• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to Massachusetts, running my plan/understanding by members here

Hi all,

I’m moving to Massachusetts soon. I tried to figure all this crap out myself, and I just wanted to run it by folks here. I think I’ve got it figured out, as I’ve been reading a lot, here and in other places. I have a number of handguns, but they are all single-stack handguns with magazine capacities of 10 or lower. I have a lever-action hunting rifle that holds 3 rounds in the magazines. I also have a BCM 20” AR15 (fixed stock, threaded barrel with A2 flash hider, no bayonet lug) and a bunch of recent-manufacture 30-round magazines.

If I’ve understood correctly, I’m good to go on the lever gun, handguns, and handgun magazines because the “handgun compliance” issue only affects dealers trying to sell/transfer – and does not affect me bringing already-owned handguns into the state – but the AR will be a problem. I will need to have the AR15 barrel either pinned and welded or soldered with a “brake,” or cut and recrowned below the threads, in order for the AR to not violate the AWB because at that point, the only “bad” thing about the gun will be the pistol grip, and an AR needs two “bad” things to count as an Assault Weapon in Massachusetts. And then I’ll have to leave my 30-round mags outside of Mass and buy 10-rounders (or pre-ban 30-rounders… if any even still exist for purchase since this “crisis” caused a firearms-related shortage).

Is all that correct?

I’ve already taken a Massachusetts approved class to apply for an LTC (so I know about the “under your immediate control” laws, storage laws, etc.).

My plan is to move to Mass with all my guns in tow, apply for the LTC immediately once I’ve established residency, and – if I’ve understood everything correctly – if I get it in 60 days of the date I established residency, then I will be good to go and will not have to register any of my guns. If, however, I don’t get it within 60 days, I have to get the guns out of Mass, register them, and then bring them back in once they are registered.

Does all that sound right?

Welcome to NES!

What you wrote sounds right. Make sure your AR is in a ban-compliant configuration, and no mags > 10 rounds that are post-ban.

Hi all,

I’m moving to Massachusetts soon. I tried to figure all this crap out myself, and I just wanted to run it by folks here. I think I’ve got it figured out, as I’ve been reading a lot, here and in other places. I have a number of handguns, but they are all single-stack handguns with magazine capacities of 10 or lower. I have a lever-action hunting rifle that holds 3 rounds in the magazines. I also have a BCM 20” AR15 (fixed stock, threaded barrel with A2 flash hider, no bayonet lug) and a bunch of recent-manufacture 30-round magazines.

If I’ve understood correctly, I’m good to go on the lever gun, handguns, and handgun magazines because the “handgun compliance” issue only affects dealers trying to sell/transfer – and does not affect me bringing already-owned handguns into the state – but the AR will be a problem. I will need to have the AR15 barrel either pinned and welded or soldered with a “brake,” or cut and recrowned below the threads, in order for the AR to not violate the AWB because at that point, the only “bad” thing about the gun will be the pistol grip, and an AR needs two “bad” things to count as an Assault Weapon in Massachusetts. And then I’ll have to leave my 30-round mags outside of Mass and buy 10-rounders (or pre-ban 30-rounders… if any even still exist for purchase since this “crisis” caused a firearms-related shortage).

Is all that correct?

I’ve already taken a Massachusetts approved class to apply for an LTC (so I know about the “under your immediate control” laws, storage laws, etc.).

My plan is to move to Mass with all my guns in tow, apply for the LTC immediately once I’ve established residency, and – if I’ve understood everything correctly – if I get it in 60 days of the date I established residency, then I will be good to go and will not have to register any of my guns. If, however, I don’t get it within 60 days, I have to get the guns out of Mass, register them, and then bring them back in once they are registered.

Looks like youve done your homework. Nothing in your post is jumping out at me as being incorrect. Welcome aboard and abandon all hope. [wink]

Also Inb4 "move to NH instead"

Buy more guns before moving to mass. Just no LEO/MILITARY stamped mags.
You have done your homework for sure. Handguns that are ftf only in mass. are easily obtained out of state and if you don't like them later on can be sold for a nice markup. Then again, not many guns are in stock and the closer to Nov. 3 we get the price goes up.

I guess the silver lining is that there will be one more good gun voter in MA, especially when you realize what this state is like once you're trapped inside.

Buy more guns before moving to mass. Just no LEO/MILITARY stamped mags.
You have done your homework for sure. Handguns that are ftf only in mass. are easily obtained out of state and if you don't like them later on can be sold for a nice markup. Then again, not many guns are in stock and the closer to Nov. 3 we get the price goes up.
This doesn't really matter anymore unless we're talking about off-list revolvers..... would also be wise for him to buy some AR-15 or AR-10 lowers if he ever wants to build one could save him some money up front....

You have my sympathy. There is nothing on this earth that could ever convince me to move back to MA.

If you have to, max out a couple of credit cards on gun and magazine purchases BEFORE you make your move. You can make more money but you'll not be able to get certain guns or mags......not easily anyway.

Looks like youve done your homework. Nothing in your post is jumping out at me as being incorrect. Welcome aboard and abandon all hope. [wink]

Also Inb4 "move to NH instead"

Definitely don't move to MA. Move to NH.

There. The truth has been told.

