Moving to NH from MA - Converting Resident LTC to Non-Resident LTC

Need some advice please, I am thinking of moving to New Hampshire. I currently have a non-restricted LTC A in MA, if move I will need to change my resident LTC to a Non-Resident LTC? Anybody know how this works?

Thx

don't know for sure but i don't think it's like...presto, all set. you may have to apply like all non-residents and pay the fee.

First, there are differing opinions on whether your MA resident LTC stays valid after you move out of state.
Some say, as long as you file a change of address, the LTC stays valid until it's expiration or the licensing official expires it.
Others say, since it was issued as a resident LTC it becomes invalid when you stop being a resident.
I'm on one side of this and others are on the other side. I think I've fairly put forth the information and leave this up to you.

But one thing is clear, you will need to apply for a non-resident LTC if you want to possess a gun in MA once you current LTC is invalid (whatever that means to you). It's a new non-res LTC and there is nothing special about the process because you had a MA LTC. But I have heard, and this is unconfirmed, that you have a better chance of getting a non-res unrestricted LTC if you had a MA res unrestricted LTC.

And welcome to NH were we done need a permission slip.

ETA: Go Green. And get involved, gun owners in NH are under attack in the legislature. The want to make NH into the PRM North.

I would NOT want to be the test case for getting caught with so much as a spent shell in MA, after moving to NH, and claiming my MA LTC was still valid after notifying the licensing authority

I think a cop would have a difficult time justifying an arrest for carrying without an LTC when you have an LTC. BUT... It's not beyond comprehension.

There is no law that states that an LTC becomes invalid when you move out of the state. Now, if do the proper notifications, and the chief revokes your LTC and notifies you of such, that's a different story.

So for a few thousand dollars, I'll be happy to explain the above to the judge.

What you really need to figure out is how important is it to you to carry in Massachusetts before you receive your non-resident LTC? If you argue that you were not carrying without an LTC and lose, I bet I could get Comm2A to pay for your appeal, while you're sitting in jail for 18 months.

There is no law that states that an LTC becomes invalid when you move out of the state. Now, if do the proper notifications, and the chief revokes your LTC and notifies you of such, that's a different story.

I know, you're a lawyer and I'm not, but even you admit it will end up in front of a judge so obviously it isn't 100% clear.

My reasoning is that there are two distinct paths to issuance of an LTC, Resident(which includes a business address), and non-resident. And licenses are issued under the specific section that applies. And there are specific qualifications that determine which of these a person fits. And once you no longer qualify you can not hold a license issued under that section (or sub section, or paragraf, or whatever you want to call it).

But until someone goes to court I guess we won't know for sure.

And since there are other ways to deal with this, it's not going to be my hill to die on.

You need to apply for a MA non-res LTC through the FRB in Chelsea.

If you currently hold a non-restricted license it will help you get the same. Enjoy the wait and prepare to renew right around the time you actually get the card in the mail.

I think a cop would have a difficult time justifying an arrest for carrying without an LTC when you have an LTC. BUT... It's not beyond comprehension.

So for a few thousand dollars, I'll be happy to explain the above to the judge.

What you really need to figure out is how important is it to you to carry in Massachusetts before you receive your non-resident LTC? If you argue that you were not carrying without an LTC and lose, I bet I could get Comm2A to pay for your appeal, while you're sitting in jail for 18 months.

What if you notified and then the chief or EOPS does none of the above? I've known like 3 people that moved out and did the "good little boy" thing and never got any kind of a notice from
either the state or their old chief, outside of their certified mail receipts. Awhile ago at least one other person here (I forget the user offhand) said that they did it and their resident LTC still passed validation some months later... I suspect that EOPS is intentionally not killing off the licenses quickly or at all and just letting them expire, because they don't want someone using this as a wallhack to town-shop their way out of a shitty issuing authority and a restricted license. Either that or its just out of laziness/inefficiency on their part.

-Mike

What if you notified and then the chief or EOPS does none of the above? I've known like 3 people that moved out and did the "good little boy" thing and never got any kind of a notice from
either the state or their old chief, outside of their certified mail receipts. Awhile ago at least one other person here (I forget the user offhand) said that they did it and their resident LTC still passed validation some months later... I suspect that EOPS is intentionally not killing off the licenses quickly or at all and just letting them expire, because they don't want someone using this as a wallhack to town-shop their way out of a shitty issuing authority and a restricted license. Either that or its just out of laziness/inefficiency on their part.

