• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to NH

For many that is all they have to bitch about, They ain't happy unless they are bitching about some thing.

Answering the hunting question that is here some where if you are a deer hunter New Hampshire is not as free with their deer as Mass is. Len can correct me if I am wrong, IIRC in Mass a non resident with a non resident hunting license does not need and FID/LTC for hunting with long guns, There are storage and transport rules.

Joe is correct, thanks!

C. 140 S. 129C lists the following exemption from the requirements of a MA NR LTC.

Non resident hunters
(f) Possession of rifles and shotguns and ammunition therefor by nonresident hunters with valid nonresident hunting licenses during hunting season;

I would expect all EPOs in MA should be aware of this. I would also expect most other LEOs in MA to be ignorant of this exemption and for them to proceed accordingly (arrest and let's sort it out later).

Likewise even if not hunting there is the following exemption for NRs (that I would also expect most LEOs to not know).

(p) Carrying or possession by residents or nonresidents of so-called black powder rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor as described in such paragraphs (A) and (B) of the third paragraph of section 121, and the carrying or possession of conventional rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor by nonresidents who meet the requirements for such carrying or possession in the state in which they reside.

IANAL but I do believe that "conventional" in this case means low-capacity long guns that use fixed cartridges. C. 269 S. 10(m) makes possession of large-capacity guns/mags illegal and has no exemptions other than what is listed below.

Unlawful possession or carrying a large capacity weapon or feeding device
(m) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (a) or (h), any person not exempted by statute who knowingly has in his possession, or knowingly has under his control in a vehicle, a large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device therefor who does not possess a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms issued under section 131 or 131F of chapter 140, except as permitted or otherwise provided under this section or chapter 140, shall be punished by imprisonment in a state prison for not less than two and one-half years nor more than ten years. The possession of a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B shall not be a defense for a violation of this subsection; provided, however, that any such person charged with violating this paragraph and holding a valid firearm identification card shall not be subject to any mandatory minimum sentence imposed by this paragraph.
The sentence imposed upon such person shall not be reduced to less than one year, nor suspended, nor shall any person convicted under this subsection be eligible for probation, parole, furlough, work release or receive any deduction from his sentence for good conduct until he shall have served such minimum term of such sentence; provided, however, that the commissioner of correction may, on the recommendation of the warden, superintendent or other person in charge of a correctional institution or the administrator of a county correctional institution, grant to such offender a temporary release in the custody of an officer of such institution for the following purposes only: (i) to attend the funeral of a spouse or next of kin; (ii) to visit a critically ill close relative or spouse; or (iii) to obtain emergency medical services unavailable at such institution. Prosecutions commenced under this subsection shall neither be continued without a finding nor placed on file. The provisions of section 87 of chapter 276 relative to the power of the court to place certain offenders on probation shall not apply to any person 17 years of age or over charged with a violation of this section.
The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to the possession of a large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device by:
(i) any officer, agent or employee of the commonwealth or any other state or the United States, including any federal, state or local law enforcement personnel;
(ii) any member of the military or other service of any state or the United States;
(iii) any duly authorized law enforcement officer, agent or employee of any municipality of the commonwealth;
(iv) any federal, state or local historical society, museum or institutional collection open to the public; however, that any such person described in clauses (i) to (iii), inclusive, is authorized by a competent authority to acquire, possess or carry a large capacity semiautomatic weapon and is acting within the scope of his duties; or
(v) any gunsmith duly licensed under the applicable federal law.

YAY!! Let's turn this into another MA vs NH pissing contest.

Serious question for the OP. Why would you continue to hunt in Mass for the foreseeable future? From any spot in NH, you're no more than 30-45 minutes from anything you want to hunt.

Please no pissing contest!!

Serious answer, I'm not sure I can just stop hunting areas that I've been hunting for 10 to 20+ years (I'm 34). Some areas I have either exclusive permission or know the few other people that hunt there as well. It's going to take a few years to build those types of relationships in a new area.

Great info Len! So basically once I'm an NR, if I put that plastic plug in the tube magazine, I'd be legal. So THAT's what those plastic plug things are for!!

Thanx for all the guidance everyone!!

And yes, the taxes will be much higher than I pay now, but at least I'll be free.....when I'm at home.

Serious answer, I'm not sure I can just stop hunting areas that I've been hunting for 10 to 20+ years (I'm 34). Some areas I have either exclusive permission or know the few other people that hunt there as well. It's going to take a few years to build those types of relationships in a new area.

Fair enough.

That is not in accordance with the law. I recommend following the letter of the law, regardless of what the FRB tells you.

This is directly from the official change of address .pdf I downoladed from the CHSB:

Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140, sections 129B and 131 state:
A cardholder shall notify the licensing authority that issued such firearms license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction such cardholder moves, and the commissioner of the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services of any change of address within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to notify any of these entities shall be cause for revocation or suspension of the license.

Instructions:

1. Complete the information below. Please PRINT CLEARLY.
2. Make a legible photocopy of the front side of your firearms identification card or license to carry.
3. Send this form and the photocopy of your license (via certified mail) to all of the following:
(1) The police department that issued your license
(2) The police department into the city/town where you have moved
(3) Firearms Records Bureau
200 Arlington Street, Suite 2200
Chelsea, MA 02150

ATN: Change of Address Notification
In lieu of notifying the FRB/DCJIS via certified mail, you may call 617.660.4722 to report your change of address. The following information is required: name, date of birth, active firearms license number, and driver’s license number for identity verification
. Notifications to the police departments must still be made in writing via certified mail.

If these are the actual printed instructions directly from the state agency in charge of handling LTC's, then I find it hard to believe that it isn't in accordance with the law.

Last edited:
This is directly from the official change of address .pdf I downoladed from the CHSB:

If these are the actual printed instructions directly from the state agency in charge of handling LTC's, then I find it hard to believe that it isn't in accordance with the law.

They actually gave you a pointer to the law. Let's go read it:

(11) A cardholder shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority that issued such card, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction such cardholder moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of such card.

Full text here: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129b

State agencies don't get to make up law -- they do get to write regulations, but in this case we are talking about a statute. And the statute in question requires you to notify by certified mail. The fact that the FRB says you can notify by phone does not change what the law says. The law does not allow you to notify by phone. The law requires you to use certified mail. Yes, the law is stupid, but it is what it is.

I understand that the FRB is trying to be kinder and gentler on this (as certified mail is a pain in the butt), but I strongly recommend against calling them. If you call them and the entry gets lost or they misspell your name or the dog eats the homework, then what proof do you have that you actually notified them of your address change? Instead, use certified mail, return receipt requested. That way you can at least prove that you sent them something.

Read the text of MGL in the cited quotation and then tell us what it says is the ONLY legal way to notify?

CERTIFIED MAIL: don't forget that you have to send the change of address by CERTIFIED MAIL. Please check the FRB website I think you have 30 days. I don't know what the procedure is for a resident converting to a NR license since I have only held NR licenses but I think you would need to notify your local PD as well.

Licenses are good for a year from the date they issue it - at least that is how my NR license timeline works. So if they issue it on July tenth then it expires a year from that date.

There is no procedure for converting your LTC from resident to non-resident. Its a entirely new application, to an entirely different entity, than your resident LTC.

Read the text of MGL in the cited quotation and then tell us what it says is the ONLY legal way to notify?

Mass is notorious for making stuff up as they go along anyway.
Example: The last two times I renewed my LTC, the LO wanted to see a recently issued BFS certificate.
The law specifically states that you are exempt from this requirement if you were licensed on 6/96, which I was, but the LO said to me flat out "we don't care what the law says, we want you take another Basic Firearm Safety course".
I'm so glad I live in NH now and don't have to deal with that BS anymore.

if you find it hard to believe that it isn't in accordance wit the law, its because you didn't actually go read the law. Go read it. It proscribes what is the correct way to do it. Its nice that they offer this way to do it, but it doesn't satisfy the law.

Then of course there is the issue, that eve if it did satisfy the law, I would rather put it in writing than trust someone that the phonetical was processed properly. Nice to have a paper record of it being done in vase someone ever moved back, etc etc.

This place sometimes [rolleyes]

Wait till you apply for your NH P&R. You're going to be bullshit about how easy it is and that you suffered under that boot for so long. The PD secretary called me and APOLOGIZED that it took her 3 days for my license to be issued. The application is one page controlled by the state, no tests, no interviews, no BS.

Funny, same here. They apologized because the lady who handles applications was on vacation and it *might* take longer than a week. License was delivered by a LEO about a week later.

Welcome.

if you find it hard to believe that it isn't in accordance wit the law, its because you didn't actually go read the law. Go read it. It proscribes what is the correct way to do it. Its nice that they offer this way to do it, but it doesn't satisfy the law.

Then of course there is the issue, that eve if it did satisfy the law, I would rather put it in writing than trust someone that the phonetical was processed properly. Nice to have a paper record of it being done in vase someone ever moved back, etc etc.

This place sometimes [rolleyes]

OK, if a state publication is proscribing an alternate method of notification that isn't in compliance with the law, then maybe someone should call them out on it.

Unless you are hunting Migratory Birds, why do you need to plug the tube magazine?

As I read above and hopefully understood it, a non res with a non res hunting license could possess a non high capacity long arm for hunting purposes. I am by no means an expert on all the crazy laws and stupid terms we use here in MA, but I thought that a shotgun with a non detachable 5 rnd tube was considered high cap?? I could be way off there, like I said, I just try to stay on the correct side of the law.

Tube-fed shotguns are a major gray area. Per MGL "black letter of the law" >5 capacity is "large capacity" and a felony if mfd after 9/13/1994. But what about mini-shells that make a 5-rd tube suddenly hold 10 rds??

At any rate, "EOPS has decided" that tubes on shotguns can not be large capacity (to wit, KSGs are sold by every gun shop in the state, 2 - 7 rd tubes on that sucker).

"I report, you decide!"

Tube-fed shotguns are a major gray area. Per MGL "black letter of the law" >5 capacity is "large capacity" and a felony if mfd after 9/13/1994. But what about mini-shells that make a 5-rd tube suddenly hold 10 rds??

At any rate, "EOPS has decided" that tubes on shotguns can not be large capacity (to wit, KSGs are sold by every gun shop in the state, 2 - 7 rd tubes on that sucker).

Just because EOPS made a decision doesn't change the exact wording of the law.

(sound like a familiar argument?)

Last edited:
Just because EOPS made a decision doesn't change the exact wording of the law.

(sound like a familiar argument?)

You missed my last sentence of that post . . . "I report, you decide!"

I'm merely giving both sides of this very gray story.

I thought the 5 shot rule for tube fed shotguns applied only to semi-autos and pumps were exempt anyway.

No, the mag/"feeding device" is a separate part of the law from the AW or "large capacity weapon" section of law. So a 20 rd mag for a bolt-action gun . . . the mag would still be illegal if not pre-ban in MA.

Back
Top Bottom