• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to New Hampshire soon

Best decision I've made was to leave Massachusetts and move to New Hampshire. I fit right in up here in the North Country. I like it here, and I think any independently minded person would as well.
Contrary to this, I have found everyone I've met in NH to be cordial and welcoming us to a free state. Once they realize you didn't move here to convert the state into MA-lite, they truly embrace you.
That has been the experience of a friend of mine. Neighbors were friendly enough at first. When they got to talking and realized he wasnt their stereotypical nightmare MA transplant they were happy to have him.
That's been my observation as well. I moved "here" to be "here' and have no intentions of attempting to "change" a thing.

Well, unless it involves less taxes or more freedom......
Moved to NH two months ago. First met with hesitation (understandable), now treated as a friend.

Showing this thread to my wife. These posts are just making us feel better about the move. I know some places you’re an outsider if you don’t have three generations there, looks like we won’t have this issue.

Showing this thread to my wife. These posts are just making us feel better about the move. I know some places you’re an outsider if you don’t have three generations there, looks like we won’t have this issue.
Dont forget a shitload of people in NH are from somewhere else, some number of them moving there pretty recently. Its hard to treat someone like an outsider when you had just moved there yourself.

Fitting in up in NH was never really an issue for me when I lived there. I was a college student in a college town and I met most of my friends during the process of starting a shooting club. I still keep in touch with a few post-college.

Lol, took me 3 years of hanging around before people trusted me with things like the local shooting spots and local hooch.

I've met some interesting shooters at those sorts of ranges. I've been to one a couple times and those range trips involved:

*Pulling the car of a guy who looked like he slept off a drug binge out of a giant frozen puddle with his random meth-head looking older friend/father/father figure/whatever
*Watching a guy test his .38 Special revolver handloads by shooting at a cut-out side of a hill fifty yards away
*A guy who owned a suppressed full-auto MAC 11 that didn't know the difference between a MP40 and a StG44
*Learning to love centerfire rifle suppressors and motivating me to move out of RI just to gain access to NFA goodies (in addition to other reasons already on my mind)

Like I said, I would only live in northern NH if I moved back. Southern NH is too boring.

We moved up here in 2012. When we were unpacking our cars and moving in our neighbors saw that we were unpacking, came blaring up to the dock on their pontoon boat (small lake in central NH), almost crashed into our dock as beers were clanking around on the boat and couldn't get off fast enough to meet us and give us drinks.

I've never once experienced the distrust from not "being from here" since we've moved here.

Now that we live in Portsmouth I can just say we moved from the lakes region and no one knows the difference. But everyone in Portsmouth is from somewhere else anyways, most from MA.

Took a bit and some of that was our fault. We tried to keep the idea since we moved it doesn't mean we have to stop hanging out. We did most of the driving down to visit family/friends.

Now I made some really good friends in NH and barely go down.

When I moved to our MA town I was told about the same thing, now we've had the town clerk, selectmen, police chief, fire chief, librarian, and various other town officials lament to us that we are leaving MA and leaving a large gap at town meeting (we always attended and spoke up/voted). We became active and involved in various town orgs and gov't shortly after moving in so we became as close to a "townie" as you can get for someone who moved into town as an adult. It's all what you make of it.

In the short time we've been in NH, we've made friends with a couple of our state reps (both firearms instructors and Rs), numerous neighbors, selectmen, police and fire chiefs, etc. We've been to numerous events in our town and a neighboring town, made friends with some folks at Londonderry F&G, Nashua Area Radio Club (one member recognized me from DEC, we used to work on projects together many years ago). A former student of mine is a town official in a nearby town and in cleaning up papers in our MA home I found that a former NU classmate (and we worked on our Senior Week committee together those many years ago) lives in the town next door. Once the pandemic is over, we'll get involved with 2 town orgs and I plan on applying to the local cable committee (I've been serving on that committee in MA for >10 yrs). And I'll continue teaching but from a NH location.

It's all about what you make of it where you live . . . or you can isolate yourself so that nobody knows you and you don't mingle with others, it is a choice we all make no matter where we live.

NHLA is the only group where I have a lifetime membership. I bought that before I ever ran for office. Now that I've been elected, I find them even more invaluable.
Congrats. As another lifetime NHLA member and GOP candidate for NH St. Rep., we need to get more Constitutionals and pro 2nd A candidates elected. What NH is missing are more sportsman orgs. and hunters getting on board with pushing friends and membership to elect pro 2nd A candidates. Any help in energizing New Hampton and Center Harbor would be great, spread the word

MA to NH is out of the fire into the frying pan.

Ma**h***s are destroying the state and it will be just as bad as MA in 10 years

When I was looking to escape RI NH wasn’t even on the list. I have been in MO for 6 years now and couldn’t be happier. It conservative except for the two big cities, but they don’t infect the rest of the state. Gun rights are expanding here

When I was looking to escape RI NH wasn’t even on the list. I have been in MO for 6 years now and couldn’t be happier. It conservative except for the two big cities, but they don’t infect the rest of the state. Gun rights are expanding here

actually in my experience it’s the New Yorkers who destroy everything they come into contact with. They are vile. Most folks I’ve met from Massachusetts appreciate the freedom and fight to keep it. MO might be conservative but I’m not conservative I’m a gun dude and new hampshire has the best gun laws such as no off limits places for carry, no minimum age to own or carry, no restrictions on anything class 3 no charge for the unconstitutional instant NICS check, optional $10 carry licens and the list goes on. But yes, compared to Rhode Island I’m sure that Missouri is a upgrade. Especially if you are a conservative which I’m not. I only vote on guns and no other issues.

This is a very ignorant statement, and having met you and knowing who you are, or rather who you were, I expect better from you.

Mass's current situation is the product of systematic gun control since 1906. The foundations of Mass's current issues do indeed stem from back then because that's when Mass introduced its concealed carry system of town-issued licenses to carry that are linked to gun ownership. NH doesn't link ownership to having a carry permit. You know that, or, at least, you should.

Mass has been a one party state, similar to RI, effectively since the 1950s. NH has not. NH isn't even a one-party state today, with a 50/50 GOP and Democrat state supreme court, a GOP governor, and a Dem majority, but not supermajority, legislature. NH had a GOP majority in the legislature and state supreme court prior to the 2018 elections and still had a GOP governor, who is still in office and signed constitutional carry into law.

Edit: and this is ignoring the whole issue of Massachusetts versus New Hampshire attorneys general. Two vastly different roles with much different histories going back to the colonial era. A large amount of Mass's problems stem from overactive, "consumer protection" minded attorneys general. NH has nothing, I repeat nothing, similar, going back to the foundings of NH as a colony. Mass is a vastly different political scene. The NH Attorney General isn't even elected - he's appointed by the governor.

This is nothing like Mass. Within recent political memory, two Mass GOP governors sold gun owners down the river - Mitt Romney and Charlie Baker. Name a NH GOP governor recently who's done that recently. And if you look back at NH governors, there's examples like Meldrim Thomson.

I'm glad you're enjoying Missouri, but if you don't have personal knowledge, history, or some special insight to add, you're speaking out of ignorance. Ignorance isn't bliss - its harmful because it propagates things that are false. I've lived in NH twice and in RI for probably 26 years and you quite frankly don't know what you're talking about.

what concerns me is a lot of massachusetts residents do move north not for 2a related issues but tax relief. they carry their not to friendly firearms views and political party affiliation with them. seriously, hard to believe but not everyone is concerned about their right to buy, own and carry a firearm. this is also happening on the other side of the country also with californians escaping their governments top heavy agenda of stupid laws. also true of the pacific northwest. those are pretty long tentacles and hang on to some pretty crazy liberal ideals.

I’m in the laborers union and I want to get away from mass. I grew up in the mountains in Mexico and raising cattle and such so being in the sticks won’t bother me much. I’m looking at the Barrington area right now becuse it is what we can afford with the lot the size I want
Barrington is nice, as is Lee from what I recall. Avoid Durham at all costs.

Have you tried open carry without a license throughout Missouri? Or do you have to research the patchwork of local ordinances that can outlaw OC, licensed or not?

Some of the most conservative Republicans in Missouri are anti-gun.
All of MO is constitutional carry including open carry

There is also preemption so localities can not make their own gun laws

Last edited:
All of MO is constitutional carry including open carry

There is also preemption so localities can not make their own gun laws

Mo. Rev. Stat. § 21.750.3(1), a county, city, town, village, municipality or other political subdivision of the state may regulate the “open carrying of firearms readily capable of lethal use.” Such ordinances cannot restrict a person in possession of a valid concealed carry endorsement or permit (from Missouri or another jurisdiction) who is open carrying a firearm, or the use of a firearm in the defense of person or property. Mo. Rev. Stat. § 21.750.3(2)(a).

You are right. That laws allows the restriction of open carry, but MO residents are smart enough not to open carry :)

You are right. That laws allows the restriction of open carry, but MO residents are smart enough not to open carry :)

Really? You're throwing out this garbage, too? I used to think you were a good person with positive intentions, someone I should look up to and seek guidance from. In two posts, you've gotten rid of that impression.

I moved to NH from RI 10 years ago...light years better here in terms of gun culture. Of course the pressure is on in terms of bills etc. but it still is much better. Everywhere has its own downsides you just need to be OK with them.

Mo. Rev. Stat. § 21.750.3(1), a county, city, town, village, municipality or other political subdivision of the state may regulate the “open carrying of firearms readily capable of lethal use.” Such ordinances cannot restrict a person in possession of a valid concealed carry endorsement or permit (from Missouri or another jurisdiction) who is open carrying a firearm, or the use of a firearm in the defense of person or property. Mo. Rev. Stat. § 21.750.3(2)(a).

exactly my point, new hampshire has no Such law. gun rights are far and away better in new hamsphire than missouri. If they stay that way is certainly open to debate.

... gun rights are far and away better in new hamsphire than missouri. If they stay that way is certainly open to debate.

1. MO is Constitutional Carry (other than open). NH is not. (corrected) MO has a life-time carry permit option for those who want a permit for reciprocity needs. While NH has good gun laws NOW, I expect that it will get bad, see #5
2. MO gun rights are expanding. While legislation is proposed yearly, there is no chance of gun control here. Just the opposite. MO
3. MO is not under siege from MA and NY residents moving in and trying to destroy the state. I expect they will succeed completely within a few years
4. NH voted R for Pres in 72, 76, 80, 84, 88 & 00
5. NH voted D for Pres in 92, 96, 04, 08, 12 & 16 (Seems to me that MA and NY transplants have succeeded in 6 out of the last 7 elections)

NH was never on my list of possible states to move to because of #3 and the fact that they voted for the Obamination, twice, and Hilderbeast after my move, which proved my point.

The first thing that I did when picking states to move to was to see if the state voted for the Obamination, as I would never move to a state that did. Then I looked at the cost of living, financial health of the city and quality of the schools when looking at specific property.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom