• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to Mass, do I need to take a course to get my concealed carry?

I have a training certificate issued in Massachusetts from April of 2012, will I still need to take a course asap when I get back, or will that one be acceptable?

I have a training certificate issued in Massachusetts from April of 2012, will I still need to take a course asap when I get back, or will that one be acceptable?

Depends on the town. Officially there's no expiration date, but some towns may insist on a newer certificate.

Depends on the town. Officially there's no expiration date, but some towns may insist on a newer certificate.

Agree - I am still using the same course certificate from 2008-ish in my town, but a couple threads mentioned this week about their Chiefs demanding new training for each renewal, etc. I would call the local PD and talk to the licensing person to see (if you know where you are moving to) - if you have a choice of towns where you can move to, make it a green town for sure.

Every town is different. My town accepts my certificate and was issued back in 1988.

If you had your license prior to 1998, you don't need no stinkin' certificate, per MGL.

Section 131P

relevant passage: Persons lawfully possessing a firearm identification card or license to carry firearms on June 1, 1998 shall be exempt from the provisions of this section upon expiration of such card or license and when applying for licensure as required under this chapter.

Agree - I am still using the same course certificate from 2008-ish in my town, but a couple threads mentioned this week about their Chiefs demanding new training for each renewal, etc. I would call the local PD and talk to the licensing person to see (if you know where you are moving to) - if you have a choice of towns where you can move to, make it a green town for sure.

Couldn’t agree more. The town you move to will have an enormous impact on the ease with which you get a licens, particularly an unrestricted one.

If you had your license prior to 1998, you don't need no stinkin' certificate, per MGL.

Section 131P

relevant passage: Persons lawfully possessing a firearm identification card or license to carry firearms on June 1, 1998 shall be exempt from the provisions of this section upon expiration of such card or license and when applying for licensure as required under this chapter.

The 2nd Amendment and Massachusetts laws are meaningless in this state, it's all up to the chief. If he or she says you need a certificate then you need a certificate, and my chief says I do.

Wait, what? Do I need to show training cert. in renewal?? Why? I wouldn't get the original one without a training certificate.

1) Move to Cheshire, MA - one of the greenest towns, it will be no problem

2) Look over the MA approved handgun roster. If there is a pistol or revolver not on the list that you want, buy it before you move here

Wait, what? Do I need to show training cert. in renewal?? Why? I wouldn't get the original one without a training certificate.

Some towns are ....odd. When I went to pick up my LTC last renewal, I was told that I had to show a photo ID.
"Um...you're giving me a photo ID, with my most recent photo....." I pointed out.

"We need another photo ID."

"Will an expired (by ~3 weeks, had been ~12-13 weeks since the app was submitted) LTC be OK?"

It was. [laugh]

The thing about the cert being required for renewal is that some towns have "required" a new COURSE for renewal.

I asked the same question when I applied for my LTC a few months ago. I was told by the Boston Police Licensing Division that as long as there is not an expiration date on the training certificate, you’re good to go.

There is an exception to the course requirement. All you need is to have held an LTC before the requirement was required.

Some towns are ....odd. When I went to pick up my LTC last renewal, I was told that I had to show a photo ID.
"Um...you're giving me a photo ID, with my most recent photo....." I pointed out.

"We need another photo ID."

"Will an expired (by ~3 weeks, had been ~12-13 weeks since the app was submitted) LTC be OK?"

It was. [laugh]

The thing about the cert being required for renewal is that some towns have "required" a new COURSE for renewal.

And I thought MA b.s. can't surprise me anymore.

Haverhill......on renewal the licensing officer didn't ask to see any training certificate at all. I assume he assumes I already had one to get the original .

Back
Top Bottom