• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to NH

MAGA99

NES Member
Moving to NH soon. Can't wait to purchase some really cool dangerous Killy stuff that we are forbidden to possess here in ma! I have ma class a no restrictions. Still work in ma and will probably still hunt in ma for the foreseeable future. What do I do to be able to have out of state class a? I plan on notifying my town once we close on the house. Any advice is appreciated. Thanx.

you have to apply in person for $100 in chelsea, MA. every year.

This. And make sure you follow the notification time frame for your move on your current LTC or it can come back to bite you when you apply for your Non-R.

It's basically highway robbery, but it's actually easier to get a Non-R permit than an LTC from a procedural POV.

Sadly your new NR MA license may be restricted. Issuing restrictions, regardless of what you had before, is common. Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

Yikes, Chelsea?!?!?! Where can I read up on the laws on this? Does everyone line up on Dec 31st? Or is it 365 day period starting when you apply??

Everything else in MA is highway robbery, so I guess I'm not surprised living here my whole life.

I'm a simple guy, not looking for anything too special, would just like to be able to purchase the same brand new firearms that all my friends and family in NH own!!

Yikes, Chelsea?!?!?! Where can I read up on the laws on this? Does everyone line up on Dec 31st? Or is it 365 day period starting when you apply??

Everything else in MA is highway robbery, so I guess I'm not surprised living here my whole life.

I'm a simple guy, not looking for anything too special, would just like to be able to purchase the same brand new firearms that all my friends and family in NH own!!

RE: Application for Non-resident Temporary License to Carry Firearms Dear Applicant:All new and renewal non-resident temporary licenses to carry firearms (LTC) in Massachusetts are issued through the Massachusetts Instant Record Check System (MIRCS). MIRCS is a computer based application used to manage, process, and monitor firearms licensing statewide.To complete the application process, you must appear in person at the following address: Massachusetts Department ofCriminal Justice Information ServicesFirearms Records Bureau 200 Arlington Street Chelsea, MA 02150 You will receive a notice by mail or email with your scheduled date and time to appear for final LTC processing in Chelsea, MA. Appointments will be scheduled in the order that completed applications are received. The Firearms Records Bureau recommends that all applicants apply for renewal at least 90 days before their current license expires to allow time for processing. Pay close attention to the enclosed updated application instructions and complete the application accurately. A mistake onthe application or omission of required documentation will result in a delay in the application process or a denial of the application. Additionally, please take note of the enclosed explanation of applicable license restrictions.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/non-resident-application-revised-05-19-15.pdf

Congrats on the move, I find it completely ironic and laughable at the same time that pretty much all of my friends in New Hampshire only own a Shield and a Shotgun [sad2]

Wait till you apply for your NH P&R. You're going to be bullshit about how easy it is and that you suffered under that boot for so long. The PD secretary called me and APOLOGIZED that it took her 3 days for my license to be issued. The application is one page controlled by the state, no tests, no interviews, no BS.

CERTIFIED MAIL: don't forget that you have to send the change of address by CERTIFIED MAIL. Please check the FRB website I think you have 30 days. I don't know what the procedure is for a resident converting to a NR license since I have only held NR licenses but I think you would need to notify your local PD as well.

Licenses are good for a year from the date they issue it - at least that is how my NR license timeline works. So if they issue it on July tenth then it expires a year from that date.

Sadly your new NR MA license may be restricted. Issuing restrictions, regardless of what you had before, is common. Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

NOT true under current administration!

Congrats on the move, I find it completely ironic and laughable at the same time that pretty much all of my friends in New Hampshire only own a Shield and a Shotgun [sad2]

You need to find some new friends!

CERTIFIED MAIL: don't forget that you have to send the change of address by CERTIFIED MAIL. Please check the FRB website I think you have 30 days. I don't know what the procedure is for a resident converting to a NR license since I have only held NR licenses but I think you would need to notify your local PD as well.

