Moving to New Jersey

Hey im moving to jersey from NC. i bought a gun here and i want to know what i have to do to have it in jersey. do i have to register it or what? someone please let me know..thanx.

You are probably making the biggest mistake of your life, and I am not talking about guns.

Avoid this if at all possible.

If you are going to be close to the NJ-PA border you should consider moving to PA instead.

Depending on what you own I think you can move to NJ with it and store it in your house but that is all. As you are moving, once you enter the state of NJ drive directly to your new home, no stopping for gas, food etc.

Possession of a firearm is presumed unlawful, unless you can demonstrate that your possession falls under one of a complex series of exemptions. Handguns require a carry permit (impossible to get) or you have to prove an exemption (i.e. transporting the handgun from my house to the range in a locked container with the ammunition separate), Long guns require a FID. Unlawful possessions gets you 10 years in prison.

For all practical purposes you need a FID (Firearm owners identification card) which you have to apply for at the local police, they are supposed to issue within 30 days but often take a lot longer (realistically expect 4-6 months, 2 references who will be contacted), fingerprints, federal/state background check, searches of mental health records). If you want to buy ammo, join a range, get stopped by the police going to a range etc they will want to see your FID.

If you want to purchase a handgun in NJ you need to go through that same process again for a handgun purchase permit (which is only valid for 90 days).

If you want to carry a concealed handgun and aren't screwing the Governor then you are out of luck.

Magazines with a capacity over 15rds are banned, as are many "assault weapons"

Hollowpoint ammo is as good as banned (legal to own, legal to use for hunting, just don't get caught with any outside your house otherwise).

Last edited:
Here are what are considered exemption to illegal possession of a firearm:

e. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

f. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:
(1) A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;
(2) A person carrying a firearm or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license;
(3) A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:
(a) Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or
(b) Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes
and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or
(c) In the case of a firearm, directly to or from any exhibition or display of firearms which is sponsored by any law enforcement agency, any rifle or pistol club, or any firearms collectors
club, for the purpose of displaying the firearms to the public or to the members of the organization or club, provided, however, that not less than 30 days prior to the exhibition or display, notice of the exhibition or display shall be given to the Superintendent of the State Police by the sponsoring organization or club, and the sponsor has complied with such reason-able safety regulations as the superintendent may promulgate.
Any firearms transported pursuant to this section shall be transported in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;
(4) A person from keeping or carrying about a private or commercial aircraft or any boat, or from transporting to or from such vessel for the purpose of installation or repair a visual distress signalling device approved by the United States Coast Guard.

g. All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the
course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Possession of a firearm is presumed unlawful, unless you can demonstrate that your possession falls under one of a complex series of exemptions. Handguns require a carry permit (impossible to get) or you have to prove an exemption (i.e. transporting the handgun from my house to the range in a locked container with the ammunition separate), Long guns require a FID. Unlawful possessions gets you 10 years in prison.

I have no idea where you got these impressions but they are total wrong. You will require a FID card to PURCHASE long gun and a FID card in addition to a Handgun Purchase Permit to purchase a handgun. Unlike some states, there in no approved list. You can purchase anything you wish. Magazine capacity is limited to 15 rounds and under.

Here are the state laws covering all areas of firearms..
http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_ag2.html

To obtain a FID card, two forms are required.
http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf FID/Handgun Permit Form
http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-066.pdf Mental Health Form

If all you do is wish to store the firearms in your home and none are considered illegal in the state, you need do nothing. A FID card may be required at this time to purchase ammo although it wasn't the last time I bought any which was some time ago.

PM me if you need for ranges and decent stores. I know the northern end of the state fairly well.

I have no idea where you got these impressions but they are total wrong.

I disagree. Laws have changed for the worse since you (and I) lived there, and are even worse since the passing of a new bill a couple of months back.

NJ Law said:
2C:39-5. Unlawful Possession of Weapons.

a.Machine guns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession a machine gun or any instrument or device adaptable for use as a machine gun, without being licensed to do so as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-5, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

b.Handguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person. Otherwise it is a crime of the second degree.

c.Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

(2)Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

d.Other weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

The exceptions to this law are listed a few posts up and the main ones are:

Keeping and carrying at your residence, business, and/or other land owned.
Transportation from home to business/other land owned and vice-versa (in a locked container with ammo separate)
Transportation to a new home when moving (in a locked container with ammo separate)
Taking it to be repaired (in a locked container with ammo separate)
Going to/from a firing range registered with the state police that has submitted a membership list to the state police (in a locked container with ammo separate)
Carrying in the woods/fields while hunting as long as you have a valid hunting license
To/from a hunting location as you have a valid hunting license (in a locked container with ammo separate)

Otherwise possession of a handgun is illegal! (it doesn't matter if you have a FID or purchased the handgun using a Purchase Permit - possession is illegal unless you meet one of the exceptions or have a license to carry).

The laws have not changed for the most part as far as licensing in the past ten years with the exception of the Mental Health Records check. I handled a good part of the firearm's processing for the department and kept up with the changes. You don't need anything to bring NJ legal firearms into the state. Nor do you need anything if you are a NJ resident to inherit, if legally able to do so. This is a very big misconception.

However, the best course of action is to apply for the FID card. You will probably need that for ammo purchases.

Too many people forget that it is a HANDGUN PURCHASE PERMIT, not a POSSESSION PERMIT. I dealt with this many times with residents moving in from out of state. NJ does have a form called the Voluntary Form for Firearm's Registration if any new state residents wish to do so. I don't remember ever seeing one come across my desk.

The transportation of firearms and ammo is correct. Secured and inaccessible. Another big misconception is the possession of hp ammo which contrary to popular belief is not totally banned for use.

We are both saying the same thing rscalzo, just in different ways [grin]

It is legal for bigguns13d to bring his gun with him to NJ (as long as it isn't one of the listed "assault weapons") as both transportation when moving house and possession in your house are exceptions to 2C:39-5.

However if he then forgets to remove it from his car and leaves his property, or has it incorrectly stored on his journey to his new home then he is guilty of unlawful possession which could get him 10 years.

That is correct. But as I said, he will want to get the process started in any case. It does take some time. Prints were a holdup as they must be submitted nib the older cards and cannot be submitted through AFIS. The second holdup usually was the referrals not getting the forms back. Now with the Mental Health checks I don't know how much longer they may take. We had only one processing the applications. That was due to the changing requirements a few times a year there was less chance for a screwup. The processing was in addition to all of his other work related duties. A civilian handled all the mailing and filing. But once the SBI number is issued the handgun permits usually aren't a big deal.

Hey im moving to jersey from NC. i bought a gun here and i want to know what i have to do to have it in jersey. do i have to register it or what? someone please let me know..thanx.

did you mean to type 'hey, I'm kidnapped and being forced into New Jersey against my will" ?

if thats the case, give us a sign, a keystroke, a smilie, some type of signal, and we'll send someone to rescue you

One of the biggest downsides of living in the state is the cost of living. State income tax, 7% sales tax, high car insurance. The only benefit is low cost car registration....

Very little in the way of outdoor ranges. Most handgun are indoors with few exceptions. There is a great HP range up in the Highland Lakes area. I shot there as a teenager with M-1's and M-14's through the DCM. Another one down on the Old Bridge area. Ray's Sport Shop on Rt.22 in Plainfield has a great indoor range open 9am to 9pm seven days a week.

Back
Top Bottom