Moving to Mass with AR 15

Looking for help, I have a couple of AR lower receivers that are post ban. I have not built these yet but I was wondering if they are legal to have after the attorney generals AW ban. Can I build them in them under the previous ma compliant standards? Also I was approved for my class A ltc, do I need to do a fa-10 for all of my fire arms that I brought here with me? Any help would be appreciated

I have heard that there is a one time exception for people moving to mass with fire arms not on the AG's approved list, can some one expand on this so I know more about this. I was not able to find this clause in the mass general laws. If someone knows what mil this is it would be helpful

To your first set of questions, nobody knows. The AG's guidance is intentionally vague and won't be clarified until someone gets prosecuted in court. Most here would say to go ahead and bring them in, but you must weigh that against your infinitesimally small chance of becoming the test case.

As for efa10s on your current firearms... I'll put it this way. The State would prefer you register them. The law doesn't require it, though, and I think most of us would agree that in the current climate here, you'd be a fool to do so.

Others will tell you not to move to MA, which is good advice. But I assume that by asking these questions, you've already decided you must. Sorry about that.

eta: the exception, I think, is designed to give you time to get an LTC. If you already have one, it's n/a. Others undoubtedly know more. Though they might not bother responding: as Dean's post gently implies, most of us are GODDAMN SICK of these types of threads.

Last edited:
I thought the consensus was anything not eFA-10'd on/before 7/20 was not allowed. I don't pretend to understand the new rulings, but it seems like bringing them in from out of state legally would be a pretty big "loophole" that the AG would love to close since she rules on feels and not the letter of the law.

Maybe buy a couple of MA compliant post ban AR's before moving in? Windom Weaponary will know what you are talking about if you ask them for a couple of AR's that meet the MA criteria. No paperwork is required to be filled out upon arrival except for getting your license.

If you ever want to own a Glock I'd buy a couple in PA before moving here as well

I would have to agree with Dean (post #3 above). Somewhat long-winded, but he pretty much nailed it.

eFA-10s record TRANSFERS. There is NO registration in MA. He isn't transferring any firearm, therefore no eFA-10 is required.

Is he legal to bring them in? Who the hell knows?

1. Build the rifles as MA compliant, such that they're capable of "firing a shot" prior to moving into MA.
2. Move into MA, legally no duty to register any firearms when moving into state.
(if you can avoid step 2, them do so)
3. Good luck them proving anything under the infinitesimally small chance you get pinched. Live your life under the boot as best you can.

Hi Maura. See what you've caused?

Last edited:
1. Build the rifles as MA compliant, such that they're capable of "firing a shot" prior to moving into MA.
2. Move into MA, legally no duty to register any firearms when moving into state.
3. Good luck them proving anything under the infinitesimally small chance you get pinched. Live your life under the boot as best you can.

This is the best advice.

I thought the consensus was anything not eFA-10'd on/before 7/20 was not allowed. I don't pretend to understand the new rulings, but it seems like bringing them in from out of state legally would be a pretty big "loophole" that the AG would love to close since she rules on feels and not the letter of the law.

This is not correct. Its a massive clusterF%&k because the guidance is vague on stripped receivers. However, if you owned the receiver before 7/20 you would be perjuring yourself if you tried to register it since there is no barrel length or caliber to enter into the EFA10 web form.

I called the AG office shortly after 7/20 and told them I owned receivers prior to 7/20. I reminded the person on the phone that a receiver was not considered to be a firearm per MA law. I asked if I needed to register the receivers. The person on the phone refused to give me their name but said I did not have to register the receiver prior to building it into a firearm.

I'm probably going to build all the receivers into fireearms, register them and take a photo of them for my records. Then take them apart. Just in case they change their mind.

This is the best advice.
This and this. With proof that you owned the guns prior to moving into the state AND given the fact that there is no duty to register the guns upon moving into the state (if you do it correctly per the law), it sounds like you are in pretty good shape... or at least as good a shape as the rest of us felons-in-waiting are right now. [thinking] Just watch those post-ban hi-cap magazines (leave them out of state) and, I guess, keep it to the old (per actual law) MA-compliant configuration... unless you read Ms Maura's unilateral banning decree to the contrary.

Back
Top Bottom