Licenses are good for a year from the date they issue it - at least that is how my NR license timeline works. So if they issue it on July tenth then it expires a year from that date.

Certified Mail ONLY to issuing department and FRB for moves out of state, both within 30 days. Suggest get Return Receipts for both.

Moving to NH soon. Can't wait to purchase some really cool dangerous Killy stuff that we are forbidden to possess here in ma! I have ma class a no restrictions. Still work in ma and will probably still hunt in ma for the foreseeable future. What do I do to be able to have out of state class a? I plan on notifying my town once we close on the house. Any advice is appreciated. Thanx.
Congrats!

Sorry to hear you will still be a slave to mass.

Thanx everyone for all this great advice!! I thought I had to notify within 60 days, but maybe that's an in state move?? What do I know, I just TRY to follow the rules, I don't make em, haha.

That really sucks about the NR license for MA. I guess I would need that even to hunt in MA still once I'm an NH res, even thought I have a 2015 MA sporting license, doe tag, and JUST renewed my MA LTC like 4 months ago. Suck.

Soon to be two less right wing nut jobs voting in MA, add two to NH. Can't wait to buy a sig from my friend in NH that has been a dealer for years but has not been able to sell me one!!

And yes shocknawe you do need better friends, hehe, although I do love my shield!!!

That is not in accordance with the law. I recommend following the letter of the law, regardless of what the FRB tells you.

I agree and have had this discussion with Michaela. She's trying to provide a "customer service" but I see 2 problems with it.

- The law doesn't allow for it. It should be changed.
- Getting info correct over the phone can be a challenge. MANY people when I tell them my name is Len, come back with OK GLEN!

Wait till you apply for your NH P&R. You're going to be bullshit about how easy it is and that you suffered under that boot for so long. The PD secretary called me and APOLOGIZED that it took her 3 days for my license to be issued. The application is one page controlled by the state, no tests, no interviews, no BS.

Yup, filled out the form and paid $10 on a Friday at lunch time, and an officer dropped off the license at my house on Tuesday evening. Nice.

Wait until you get your first NH real estate tax bill.....
Everyone claims that NH real estate taxes are so awful. My wife and I are selling our place and looking into moving to NH. Real estate taxes are a fair bit higher, but they don't tax the piss out of everything else. It becomes a wash in the end.

YAY!! Let's turn this into another MA vs NH pissing contest.

Serious question for the OP. Why would you continue to hunt in Mass for the foreseeable future? From any spot in NH, you're no more than 30-45 minutes from anything you want to hunt.

Everyone claims that NH real estate taxes are so awful. My wife and I are selling our place and looking into moving to NH. Real estate taxes are a fair bit higher, but they don't tax the piss out of everything else. It becomes a wash in the end.

People make a blanket statement, but its dependent on what town youre in. MA property taxes are lower on average, but not every NH town is outrageous. I used to have a map color coding NH rates by town, but I cant seem to find it.

http://revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/municipal/documents/2014-local.pdf

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/bbj_research_alert/2012/12/massachusetts-property-tax-rates.html

nhtaxes.jpg
Edit- found it, its from '09, but shows the differences between towns.

Last edited:
Exactly. Politicians want your money.

People make a blanket statement, but its dependent on what town youre in. MA property taxes are lower on average, but not every NH town is outrageous. I used to have a map color coding NH rates by town, but I cant seem to find it.

http://revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/municipal/documents/2014-local.pdf

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/bbj_research_alert/2012/12/massachusetts-property-tax-rates.html

View attachment 146420
Edit- found it, its from '09, but shows the differences between towns.

The trouble with this chart is that it only compares tax rate - it doesn't take assessment into account.

There was a point approximately 10 years ago when the tax rate in my town was over $45/k. The town was reassessed, and suddenly the rate dropped to $25/k. The total valuation in the town had more than doubled. The net effect was the same - your tax bill didn't change by much, but it made the tax rate 'sound' better.

Rate is only half the equation.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom