Moving to New Hampshire

Check out Grafton, NH. Lot's of liberty lovers, most southern town in NH with no zoning. Shooting at all hours all around me and no one takes notice.
There is a Tax / auction sale of properties happening in Grafton very soon of which I'm hoping only pro 2nd A and liberty / less government people will take notice of so share this with similar types.
JSJ Auctions :: Real Estate ID #2013-622 (9) TAX DEEDED PROPERTIES IN GRAFTON, NH AT ABSOLUTE AUCTION <br>*** TOTAL OF 127.76± ACRES*** 35 Turnpike Road, Grafton, NH

Everyone's elected here even our one man police department. I left CT and found a place here where you can do most everything you want. I got our place on foreclosure for around $70k, 3 ac, 2,200 sq' center of town ( LOL that means where the post office and town offices are)

This. I grew up in grafton. My grandfather lives there. Place is awesome. I will by a house near there one day.

Thanks to everyone for your input! We are flying off next week to look for properties. We are looking in Pelham, Hollis, and Nashua. I've already put my name on the wait list at the Nashua gun club. Hopefully, I'll get in by February.

I am a member at Nashua and can take you in from time to time until you become a member.

Malodave

Thanks to everyone for your input! We are flying off next week to look for properties. We are looking in Pelham, Hollis, and Nashua. I've already put my name on the wait list at the Nashua gun club. Hopefully, I'll get in by February.

Monadnock is a good Club. Granted I haven't been since the last NES shoot, but still a good club anyway.

Monadnock is an awesome range. Good people with no BS.

I'm a member there. If that doesn't speak to the quality of the members then I don't know what else does.

However, the last I heard we had capped membership. Not sure if that has changed.

Anyone a member of Pelham's club? I'm only 6 miles from that club and think I'm going to apply.

Im also going to join Pelham. I just found out that their memberships run Dec.-Dec., so that's when I'll be joining

Gentlemen,

If you plan to join Pelham, start asap - they will only charge you for 2014 at this time of the year anyway. Also, the application process is time consuming - send app in, be scheduled for an interview, then go through orientation.

I just became a member this month - it's a very nice club, if a little expensive, heavy on the rules and with quite a few ranges that require qualification.

Well, this is all nice, but in reality also consider the following:

1. Your commute from Southern New Hampshire during "normal start and end of your working hours" will be something you will regret every day.
2. Real estate taxes are very high, in some NH towns they can be as high as your mortgage.
3. Real estate is going up and while you still get a better deal in NH than in MA you have to deal with radon in the water in some areas as high as 60% of all water sources. Most houses are on oil or propane, no town water and no town sewer (while this may be a benefit, you may not be familiar with it).
4. Working in MA and living in NH means you will pay MA and NH taxes. Not smart.

I hope this will help. Good luck!

1. Your commute from Southern New Hampshire during "normal start and end of your working hours" will be something you will regret every day.
2. Real estate taxes are very high, in some NH towns they can be as high as your mortgage.
3. Real estate is going up and while you still get a better deal in NH than in MA you have to deal with radon in the water in some areas as high as 60% of all water sources. Most houses are on oil or propane, no town water and no town sewer (while this may be a benefit, you may not be familiar with it).
4. Working in MA and living in NH means you will pay MA and NH taxes. Not smart.

That's too general. My new commute from SNH to the Woburn area is easy. There's always a bit of a slowdown around Exit 3 in the AM commute and there's always something going on at Exit 1, but I've actually reduced my commute by 15 minutes and 10 miles. This is just too broad of a statement. Bad excuse.

So? Eventually all you will be paying is RE taxes, right? People bitch about this all the time. You're actually making progress if your RE taxes are greater than your mortgage (P&I) payment. Every town in NH is different in terms of rate. There's a post somewhere on NH tax rates on NES. Another sorry excuse for not pulling up stakes.

There's very little radon in well water in NH. Most of it's radon air. There are mitigation systems available that are very reliable. Often times you can work it into the P&R. Radon air solutions cost around $1,000. Radon water can be more pricey, say around $3,000. And there's recurring monthly electrical costs of course, but it's worth it. We're on LP here, and yes, it's delivered but that's a benefit in my eyes. We're also on private well and private septic. Again, these are "pros" not "cons". I wanted control over everything. Not the town or city.

How so? I also pay Federal taxes too. And county taxes. This is a stupid excuse as any. If you can, telecommute a day or two a week and this will reduce your tax liability to MA. This is what I do. Even if you work a single day a week from home, you can reduce your income tax liability by 20%.

you are welcome to stay in MA no one is forcing you to move.

ea
you are welcome to stay in MA no one is forcing you to move.