-Mike

I had a MA LTC issued in 2013. I moved to CT in 2016 and sent certified letters to the local police chief and FRB notifying them of my move out of the state and never received any responses. In 2018 I moved back to MA, applied for an LTC in my new town (Different than 2013 town) and was told that given my circumstances, it would be processed as a renewal. I received my new LTC and when I went to do my first transaction, the eFA10 failed and said my LTC wasn't valid. I looked closely and the validation START date wasn't until my birthday in 2018. The FRB said that my old license from 2013 was still valid until my birthday in 2018 and sure enough when I went to do the eFA10 with the old LTC it worked. In other words, my LTC was "valid" the entire time I lived in CT from 2016-2018. I think it was laziness/inefficiency on their part.

There is also the issue of getting busted in Mass for CCW with a expired Mass LTC after you move to NH.

I believe it is a civil offense if you are busted.

However, that would probably make you unsuitable if you ever try to apply for a non-res LTC.

I think you should apply for a non-res LTC after you move to NH.

That way you'll be in the clear and save a few grand in legal fees.

There is also the issue of getting busted in Mass for CCW with a expired Mass LTC after you move to NH.

I believe it is a civil offense if you are busted.

However, that would probably make you unsuitable if you ever try to apply for a non-res LTC.

I think you should apply for a non-res LTC after you move to NH.

That way you'll be in the clear and save a few grand in legal fees.

There is no suitability clause for a non-res LTC.
I believe, technically, it's may issue, but appeals are handled by the FRB, not the district court, which is far better at following the actual law.
So it's actually a better situation, in some ways, to be a non-res.

But I agree, just get the non-res LTC.

There is no suitability clause for a non-res LTC.
I believe, technically, it's may issue, but appeals are handled by the FRB, not the district court, which is far better at following the actual law.
So it's actually a better situation, in some ways, to be a non-res.

But I agree, just get the non-res LTC.
In Firearms Records Bureau v.Simkin the SJC determined that some elements of c. 140 s. 131 are applicable to non-resident licenses issued pursuant to c. 140 s. 131F. The SJC specifically ruled that suitability does apply to non-residents. The SJC ruled that some of the difference in the non-resident licensing process are effectively variations.

In relevant excerpt:
The first paragraph of § 131 reads: "All licenses to carry firearms shall be designated Class A or Class B, and the issuance and possession of any such license shall be subject to the following conditions and restrictions: . . ." (emphasis added). The plain language of the first paragraph thus strongly suggests that § 131 applies to all licenses to carry firearms, including

Page 176

those issued to nonresidents. The first paragraph also makes clear that all licenses are designated either Class A or B, and that "any such license" -- in other words, any license to carry firearms in Massachusetts -- is subject to the conditions imposed by § 131. Meanwhile, although § 131F provides that "[a] Class A or Class B temporary license to carry firearms . . . may be issued . . . to a nonresident," § 131F does not define what is meant by either "Class A" or "Class B." Rather, those terms are defined only in § 131. See G. L. c. 140, § 131 (a) & (b). The clear implication is that a license like Simkin's -- a Class A temporary nonresident license to carry firearms -- is "subject to the . . . conditions and restrictions" imposed by § 131, in addition to being subject to the provisions unique to temporary nonresident licenses imposed by § 131F.

An interpretation that subjects all licenses, including temporary nonresident licenses, to the suitable person requirement set forth in § 131 (f) is consistent with "[t]he goal of firearms control legislation in Massachusetts [, which] is to limit access to deadly weapons by irresponsible persons." Ruggiero v. Police Comm'r of Boston,

I moved out of state for school and my LTC still comes up as valid, though I'm not sure what I have to do about renewal.

I moved out of state for school and my LTC still comes up as valid, though I'm not sure what I have to do about renewal.

The test there would be is your move for school temporary?

Where are you registered to vote, drivers license, etc.

The test there would be is your move for school temporary?

Where are you registered to vote, drivers license, etc.

I changed my voting and drivers license to out of state since i was going to be gone for a few years, as well as to make getting an LTC here easier, but i intend to return to MA post grad.

I changed my voting and drivers license to out of state since i was going to be gone for a few years, as well as to make getting an LTC here easier, but i intend to return to MA post grad.
Did you send in your change of address?

Back
Top Bottom