, but you won't have screwed yourself if you ever need to apply for a MA NR LTC in the future.

I don't know RI laws so I won't try to answer your question about what you may need to do when you move into RI. Check the RI gun rights org website, it should have more info. A link should be in the RI Gun Orgs sub-forum.

Good luck on the move.

nope MY reply, I made a mistake, read it the wrong way. Sorry.
move along people, nothing to see here

Thanks for everyone's help. You are all helping. I just want to know if someone can legally bring what they own to RI and keep it in their house or if they need to get a permit before all of that.

Thanks for everyone's help. You are all helping. I just want to know if someone can legally bring what they own to RI and keep it in their house or if they need to get a permit before all of that.

As long as it's not a machine gun or a silencer, bring whatever the hell you like. Bring your hi cap mags, bring your black rifles wig beta c mags, glocks....
You need to do nothing. The laws AS WRITEN are actually pretty good, the one we have problems with is town carry permits, most chiefs refuse to follow the law and issue. Yes RI is shall issue. What town are you going to, I can provide some insite.

moving to ri

i work for a ma law enforcement agancy and am moving to burrillville Ri dos any one have any insight on if i have a chance to get a ccp?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom