Moving to New Hampshire

I was hoping to join a strong NH pro gun group, but haven't really found one. (I've seen a couple, but they look really small.)

Am I missing something?

The problem here has been the groups disagree with each other and will screw each other in a heartbeat- which is how constitutional carry failed a couple of years ago.

One group couldn't stand that another would get credit- had to come up with their own "improved" bill which split the votes and made a veto possible.

Pro-Gun NH
http://www.pgnh.org/

I'll admit to being prejudiced as Sam Cohen has been a good friend for a very long time (dating back to his involvement with GOAL pre-1998). After hearing some of the bylaw/rule changes at GO-NH (banning legislators-who are common folks & oftentimes very pro-2A from serving on their BOD, etc.) I'd have a very hard time supporting that org. YMMV

Read some of the info on each org's website (there are actually 3, the other one escapes my memory right now-might be NH Firearms Coalition or something similar) and make an informed decision. Pay close attention to what each one is doing legislatively and how frequently and effectively they keep their membership in the loop.

My Wife and I are Charter Members of PGNH and get Emails from them when "things are happening".

Pro-Gun NH

I'll admit to being prejudiced as Sam Cohen has been a good friend for a very long time (dating back to his involvement with GOAL pre-1998). After hearing some of the bylaw/rule changes at GO-NH (banning legislators-who are common folks & oftentimes very pro-2A from serving on their BOD, etc.) I'd have a very hard time supporting that org. YMMV

Read some of the info on each org's website (there are actually 3, the other one escapes my memory right now-might be NH Firearms Coalition or something similar) and make an informed decision. Pay close attention to what each one is doing legislatively and how frequently and effectively they keep their membership in the loop.

My Wife and I are Charter Members of PGNH and get Emails from them when "things are happening".

http://www.nhfc-ontarget.org/

I like the NH Firearms Coalition myself... link above.

And I'd rather have multiple organizations that compete with each other rather than one fat happy group that is content with getting access to legislators instead of getting results.

There is an issue with NH Regs where someone moving into NH with a NR NH License gets "revoked" by NHSP. A NES'r who is moving to NH asked me about this and I forwarded a request to Sam Cohen (PGNH) for clarification or getting that Reg changed. He put it on their legislative agenda back in October and further follow-up yesterday resulted in the following Email response today from PGNH and their esteemed attorney, Evan Nappen!

Len,

Back in October, you wrote:

>> It has come to my attention that NH Saf-C 2104.02 (d) allows NH SP to
>> "REVOKE" a NR LTC if one becomes a NH Resident. Since revocations of any
>> gun
>> license/permit must be reported on every gun license/permit application
>> form
>> that I've looked at, it is considered a "black mark" on the applicant.
...and at the time, I passed it on to our PGNH Board and Senior Advisors.

Actually, the NH Administrative Rule, Saf-C 2104.02, says "shall" (not "allow"), which emphasizes the problem -- and I agree that the Admin Rule should be changed for the reason you wrote.

BUT: I just spoke with our BBB (Brilliant Beyond Belief) attorney, Evan Nappen, who pointed out that NH statute RSA 159:6-b applies:

159:6-b Suspension or Revocation of License. –
I. The issuing authority may order a license to carry a loaded pistol or revolver issued to any person pursuant to RSA 159:6 to be suspended or revoked for just cause, provided written notice of the suspension or revocation and the reason therefore is given to the licensee. A licensee whose license has been suspended or revoked shall be permitted a hearing on such suspension or revocation if a hearing is requested by the licensee to the issuing authority within 7 days of the suspension or revocation.
II. When the licensee hereunder ceases to be a resident of the community in which the license was issued he shall notify in writing the issuing authority at his new place of residence that he has a current license. Such license shall remain in effect until it expires pursuant to RSA 159:6.
Source. 1979, 355:2, eff. Aug. 22, 1979.

