• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to NH from Mass - What about my current LTC?

I'm moving to NH next month and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do about my Mass LTC. I plan to file for a Non-Resident license immediately but I'm not sure about the procedure for turning in my current license. Do I just need to notify my local PD that I moved and provide them with my new address or ?

Do I need to notify the state that my FA10 registered guns are leaving?

Anyone have a link to the law about this?

Your LTC in Mass is invalid once you move. If you want an LTC in Mass, you have to apply like any other out of stater...

Up here, nobody cares what guns you have. No registration or permission to own. Once you have moved in, go to your local PD and apply for the Concealed Weapons license, you'll have it within 2 weeks for $10. Until then, feel free to open carry as you wish, just no loaded handguns in the car until you have the license. That's it, enjoy the freedom.

Sorry that was a bit sarcastic.

No law links, but you do need to notify the licensing authority in Mass you moved... good luck on the non resident process...

Last edited:
Your LTC in Mass is invalid once you move. If you want an LTC in Mass, you have to apply like any other out of stater...

Yes, I understand. This is why I'd like to find out exactly who and where I need to notify so I can re-apply for a Non-resident and show that I followed the proper procedure. I don't want to be disqualified because of some stupid technicality like I didn't drop a letter off in person on a Sunday at exactly 1:52am or something dumb.

Yes, I understand. This is why I'd like to find out exactly who and where I need to notify so I can re-apply for a Non-resident and show that I followed the proper procedure. I don't want to be disqualified because of some stupid technicality like I didn't drop a letter off in person on a Sunday at exactly 1:52am or something dumb.

I'd suspect that notifying the issuing agency (local PD) and whatever the State bureau is called, by registered letter, should cover you. If I'm mistaken the Mass lawyers will correct.

Too many times seeing a thread that starts "I've moved to NH, is my LTC valid up there?" [grin]

Concealed Weapons license, you'll have it within 2 weeks for $10. Until then, feel free to open carry as you wish, just no loaded handguns in the car until you have the license. ...

Not to change the thread, but.

That sounds funny, you can open carry a loaded gun but it's a nono to open carry a loaded gun in a vehicle, why can't you open carry that same gun in a vehicle.

I no it's a tecnacality but it just seems funny that you can open carry but you can't open carry in a vehicle.

That said I wish we had NH laws here in MA, boy that would be nice.

Good Luck with the move and enjoy NH.

Notify MA/local licensing authority as required in Chapter 140, use certified mail, return receipt requested.

If you have anything that can't be easily found in MA, consider selling it to a NES green member before leaving. You can buy another when you get to NH probably for less than you would get for the one you sold.

Welcome to the free world

Not to change the thread, but.

That sounds funny, you can open carry a loaded gun but it's a nono to open carry a loaded gun in a vehicle, why can't you open carry that same gun in a vehicle.

I no it's a tecnacality but it just seems funny that you can open carry but you can't open carry in a vehicle.

That said I wish we had NH laws here in MA, boy that would be nice.

Good Luck with the move and enjoy NH.

Illogical laws are everywhere

Since we have a few people familiar with the Mass. change of address thing, anyone have any idea how this applies to military personnel moving out of state on PCS orders whose home of record is Massachusetts?

Notify MA/local licensing authority as required in Chapter 140, use certified mail, return receipt requested.

If you have anything that can't be easily found in MA, consider selling it to a NES green member before leaving. You can buy another when you get to NH probably for less than you would get for the one you sold.

Welcome to the free world

Most of my stuff is C&R, the "normal" stuff I have you can get in Mass pretty easily. No Glocks or H&Ks, etc.

Not to be the downer, but assuming your unrestricted make sure you let us know if it stays that way when you get your Non-Res.

I'm restricted now and I expect it to be restricted when I get a non-resident LTC. I'd love an unrestricted but I know it won't happen. I want to be able to meet up with friends to go shooting and stay a member at my current club in Mass since the renewal isn't that much.

I'm restricted now and I expect it to be restricted when I get a non-resident LTC. I'd love an unrestricted but I know it won't happen. I want to be able to meet up with friends to go shooting and stay a member at my current club in Mass since the renewal isn't that much.

That sux, well maybe you'll get lucky from what I've read sometime they'll remove T&H on renewal the upside to Non-Res is it's every year. Since NH only gives permits that actual let you carry that will be one more argument. I'm from MA but can't bring my self to send in my "Application for Denial". Between my VA and Non-Res NH, I can carry in like 33 states, and MA will still restrict me. I can tell you from experience, Once you move to a free state, there's no going back!

I'm moving to NH next month

Congrats and welcome!

[...snip...]

I suspect the logic is something along the lines of a vehicle "conceals" the gun. Think of a vehicle like a big sheetmetal jacket and it might make more sense?

You're thinking about it the wrong way, the law has nothing to do with concealment with regards to that prohibition. It's because NH has a law which has a wholesale ban against carrying loaded handguns in a vehicle, and the only exemption to that ban is for individuals with the P/R license. (There might be an LE exemption, too, obviously, but that's beyond the scope of this really).

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom