• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MOVING to Massachusetts? Read Here First!

It's a gray area due to the AG BS.

But if you move in with them there will be no record in MA that you own them as you do NOT have to register any guns that you move in with.

Ok . with that said. If a FFL has agreed to accept them in as Im giving them to a buddy.. and then when I move down there he transfers them to me... Isnt that on the FFL? Am I clear? I understand this is a gray area. I just want to go the safest method.

Hey guys, new to the forum. Originally from MA, currently in CA, and moving back to MA soon. My question is pretty similar to the previous posts and I think it is a gray area, but I will ask anyway. I built an AR15 in CA, where you are not required to have a license or permit to own it. I would like to bring it back to MA with me. I believe I have 60 days after I bring it into the state to acquire my FID or LTC. I know it takes longer than that and I already spoke to an FFL who said he would hold it in bonded storage for me. I am definitely okay with pinning the stock and I already have a muzzle brake. I believe that once I have it in the state and have acquired my LTC I should be good to go. My question is what happens while I am transporting the gun to MA. Say I get pulled over on the MA pike by a state trooper and he asks if I have any weapons, I tell him that I do, and he asks to see a permit. If I have it in the trunk, unloaded, and locked up should I be okay? Do I tell him that I am moving and don't have a permit, I legally own it in CA, and will be getting my license within 60 days? I called the criminal history systems board firearm support services number off the mass.gov website yesterday and he said you were not allowed to bring any assault weapons into the state. I didn't see anything mentioning this in any of the AG information or websites. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Hey guys, new to the forum. Originally from MA, currently in CA, and moving back to MA soon. My question is pretty similar to the previous posts and I think it is a gray area, but I will ask anyway. I built an AR15 in CA, where you are not required to have a license or permit to own it. I would like to bring it back to MA with me. I believe I have 60 days after I bring it into the state to acquire my FID or LTC. I know it takes longer than that and I already spoke to an FFL who said he would hold it in bonded storage for me. I am definitely okay with pinning the stock and I already have a muzzle brake. I believe that once I have it in the state and have acquired my LTC I should be good to go. My question is what happens while I am transporting the gun to MA. Say I get pulled over on the MA pike by a state trooper and he asks if I have any weapons, I tell him that I do, and he asks to see a permit. If I have it in the trunk, unloaded, and locked up should I be okay? Do I tell him that I am moving and don't have a permit, I legally own it in CA, and will be getting my license within 60 days? I called the criminal history systems board firearm support services number off the mass.gov website yesterday and he said you were not allowed to bring any assault weapons into the state. I didn't see anything mentioning this in any of the AG information or websites. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Unless the AR is a pre-ban, unfortunately you are not allowed to bring it to MA. Check the AG's latest "guidance".

The AG stuff is BS, but i suppose to be on the safe side i should encourage you to not bring it into the state.

On the other hand, I cant say that i wouldnt bring it if i were you. If you do get asked a question about weapons you are well within your rights not to answer and to not consent to a search. Better yet, drive the speed limit. If you do decide to bring it, pin the stock. The actual law calls for this.

Last edited:
Trivia:

1. The "60 day exemption" for possession covers only low cap guns. See Comm v. Cornelius.

2. Any movement with a gun, including a gun in a locked trunk, is "carry" under MA law. The 60 day exemption covers possession, not carry.

So, if you are moving to MA you can teleport your low cap guns to your new residence and be legal for 60 days.
The exception is if it is pre 1994 AND it was owned and legally possessed in Ma. pre 1994 AND you can prove that. Good luck. Don't move here if you can avoid it.
The "possessed in MA" exemption for pre-94 guns is "pre 98" (the date of the MA ban) and limits what dealers may sell. An in-duh-vidual may possess a pre-94 AW even if it was not legally possessed in MA pre-94. You cannot bring it into MA without a LTC, so there are a couple of ways to do it. Sneak it it, get LTC, and nobody will bother you if you are not caught before the LTC is issued (illegal, not a good idea); bring it in from your out of state residence after you get your LTC (questionable legality), or inherit it. Another way is get a non-resident LTC; bring it in; turn in the non-resident LTC to have it expired; and get a regular LTC. (you will be in civil, but not criminal, violation while possessing on an expired LTC). Nice and clear, huh?

The concept that an individual cannot possess a pre-ban AR that was not in MA prior to the MA ban is a figment of the EOPS's imagination.

Last edited:
I did read the AG's guidance, but that says "This guidance will be applied to future transfers of “Assault weapons,” as that term is defined in Section 121. This may include, without limitation, the AGO’s enforcement of criminal laws such as G.L. c. 140, §§ 128 and 131M, and civil laws such as G.L. c. 93A." Since I would not be doing a transfer and I am not required to register any guns I previously owned before moving to the state, I do not see where it clearly says anywhere that I cannot. I do understand it is very poorly written, being battled in court, and could turn any number of ways in the future. I was definitely planning on driving safely and pinning the stock. Just doing my absolute best to not get arrested if I was pulled over for a taillight or something. If I was just passing through the state and going to NH I would be okay as you are allowed to drive through the state provided gun is locked and unloaded?

That is all very good information to be aware of, thank you very much! If I get a non-resident LTC, leave it in bonded storage with an FFL, get regular LTC, reclaim it then I should be more okay?

That is all very good information to be aware of, thank you very much! If I get a non-resident LTC, leave it in bonded storage with an FFL, get regular LTC, reclaim it then I should be more okay?

An FFL response would be more definitive, but if you put any non-EOPS Listed handguns or so-called AWs (ARs, AKs, etc) in the hands of a FFL (bonded storage), to get them back per BATFE Regs it is a "transfer" and transfers of these items by an FFL are prohibited by MGL.

You'd be better off moving them with you but driving directly into NH, renting a storage unit and leaving them there until you get your LTC, then go retrieve them. You moved in with them and MGL does not in this case require registration so the state would never know what you owned when you moved in.

When I moved back to MA, 17 years ago, I called the MA State Police and asked them how to legally bring my firearms home with me. He said “Well, you could ship them to an FFL but, if you don’t have a MA LTC, then you’ll need one to pick them up when you get here. If your driving, then you can travel with them, as long as you follow the federal guidelines and don’t act like an idiot.”

I put my handguns and rifles in the back of my Jeep, my dog in the front, and drove from MT to MA over the course of four days with no LTC or permits (because none were needed in MT). I miss being young and careless...I don’t think I’d have the balls to do that today.

An FFL response would be more definitive, but if you put any non-EOPS Listed handguns or so-called AWs (ARs, AKs, etc) in the hands of a FFL (bonded storage), to get them back per BATFE Regs it is a "transfer" and transfers of these items by an FFL are prohibited by MGL.

You'd be better off moving them with you but driving directly into NH, renting a storage unit and leaving them there until you get your LTC, then go retrieve them. You moved in with them and MGL does not in this case require registration so the state would never know what you owned when you moved in.
I actually spoke to an FFL in MA and he told me that he could store it and release it back to me when I had my LTC with only a NICS check. I do like the storage unit in NH idea, that sounds like a winner to me. I do with they had a "mass gun laws for dummies".

- - - Updated - - -

When I moved back to MA, 17 years ago, I called the MA State Police and asked them how to legally bring my firearms home with me. He said “Well, you could ship them to an FFL but, if you don’t have a MA LTC, then you’ll need one to pick them up when you get here. If your driving, then you can travel with them, as long as you follow the federal guidelines and don’t act like an idiot.”

I put my handguns and rifles in the back of my Jeep, my dog in the front, and drove from MT to MA over the course of four days with no LTC or permits (because none were needed in MT). I miss being young and careless...I don’t think I’d have the balls to do that today.

I have been planning on calling the MA state police, I mean if they are the ones who would be pulling me over they should know. I just don't want to know the answer if they say you 100% cannot bring one.

What you did was perfectly legal then and would be perfectly legal now. Only legal exception is what Rob pointed out, a court case that pointed out that you can't bring any large capacity anything with you. I discuss solutions to that in my Mass Gun Law Seminars. Schedule is on http://2atraining.weebly.com

Thanks for the clarification. I need another dose of Len's course. third time is a charm and it might just stick. This getting old stuff isn't for sissies.

You know how to find me.

I actually spoke to an FFL in MA and he told me that he could store it and release it back to me when I had my LTC with only a NICS check. I do like the storage unit in NH idea, that sounds like a winner to me. I do with they had a "mass gun laws for dummies".

I have been planning on calling the MA state police, I mean if they are the ones who would be pulling me over they should know. I just don't want to know the answer if they say you 100% cannot bring one.

My seminar is as close as you will get to a Mass gun laws for dummies.

Please don't call MSP, they don't know the laws either just like the local police, dealers, and DAs. Seriously! I have a story to that effect from many years ago when I did call MSP about carrying at Logan Airport to meet someone . . . 3 different stories from 3 different Troopers.

Just make sure everything works in your car, drive the speed limit and cautiously and what you have in the car will never be an issue (abide by FOPA for storage while transporting the guns, different from MGL for those with a LTC).

Thank you very much for the input, I will definitely try and check one of your seminars out once I return.

Last edited:
Firearm Registration Question

Hello,

I just moved from NH to Mass on September 1st and brought a pistol with me. I was not able to get a LTC appointment with my city until November 14, beyond the 60 day exemption period. I didn't get a utility bill for proof of residency until late September and when I called to make an appointment the only options were in November. So my two questions are:

1. Can I have a friend hold onto my pistol until I get my LTC, to avoid registration or would I have to bring the gun back to NH and register when I bring it back in?

2. Would I be legally required to register the firearm if, after receiving my LTC, I had left the state with it and later returned?

Hello,

I just moved from NH to Mass on September 1st and brought a pistol with me. I was not able to get a LTC appointment with my city until November 14, beyond the 60 day exemption period. I didn't get a utility bill for proof of residency until late September and when I called to make an appointment the only options were in November. So my two questions are:

1. Can I have a friend hold onto my pistol until I get my LTC, to avoid registration or would I have to bring the gun back to NH and register when I bring it back in?

2. Would I be legally required to register the firearm if, after receiving my LTC, I had left the state with it and later returned?

NOBODY will ever make an issue of the 60 days as long as you did your part in ATTEMPTING to get your LTC within that 60 day window. My PD takes as much as 5 months (recent personal experience) on a renewal of someone who served as a police officer in the same jurisdiction! Just keep it locked up until you are licensed. NO I wouldn't give it to anyone or bring it back to NH.

2. Most probably they would interpret that as an illegal act if known (you can't move it anywhere once you move in with it). I wouldn't do it, period.

so, i have 2 questions
1) if someone legally bought a AR-15 in florida, and then brought it with them when they moved into Ma. Can they keep it?
2) if they can keep it, do they have to take off the flash hider,bayonet lug, & pin the stock?
thankyou in advance.

Read the thread, the question's been asked and answered a couple of times. I'd jump to post #212 for one of the most comprehensive answers. I'd flat out answer you, but I'm more knowledgeable about CT laws than MA laws.

so, i have 2 questions
1) if someone legally bought a AR-15 in florida, and then brought it with them when they moved into Ma. Can they keep it?
2) if they can keep it, do they have to take off the flash hider,bayonet lug, & pin the stock?
thankyou in advance.

Pre-ban 1994 rifle good to go. Bring it with you when you move, no eFA-10 needed.

Post-1994, no. The AG decided that that's no longer legal.

I'm not sure why I didn't consider this before, but instead of driving my AR15 from CA to MA, I should be able to fly with it checked from CA to Manchester, NH and not have any issues?

2. Most probably they would interpret that as an illegal act if known (you can't move it anywhere once you move in with it). I wouldn't do it, period.[/QUOTE]

After moving to Mass, bringing firearms with you and then obtaining your LTC, how are you unable to "move it anywhere once you move in with it"? Aren't you allowed to travel with your firearm and then travel back into the state? If you have already moved into the state, have your LTC and if you bring in other Mass complaint weapons after (for whatever reason you didn't bring them in the first time), how can the state prove that you didn't bring them into the state in the first place if you don't register them in that database (fa10?)? Does anyone else see how crazy these laws are???

Trivia:

1. The "60 day exemption" for possession covers only low cap guns. See Comm v. Cornelius.

2. Any movement with a gun, including a gun in a locked trunk, is "carry" under MA law. The 60 day exemption covers possession, not carry.

So, if you are moving to MA you can teleport your low cap guns to your new residence and be legal for 60 days.

The "possessed in MA" exemption for pre-94 guns is "pre 98" (the date of the MA ban) and limits what dealers may sell. An in-duh-vidual may possess a pre-94 AW even if it was not legally possessed in MA pre-94. You cannot bring it into MA without a LTC, so there are a couple of ways to do it. Sneak it it, get LTC, and nobody will bother you if you are not caught before the LTC is issued (illegal, not a good idea); bring it in from your out of state residence after you get your LTC (questionable legality), or inherit it. Another way is get a non-resident LTC; bring it in; turn in the non-resident LTC to have it expired; and get a regular LTC. (you will be in civil, but not criminal, violation while possessing on an expired LTC). Nice and clear, huh?

The concept that an individual cannot possess a pre-ban AR that was not in MA prior to the MA ban is a figment of the EOPS's imagination.

This is confusing. Is this poster referring to handguns or rifles?

That sucks. I have to sell the best pistol I've ever owned.
Er, no.

Ship the frame FFL to FFL after finding a MA FFL who will do a frame only transfer. This is legal, but many FFLs will not do it because they fear the AG will not be happy.

Get an LTC.

Assemble gun with your upper; file eFA-10. Procure pre-ban (1994) high cap mags or 10 rounders for your weapon.

Join gun club. Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom