Moving to New Hampshire

That list makes my head hurt and I lived in CT

Oh, that's just a very small sample. A lot of Maryland's laws are bizarre, especially when it comes to firearms. Take magazines, for instance: it is illegal to manufacture, purchase, or sell magazines greater than 20 rounds (10 rounds after 10/1/13.) HOWEVER, it *is* legal to possess and use standard capacity magazines and to purchase disassemble magazines as "parts kits" for repairing old magazines. Most all of the laws regarding firearms are more of a hassle than a deterrent.

Everyone keeps pointing out NH's property taxes as being high.

I live in Baltimore City, where property tax is 2.5% of the home's value annually (more than anywhere in NH), on top of state and local fees and taxes for everything imaginable. We have a bag tax (tax per bag at the grocery store), bottle tax, rain tax, etc. We have fines for parking too close to the curb, parking too far from the curb, parking too close to the car in front of you (which is funny because if two cars are parked too close together, the both get tickets) not having a lid on your trashcan, not sorting your recycling, etc. One year, in a snow storm, the city canceled trash collection then proceeded to ticket everyone for having too much trash.

Needless to say, I can't wait to get to NH.

A friend moved from Baltimore to Manchester and opened a successful restaurant there. One of the first things he commented on was how cheap it was to do business in NH. In Baltimore (where he was also a restauteur), his liquor license alone cost over $100,000 a year.

Welcome to NH. You won't regret it one minute.

I would do some more research on towns on city-data.com. That was a good resource for me.

Also search this forum for a thread with all the town/local tax info. Each town in NH is different. Some have curbside trash pickups, others just have transfer stations and you have to bring trash to them, etc.

Nothing super weird up here. People honestly don't give a rat's rear if you have guns. If anything they'll want to see it so they can buy one. Totally different experience than Massuckchusetts so I'm sure it's similar to the Land of Marys.
Here is the thread Mike refers to:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ove-nh-important-tax-info-updated-2013-a.html

A friend moved from Baltimore to Manchester and opened a successful restaurant there. One of the first things he commented on was how cheap it was to do business in NH. In Baltimore (where he was also a restauteur), his liquor license alone cost over $100,000 a year.

I found the costs to get a liquor license in NH and that $100K that Maryland charges is jaw dropping in comparison to NH.

Section 178:29 Fees; Expiration Dates; Transfers.

Yeah, opening a restaurant in Baltimore is a tough, expensive venture. Getting a liquor license in Baltimore City is akin to doing business with the mob, except more expensive and less fair. And the "Blue Laws" are a pain.

It looks like NH doesn't sell liquor in grocery stores? I have to go to a state-run liquor store for bourbon? Can I mail order booze in NH?

Last edited:
Yeah, opening a restaurant in Baltimore is a tough, expensive venture. Getting a liquor license in Baltimore City is akin to doing business with the mob, except more expensive and less fair. And the "Blue Laws" are a pain.

It looks like NH doesn't sell liquor in grocery stores? I have to go to a state-run liquor store for bourbon? Can I mail order booze in NH?

There are a very few "agency stores" selling liquor- most way up north where a state store just wouldn't make sense. But the state stores are very common in southern NH- most of the populated towns have them- or they are in border town's. There are state stores in the rest areas on I-93 and I-95.

No idea on mail order.

I don't think there's any laws on ordering liquor online... I know you can order wine on the web.

Thanks for clarifying that point, for myself, I'm too cheap to spring for the $100 for an out-of-state carry permit, YMMV.

At least the NH license is for 4 years. If I wanted to get a LTC for MA, it's $100 per year and a train-load of butt-hurt too. Besides, I would have restrictions since I'm from NH. [rolleyes]

In NH, you can have a pistol on your belt/hip, and a magazine in your pocket (or holder on your belt) and be 100% legal in a car/vehicle. You could have the magazine right next to you even (easy to grab) and be 100% legal. No loaded rifles in a vehicle though. Pretty sure you don't need to do the stupid things like you do in MA when transporting them though.

Another benefit over MA... You don't need to have your firearms under lock and key at all times. Bed-side pistol doesn't require a lock-box (of any kind)...

No magazine size limits either. Want a 30 round magazine for your Glock? Go right ahead. 60 or 100 round magazine for your AR? No worries (other than feeding it). Pre-ban, post-ban, it's all good man. No need to molest your rifle either (pinned/welded muzzle device). You can have pretty much whatever you want on the end of the barrel.

Welcome to NH... Keep an eye on the get together threads posted up. Several of us go to Molly's in New Boston every few months.

I'm okay with state liquor when the stores are open 7 days a week and prices are low

My only issue with the New Hampshire system is that two of my favorite rice-based products are not legally available at all anywhere in New Hampshire; but luckily it is legal to mail order them from New Jersey.
[cheers]
I don't think there's any laws on ordering liquor online...
States that ban direct shipping to consumers include Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington State, West Virginia, etc.

I know you can order wine on the web.
There's a whole web of complex laws in all states around mail-order wine, and New Hampshire is not perfect, but is still better than many states in terms of how shipments are permitted and taxed.

OTOH, the NH Liquor Commission Website is pretty cool, especially the part where you can search for a product and see how much stock is in each of the 77 state stores.

Last edited:

It is not all that bad. NH actually does a good job running the liquor store. And the liquor is typically rather cheap. And no sales tax on it [smile]. Ideally we would just get rid of them, but the revenue the state makes off the m*******s makes that impractical to get through the legislature.

The way it is setup currently is a good compromise between public "opinion" and the ideal IMHO.

I also enjoy competing (especially 3 gun). Do neighboring states with Draconian gun laws have a "competition" clause is their laws? I know Connecticut does at least for handguns; what about Massachusetts? I don't see a lot of options for 3 gun matches, unless I'm missing something.

I generally shoot 12-15 three gun matches a year, along with USPSA Pistol (maybe 1/2 dozen), some long range and some tactical; most of them I travel 2-2 1/2 hours for. Are there three gun matches in the New Hampshire/Vermont/Massachusetts/Rhode Island area that I'm missing? I'm willing to drive up to 3 hours to go to a good match, but I'm not really finding anything. (I don't like IDPA; too many rules.)

It's a long story (and been posted here numerous times by me) but NO MA has no workable exemption for competition in spite of others telling you otherwise (i.e. GOAL). Other states do not forever ban gun ownership to people with misdemeanor convictions for possession of pot and MGL C. 140 S. 131G REQUIRES that you have a permit from such a draconian state to qualify for said exemption.

NH, ME and VT are no problem for NR competitors as permits in ME/NH are only good for CCW, ownership/possession requires no state permits at all (in all 3 states).

I also enjoy competing (especially 3 gun). Do neighboring states with Draconian gun laws have a "competition" clause is their laws? I know Connecticut does at least for handguns; what about Massachusetts? I don't see a lot of options for 3 gun matches, unless I'm missing something.

I generally shoot 12-15 three gun matches a year, along with USPSA Pistol (maybe 1/2 dozen), some long range and some tactical; most of them I travel 2-2 1/2 hours for. Are there three gun matches in the New Hampshire/Vermont/Massachusetts/Rhode Island area that I'm missing? I'm willing to drive up to 3 hours to go to a good match, but I'm not really finding anything. (I don't like IDPA; too many rules.)

LenS has spoken. Get a non-resident LTC (100USD, long wait, must come to Chelsea in person, only good for an year) or stay out of MA while possessing firearms or even ammo components.

3) State Line Gun Shop, Riley's, Shooter's Outpost are the popular well-stocked gun shops in Southern NH. There's plenty of others.

