Moving to Maine...

late08

NES Member
Hi! I will be moving to Maine (southern area) in the near future. I understand how different it is than Mass (in the positive).

The only real question I have is about preemption.

Can individual cities/towns override the state laws?

Are there any localities that have enacted "restrictive" laws that I should be aware of? Like Portland or Augusta?

Im not able to click your link for some reason.
There are a few cities with discharge ordinances, but nothing that restricts your constitutional rights.

Im not able to click your link for some reason.
There are a few cities with discharge ordinances, but nothing that restricts your constitutional rights.

Doesn't Augusta prohibit carry in the "Capitol Area"? It might be in their statutes as opposed to local law, but it certainly is a restriction.

The law is changing OCT 15th. No concealed permit required. But firearms not allowed in schools, municipal buildings and where posted by private property owners. Permit needed for state parks. Federal permit needed for Acadia and north woods. I am in kittery me. Some areas of the town forest still allow rifle here. PM me if you wish.

The law is changing OCT 15th. No concealed permit required. But firearms not allowed in schools, municipal buildings and where posted by private property owners. Permit needed for state parks. Federal permit needed for Acadia and north woods. I am in kittery me. Some areas of the town forest still allow rifle here. PM me if you wish.

Huh, no! No such thing as a Federal permit anyway. ME Law requires a ME license to carry in Acadia, that's all. I just spent a week up there in May, so researched that issue thoroughly before we went.

Check the restrictions for Fort Foster, and perhaps McClary as well.

Hi! I will be moving to Maine (southern area) in the near future. I understand how different it is than Mass (in the positive).

The only real question I have is about preemption.

Can individual cities/towns override the state laws?

Are there any localities that have enacted "restrictive" laws that I should be aware of? Like Portland or Augusta?

Lived there.

Knife + guns laws = good.

TAXES = bad.

NH = Freedom.

Well with Maine you have an income tax. I refused to pay mass income tax and nh property taxes. Southern nh property taxes are insane. In Maine I get to offset the income taxes.

Same deal for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well with Maine you have an income tax. I refused to pay mass income tax and nh property taxes. Southern nh property taxes are insane. In Maine I get to offset the income taxes.

Income Tax is not the end of the taxes.

An "insane" property tax is the price paid for living in a specific place with insane taxes.

"Welcome to Maine - the way life should be" always struck me as incredibly funny.

I assumed he meant can a town or city prohibit ownership of firearms, or something along that line. Every state in the country has "no-carry" zones.

My mid-coast property was re-evaluated this year (last time was 2004) and I got a $1400 tax increase! About half in town got an increase. Another increase for a brand new middle school will add another $300-400 in 2018-2109. Reminds me of Mass.

Maine is losing its appeal for me. Small local hospitals continue to consolidate. Finding a real primary care doctor is nearly impossible. The town ambulance service is long gone. Water/sewer utility was outsourced and rates skyrocketed (luckily I have a well). Neighbors are now mostly transient renters. Abutting neighbor continues his adverse possession attempts. Internet/wireless access has improved, I have more provider choices than in Mass. Central Maine Power is far better than National Grid. Drugs/crime are getting worse, definitely invest in a security system.

Life the way it is.

Last edited:
My mid-coast property was re-evaluated this year (last time was 2004) and I got a $1400 tax increase! About half in town got an increase. Another increase for a brand new middle school will add another $300-400 in 2018-2109. Reminds me of Mass.

Maine is losing its appeal for me. Small local hospitals continue to consolidate. Finding a real primary care doctor is nearly impossible. The town ambulance service is long gone. Water/sewer utility was outsourced and rates skyrocketed (luckily I have a well). Neighbors are now mostly transient renters. Abutting neighbor continues his adverse possession attempts. Internet/wireless access has improved, I have more provider choices than in Mass. Central Maine Power is far better than National Grid. Drugs/crime are getting worse, definitely invest in a security system.

Life the way it is.

Well a lot of those issues are national in nature. Hospital consolidation is nothing new and we are Turing into mcdonalds drive thru healthcare. The schools, well that's parents but at least Maine pushed for consolidation years ago. You have to vote this crap down. Water and sewer rates, I deal with this all the time. Grandpa got pretty much free water for years and no one planned for when the pipes broke. Can't raise water and sewer rates-no one will pay. Guess what now you have to. Poor planning. Step over a dollar to pick up a dime.

The issue with Maine i see is the underclass. We are subsidizing those rural shitholes with section 8 and
"Disabilities". No one wants to drive more than 15 minutes to work like when the mill was open. They just go on the disabled list. Livermore falls is a great example of this

Just as an FYI, I'm looking at greater Portland and Scarborough areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reviving this thread as I am now settled in Portland. Two questions...

1. Is there a COMM2A or GOAL like organization in Maine? I see Gun Owners of Maine. Are they a decent organization?
  2. Is there an NES like forum for Maine? I see MEShooters? Seems to be busy.

Reviving this thread as I am now settled in Portland. Two questions...

1. Is there a COMM2A or GOAL like organization in Maine? I see Gun Owners of Maine. Are they a decent organization?
  2. Is there an NES like forum for Maine? I see MEShooters? Seems to be busy.
Gun Owners of Maine (GOME) is VERY active at the State house on Augusta. They are well worth your support.

Back
Top Bottom