I am not moving. I am just trying to show some areas which need to be understood before the original poster will move in NH and find out hard way.
I am driving Rt. 3 North everyday for last 15 years and I see traffic going South to MA almost daily. Radon in the water is reality and it can be handled but he should know about it.
Real estate taxes are very high in Southern NH (see map and calculate it on your own).
I live in MA for 35 years and I love it.

Radon-contaminated water is not as common as you might think. I think you mean to say radon-contaminated air. Pretty much everything Andover on north is on a granite shelf. Granite can contain miniscule amounts of a uranium isotope that is in the (long) process of decaying. As part of that process, radon gas is produced. Probably have a few billion more years to reach the next half-life, FAIK. Mitigation costs are anywhere between $500 to $1,500 depending on the chosen solution.

RE taxes are a red herring. The state of NH has just a few main revenue streams: RE, Corporate, meals/logging and vehicle reg/license taxes. That's about it.

There is plenty of radon here in Wayland. As for real estate taxes, we pay about $8k per year for a 1500 sq ft ranch that needs a new kitchen. Every place I've browsed in NH I could get way more house for the same cost and real estate tax.

Unfortunately for me, NH just isn't an option. I work in Kendall Square and just couldn't hack the commute from NH. I hate my commute as it is.

Eta: just for kicks I went to realtor.com and looked at houses it Pelham. For $445k, which is about our assessed value, I could get a 9-year-old, 3 bed 3 ba house with 3000 sq ft. That is twice the size of our 60 year old, 3 bed 2 bath range, and it is in much better condition. Real estate taxes are about the same.

Last edited:
Radon in water is low-risk problem aside from how it elevates radon in the air

The EPA isn't even sure that Radon in water is a significant health risk beyond it's contribution to radon in air. Water radon is pretty much the last thing I would worry about.

3 of the houses I looked at in S.NH had arsenic in the well water. Now there's something to worry about -- a cumulative carcinogenic toxin that is stored permanently in the human body and can kill you in multiple ways, quickly or slowly.

ea

I am not moving. I am just trying to show some areas which need to be understood before the original poster will move in NH and find out hard way.
I am driving Rt. 3 North everyday for last 15 years and I see traffic going South to MA almost daily. Radon in the water is reality and it can be handled but he should know about it.
Real estate taxes are very high in Southern NH (see map and calculate it on your own).
I live in MA for 35 years and I love it.

Had radon in my house in North Andover when I sold it. Had to cough 1500 dollars back to the buyer. New Hampshire is bad, you wouldn't like it.

1. Sor far, no problem. It's nothing compared to Baltimore to D.C. during rush hour. Driving into Boston sucked, but I've only had to do that once.

2. My prperty taxes are 2.29%. My taxes in Baltimore were 2.5%, plus sales tax, bottle tax, bag tax, rain tax, etc...

3. I'm a quick learner. The oil goes *inside* the tank, right? ;-)

4. But my wife, who makes 3x what I do, doesn't. Her company is based in Texas. She pays no state income taxes living here.

The reality is that I chiefly moved to get away from oppressive gun laws; that's the big reason we didn't move to Mass. I got my CCW with no fingerprints, photos, or bullshit. I can own whatever I want. If I wanted to deal with an oppressive government, I would have just stayed in Maryland. In the end, that's why we picked NH.

Last edited:
1. Sor far, no problem. It's nothing compared to Baltimore to D.C. during rush hour. Driving into Boston sucked, but I've only had to do that once.

2. My prperty taxes are 2.29%. My taxes in Baltimore were 2.5%, plus sales tax, bottle tax, bag tax, rain tax, etc...

3. I'm a quick learner. The oil goes *inside* the tank, right? ;-)

4. But my wife, who makes 3x what I do, doesn't. Her company is based in Texas. She pays no state income taxes living here.

The reality is that I chiefly moved to get away from oppressive gun laws; that's the big reason we didn't move to Mass. I got my CCW with no fingerprints, photos, or bullshit. I can own whatever I want. If I wanted to deal with an oppressive government, I would have just stayed in Maryland. In the end, that's why we picked NH.

Welcome to a free state... What town did you land in?

The southwest corner of Pelham. So far, we love it. Except the leaves. Holy crap there are a lot of leaves to rake.

Last edited:
The southwest corner of Pelham. So far, we love it. Except the leaves. Holy crap there are a lot of leaves to rake.

Two rakes, a decent leaf blower, a bunch of leaf refuse bags and a Saturday afternoon can fix that right up.

Only problem is that you have to do it weekly from October through November.

Welcome to NH! Help us keep NH free!

The wind will work for you of you let it.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

The wind will work for you of you let it.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

it can also work against you too. lol. it seems that after i clear mine i end up with leaves from all the neighbors.

bob

Back
Top Bottom