If you're moving to MA you'll have to make sure your chosen prison, er I mean town, will actually grant an LTC.

Here is the only thing INCORRECT in what you stated.

If, however, I don’t get it within 60 days, I have to get the guns out of Mass, register them, and then bring them back in once they are registered.

MA PDs take their sweet time and it's pretty rare to get a LTC within the 40 days (MGL) or even 60 days. NOTHING in MGL requires you to move/remove the guns once you move in while waiting however long it takes the PD to get off their ass and issue your LTC. Just keep them locked up until you get the LTC in hand, don't move them anywhere, don't ever register them either. You are within the law, even if the PD isn't.

Sorry to hear that you moving to the asylum. Good luck.

If you're moving to MA you'll have to make sure your chosen prison, er I mean town, will actually grant an LTC.
They all issue LTCs and some (but fewer than years ago) issue restricted. All of this is thanks to Comm2A's lawsuits forcing the PDs to smarten up.

... NOTHING in MGL requires you to move/remove the guns once you move in while waiting however long it takes the PD to get off their ass and issue your LTC. Just keep them locked up until you get the LTC in hand, don't move them anywhere, don't ever register them either. You are within the law, even if the PD isn't.
I was hoping some voice of sanity was gonna say something like that.

OP: Here's what to say about teh gunz you brought with you on moving day: -><-
(Nothing)

Hi all,

Is all that correct?

Buy some cool semi-autos before you get here and make a few bucks....

Hi all,

Is all that correct?

My 2-cents, don't do it. You didn't say where you are coming from but just don't do it. Mass is small enough to stop short of moving into from almost anywhere. Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut or Rhode Island are all better than Mass if you like guns. Vt, NH and Me are all constitutional carry. Ct and RI have hoops to jump through but not as many as Mass. Did I say just don't do it?

I normally scoff at this kind of advice. Everyone would know that if they were moving here, I used to think. Then I met a gun nut who bought a house in Haverhill, literally 1.25 miles from the NH line.

So to the OP. If you are looking inside the 95 loop for a job in Cambridge/Boston, I get it. That's the choice we made when we moved here 8 years ago. We do have residence in another more gun friendly state which helps to make things easier. But the bottom line was we wanted the commute to be as short as possible. When I was working in Cambridge in Kendal square, I had a 20 minute bike ride from home. I worked with people who lived in Lincoln (normally only 20 min from my home) who spent 90 minutes in their car every morning.

However if we were moving here for a job in Lowell, then living in NH would be a no-brainer.

I disagree with Len on one point of law. MA law doesn't require you to move/remove them if your PD takes too long.

MA law requires the PD to turn your LTC around in 40 days.
MA law gives you a 60 (or 90,I'm not 100% sure but its more than 40 days) day grace period.

So if the grace period is longer than the PD is allowed to take on your LTC, and you apply in a timely manner, then you are squeaky clean.

At least that is what one attorney told me. Ha. As others have said, leave them in your safe until you get your LTC.
Though I believe you would be good to take a gun out to go hunting. I don't have time to confirm or cite law at this time, but if anyone wants to help it would be appreciated.

And I'm going to say it again because its worth saying twice - DO NOT REGISTER THE GUNS YOU MOVE HERE WITH.

dcmdon, we are agreeing, except an adult resident can't be go hunting without having an FID/LTC (appropriate to the gun in question), so leave them locked up until you get the LTC is the only good answer.

dcmdon, we are agreeing, except an adult resident can't be go hunting without having an FID/LTC (appropriate to the gun in question), so leave them locked up until you get the LTC is the only good answer.
Thats some f***ed up shit there isn't it? A mass resident can't hunt with a fire arm without an ltc or fid......but a non resident can provided they have nothing more than a non resident hunting license. Mass is f***ed up.

why the F would anyone move here?
Sadly the answer is $$$. My Wife was forced to retire from Partners Healthcare when we moved to NH since an upper level manager didn't want anyone working from home. Meanwhile 2 people in the group worked from home in FL for years, when they built the Somerville building they asked all in her group to work from home up to 3 days/week. So just before CV-19 kicked in, she applied for an admin job at a Nashua hospital . . . they told her that she was DQ'd because she asked for too much money, they wanted to pay ~1/4 of what she had been paid at Partners. My guess is that they wanted to fill the job with someone for NMT $10/hr.

When I was in (Partners) Faulkner Hospital in 2018, one of my nurses lives in the Nashua area. A very long commute, but I understand why! She loved her job and I'm sure she couldn't afford to work in the Nashua area.

My 2-cents, don't do it. You didn't say where you are coming from but just don't do it. Mass is small enough to stop short of moving into from almost anywhere. Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut or Rhode Island are all better than Mass if you like guns. Vt, NH and Me are all constitutional carry. Ct and RI have hoops to jump through but not as many as Mass. Did I say just don't do it?

I disagree on RI. While it may be easier to purchase/possess without a license, it's much more difficult to get a resident carry license in RI than it is in most of MA. I live on the MA/RI border, most towns in my area are green and you can get an unrestricted no problem, and it's not difficult to get a RI Non-Resident. I definitely would rather be living in MA than RI when it comes to gun ownership (and just about everything else too)

Back
Top Bottom