Let's examine this statute for the case of someone, like your friend, with a NH non-res license who moves to New Hampshire:

1. It requires the ISSUING AUTHORITY to do the revocation. That's the NH State Police.
2. It requires the revocation to be IN WRITING.
3. Your friend, moving from Massachusetts to NH, "ceases to be a resident of the community in which the license was issued." Arguably, that community was his town or city in Massachusetts. (Lawyers can argue about the word "in.")
4. So, tell your friend to "notify in writing the issuing authority [the chief of police] at his new place of residence [Hudson, NH] that he has a current license."
5. "Such license shall remain in effect until it expires pursuant to RSA 159:6" [which governs non-res as well as resident licenses].

Evan can tell you that this works. The only way for your friend to have his license revoked would be for the Hudson chief to contact the NH state police and ask for a revocation per Saf-C 2104.02(d), but why would he even be familiar with that Administrative Rule, since it deals exclusively with non-resident licenses? And why would he want to revoke the license, unless your friend suddenly became a felon or something?

If this unlikely scenario were to happen, your friend should immediately ("within 7 days") ask for a hearing to appeal the revocation -- and I bet Evan would easily win the appeal, and probably get the Admin Rule changed.

Please relay this to your friend, and tell him to join PGNH!

Best to you and xxxxxxxx.

Sam Cohen
Executive VP and CEO, Pro-Gun New Hampshire --> www.PGNH.org
.....RKBA!..... (the exclamation point means "Shall Not Be Infringed!")

bcc: PGNH eBoard

See if you can get this level of response and action/rapid response out of either of the other 2 NH groups (or GOAL when you have a similar issue/question)????

Pro-Gun NH

Nobody's hands are clean, unfortunately.

PGNH tried to sponsor some really bad legislation to lessen or remove the sanction against CLEOs who wrongfully delay or deny P&RLs, and the legislation got so screwed up the original sponsor (PGNH Director, IIRC) had to withdraw his support. But the underlying legislation, letting bad CLEOs off the hook, was flawed in principle.

The situation up here closely parallels that of the People's Front of Judea, if you're a Life of Brian fan.

Ok
Nobody's hands are clean, unfortunately.

PGNH tried to sponsor some really bad legislation to lessen or remove the sanction against CLEOs who wrongfully delay or deny P&RLs, and the legislation got so screwed up the original sponsor (PGNH Director, IIRC) had to withdraw his support. But the underlying legislation, letting bad CLEOs off the hook, was flawed in principle.

The situation up here closely parallels that of the People's Front of Judea, if you're a Life of Brian fan.

Ha, that's exactly the feeling I got from trying to research the different groups. In the past few years, I've learned the value of a good pro 2A organization, and just as important, the value of NEVER compromising with anti's; it never leads anywhere good.

MSI (Maryland's gun rights group) grew during the legislative session; 5,000 of us showed up to protest the AWB and shut down the state house, but it was too little, too late. Maryland is a lost cause.

I didn't pack up my family and move to let that happen again.

Last edited:
Ok

Ha, that's exactly the feeling I got from trying to research the different groups. In the past few years, I've learned the value of a good pro 2A organization, and just as important, the value of NEVER compromising with anti's; it never leads anywhere good.

MSI (Maryland's gun rights group) grew during the legislative session; 5,000 of us showed up to protest the AWB and shut down the state house, but it was too little, too late. Maryland is a lost cause.

I didn't pack up my family and move to let that happen again.

And GOAL had 5000 people show up at the State House for a rally in 1999 and they forced us to NOT be on State House property, we shut down nothing and the legistraitors had no idea what the "noise was" and nothing changed in MA gun law! MA is a lost cause and has been for a very long time.

As for orgs . . . "perfect is the enemy of the good"!

And GOAL had 5000 people show up at the State House for a rally in 1999 and they forced us to NOT be on State House property, we shut down nothing and the legistraitors had no idea what the "noise was" and nothing changed in MA gun law! MA is a lost cause and has been for a very long time.

As for orgs . . . "perfect is the enemy of the good"!

But there has to be a way to stop them from pissing in each others cheerios ALA the CC bill in 2010 as Caboose mentioned.

The problem here has been the groups disagree with each other and will screw each other in a heartbeat- which is how constitutional carry failed a couple of years ago.

One group couldn't stand that another would get credit- had to come up with their own "improved" bill which split the votes and made a veto possible.

Back
Top Bottom