Gun shops in that area would be:

Collectable Arms & Ammo in Merrimack
Riley's in Hooksett
Shooter's Outpost in Hooksett
Merrimack Firearms in Merrimack
Stateline Guns & Ammo in Plaistow

Those are the only gun stores that stock anything worth while, and their prices are excellent on just about everything.

These two folks have forgotten about Acme Armament [smile]. We are right in Londonderry, exit 5 of Rt. 93.

Depending on where you are moving to, we may be closer. Many of our customers prefer to shop at Acme Armament rather than drive to Hookset.

Plus we have ammo and no limits on how much you may purchase. We like freedom. [thumbsup]

These two folks have forgotten about Acme Armament [smile]. We are right in Londonderry, exit 5 of Rt. 93.

Depending on where you are moving to, we may be closer. Many of our customers prefer to shop at Acme Armament rather than drive to Hookset.

Plus we have ammo and no limits on how much you may purchase. We like freedom. [thumbsup]

Not that my endorsement carries much weight, but if you bypass Acme Armament on the way up to Hooksett, you're just missing out on a bunch of good stuff and great people. And I'd rather give my money to people who I know and trust.

Which reminds me - got to come by Acme tomorrow to talk to Adam about some items on my "to buy" list...

Plus some bad ass AR500 steel plates that non of the other stores have.

Check out Grafton, NH. Lot's of liberty lovers, most southern town in NH with no zoning. Shooting at all hours all around me and no one takes notice.
There is a Tax / auction sale of properties happening in Grafton very soon of which I'm hoping only pro 2nd A and liberty / less government people will take notice of so share this with similar types.
JSJ Auctions :: Real Estate ID #2013-622 (9) TAX DEEDED PROPERTIES IN GRAFTON, NH AT ABSOLUTE AUCTION <br>*** TOTAL OF 127.76± ACRES*** 35 Turnpike Road, Grafton, NH

Everyone's elected here even our one man police department. I left CT and found a place here where you can do most everything you want. I got our place on foreclosure for around $70k, 3 ac, 2,200 sq' center of town ( LOL that means where the post office and town offices are)

There is a Tax / auction sale of properties happening in Grafton very soon of which I'm hoping only pro 2nd A and liberty / less government people will take notice of so share this with similar types.

Yeah, they're also trying to tax deed Peaceful Assembly Church, because my friend John Connell isn't a "real" pastor in a "real" church, all because he refuses to file for an IRS tax exemption.

Everyone's elected here even our one man police department.

Is it still Merle?

I am planning a move to NH real soon.
HOw does the law work as regards to getting my firearms there?
Do I have to go through an FFL for each of them? And then have them shipped?
I live in Ma ..hoping the answer is is " just bring them to your new home".
Also how hard is it to get a CCW permit in NH? I have a Ma one and it only took 41/2 months to get a renewal.
ggboy

I am planning a move to NH real soon.
HOw does the law work as regards to getting my firearms there?
Do I have to go through an FFL for each of them? And then have them shipped?
I live in Ma ..hoping the answer is is " just bring them to your new home".
Also how hard is it to get a CCW permit in NH? I have a Ma one and it only took 41/2 months to get a renewal.
ggboy

What Tommy Gun says.

NH CCW's are $10 and you should have it in under 14 days. Apply for it at your towns PD. The law says 10 days, but it depends on you town. You may have to wait a couple of extra days for a selectman to come in and sign it. Several people have received theirs in under 7 days.

Does anyone know of any gun clubs in the Hillsboro area?
ggboy

Hillsborough, NH is about 25 minutes from Monadnock Rod and Gun Club in Peterborough which is where most of the NES shoots occur. It is a good range so I hear.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...nylzA&oq=monadnock+ro&gl=us&mra=prev&t=m&z=11

See this list for a listing of clubs in NH. There are two in Hillsborough. Also there are sandpits around where you an shoot but they are closely guarded secrets and can only be found by talking to someone face to face.

Fish and Game Clubs and Shooting Ranges in NH

Back
Top Bottom