Moving to RI from MA with an unrestricted LTC. Will I get a carry permit in Tiverton, RI?

Just as the title reads. I'm considering a move to Tiverton from MA and would hate to lose my LTC. Has anyone gone through the process and what was it like? Can I expect to get a carry permit in Tiverton, considering I've had one for years in MA? The application looks pretty involved and daunting.

as far as i have heard it is hard to get carry permits in RI vs MA . It is basically NYC, but hey you can have those handy dandy ar pistols....[popcorn][popcorn] good luck

find someone connected

Last edited:
Just as the title reads. I'm considering a move to Tiverton from MA and would hate to lose my LTC. Has anyone gone through the process and what was it like? Can I expect to get a carry permit in Tiverton, considering I've had one for years in MA? The application looks pretty involved and daunting.

RI doesn’t care about your MA permit history.

Well, it feels like MA doesn't really care about my MA permit sometimes. I'm wondering if anyone has gone through this process and if they have any advice. I do not want to lose my ability to carry, but hate to pass up a great home because of this.

Even if you dont move to RI, you may want to consider geting a nonresident RI license anyway. There is a provision in RI Law which lets out of state residents to apply to whatever Law Enforcement agency they choose. Some PD's in RI are more inclined to issue than others. Just food for thought.

Start the application process now, even if you don't plan on moving until the winter. Tiverton is jammed up at the moment is at a 6 month lead time. Also your permit will cost $40 and be good for 4 years so you have time. Since your already akin to the MA fisting when getting your permit from Tiverton you will want them to take you out for a nice sea food dinner after. Yes they still give it to you, however they are "gentle". Also nothing is preventing you from bringing your firearms into the state when you move, you don't need the permit to own, just carry.

as far as i have heard it is hard to get carry permits in RI vs MA . It is basically NYC, but hey you can have those handy dandy ar pistols....[popcorn][popcorn] good luck

find someone connected
You heard wrong. Not even close to NYC.

I am under no delusions I could get a NYC carry permit if I lived there, but have had an AG issued RI one since 1992. Back in the old days (back when they were laminated paper), the AG signed each one issued by his office personally. At least two people I shoot with have them as well (I know because I do their shooting test every time theirs come up for renewal).

The RI AG permit is the only one I have ever seen that contains a notice on the reverse stating that any copying of the permit is cause for revocation.

Don't believe me? Bet me a gun and meet me at Hopkinton Sportsmens to do the transfer when you lose.

No state gives a shit about your Mass LTC. How can we get this across on this forum? Jack.
For starters, by explaining how your blanket statement is consistent with the official comminicado from the Nevada Department of Public Safety
http://rccd.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/gsd.nv.gov/content/FeesForms/Brady/2019 final (1) state list.pdf

Last edited:
Texas also honor a Mass LTC. There's no reciprocity, because it's Mass that doesn't give a shit about any other state's license.
A bunch of states (none contiguous with MA do) honor a MA LTC. I used NV since I could provide an official cite and do not believe in using "proof by assertion" when having discussions with those who disagree, nor do I like to cheat by asking Len S to post his opinion on the matter.

"Tricky territory" is answering "What level of honor does another state give to MA restricted LTC?". That is such a foreign to other states that I have not yet been able to find a recognition statute that even addresses the concept.

She’d have to be a super hot and agreeable to bringing a friend or three to play with you regularly to consider the move...

I looked at getting a non-resident RI permit from the town of Tiverton. First question asked was "Why do you feel your life would be in danger and feel the need to arm yourself while in the town of Tiverton"?

Back
Top Bottom