Moving to Mass and have a few questions

Hi there...new guy here. Great forum I've been lurking on for a few years. I grew up in Mass and moved to Vermont 10 years ago. Since becoming a resident here I've been buying and building my own firearms. Now I've got to come back to Mass for at least a few years. Basically I'll have a residence in both states. When I neuter my evil rifles can I keep possession of the evil parts and not have constructive intent? For example I swap out a threaded barrel for one that cannot accept a muzzle device can I keep the threaded barrel with me in Mass or do I have to leave it in Vermont? Also would possessing a 7.5in AR barrel not screwed on to an upper be considered constructive intent? I've got an AR pistol and I realize it is not a practical firearm to own in Mass. I plan on eventually SBR'ng it and could drill and pin the brake. If its too much trouble I'll be leaving most of them here in Vermont.

MA has a universal constructive possession statute. It can be leveraged by any prosecutor at any time. I would recommend leaving anything of interest in VT.

MA has a universal constructive possession statute. It can be leveraged by any prosecutor at any time. I would recommend leaving anything of interest in VT.
Sorry to jump in but I have a similar question. If I have a flash hider that is not installed on anything can I be charged with anyyhing? I did not think so as I can have a flash hider on a bolt gun. But that constructive possession talk sounds bad.
Thank you

Sorry to jump in but I have a similar question. If I have a flash hider that is not installed on anything can I be charged with anyyhing? I did not think so as I can have a flash hider on a bolt gun. But that constructive possession talk sounds bad.
Thank you

Life's too short to worry about this kind of stuff, just don't do bad things that might make the cops look for charges to add on.

You're not supposed to have say, an AR with threaded barrel and nothing attached anyway, so whether you possess a flash hider or not wouldn't matter.

Thank you

I think terraformer already answered this in post #2. If the only place you can put the flash hider is on a bolt gun, then you cant construct an AW. If youve got a bunch of un-welded uppers laying around w lowers and flash hider, then clearly one can construct an AW. None of this is reasonable law...its all retarded. But IMO its another reson to have uppers shipped directly to a gunsmith for welding as opposed to receiving them directly.

- - - Updated - - -

Life's too short to worry about this kind of stuff, just don't do bad things that might make the cops look for charges to add on.

You're not supposed to have say, an AR with threaded barrel and nothing attached anyway, so whether you possess a flash hider or not wouldn't matter.

this wasnt roccoracer's question

Last edited:
I think terraformer already answered this in post #2. If the only place you can put the flash hider is on a bolt gun, then you cant construct an AW. If youve got a bunch of un-welded uppers laying around w lowers and flash hider, then clearly one can construct an AW. None of this is reasonable law...its all retarded. But IMO its another reson to have uppers shipped directly to a gunsmith for welding as opposed to receiving them directly.
- - Updated - - -

this wasnt roccoracer's question

I think it was his question - if he's got components to build an AW with everything but a flash hider (i.e. threaded barrel), it won't matter whether he has a flash hider or not, it's technically in violation.

Still think people worry too much - look at Aaron Hernandez - he got charged with weapon charge, ammo charge . . . and 1st degree murder. Avoid committing murder and stuff like that, and you won't have to worry about tacked on weapons charges.

the purpose of a legal form is to discuss what is and what is not legal.....not what will and will not get someone into legal troubles.

the laws of this state are overwhelmingly retarded. However I follow them because I am law abiding....not simply because I want to avoid problems.

Back
Top Bottom