• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to Maine with guns

So moving to Maine with a couple of revolvers to a town outside of Augusta. Can I bring the firearms up and then apply for a permit of will my mass license suffice until the one from Maine is issued? I am thinking the answer is wait until the Maine permit comes in-but you never know.

So moving to Maine with a couple of revolvers to a town outside of Augusta. Can I bring the firearms up and then apply for a permit of will my mass license suffice until the one from Maine is issued? I am thinking the answer is wait until the Maine permit comes in-but you never know.
No permit required. Constitutional carry there as well.

The only thing you need to do is the thread title. MA is one of if not thee only state where a stupid license it required just to possess guns. So forget about that BS.

Sweet!! Thanks. Then my revolvers will be coming. I personally love them for home defense especially at 3am! No safety's or mag issues.

Congrats on the move. Might want to consider a shottie for HD up there in Maine. And of course an AR or AK (or two or three) now that you're going to be free of MA.

I've got an 870 and a self-built AR under the bed. Life is good in the semi-free states!

Moving to Maine

As others have stated, carry permits are optional up here in Maine since the passage of Constitutional Carry in 2015.

A Maine state issued concealed carry permit allows you to carry in State and National Parks (concealed), and exempts you from "duty to notify" if pulled over by a cop in a traffic stop. The permit is also accepted in many other states.

Your choice / call.

Also, don't forget to join Gun Owners of Maine (GOM) and the Sportsman's Alliance of Maine (SAM) + be prepared to defend your gun rights when you move here.

We just "dodged" Bloomberg's Universal Background Check referendum here in Maine due to the hard work of GOM, SAM and thousands of Mainers who worked for months to defeat this.

Welcome to Maine and please help out when the next attack on our gun rights come - which they surely will.

Please leave the MA mentality in MA.

Your MA LTC wont do you a damned bit of good in ME. Just move, and the apply, constitutional carry will cover you until you get your ME permit (if you even bother at that point!)

Be sure to notify MA of your move in accordance with the law just in case you ever need a MA resident or nonresident permit again.

Question for some of those who have chimed in. If Maine is a constitutional carry state, what, if any benefit is there to getting a CC license?

without the cc you are required to notify pd if stopped---with the ccpermit no notification required and some other stuff about state parks

Question for some of those who have chimed in. If Maine is a constitutional carry state, what, if any benefit is there to getting a CC license?

There are a few locations where you require a license to carry at, and you do not need to notify police, where without you do.

From the maine.gov site, though government websites are notorious for providing incorrect, misleading or partial information.

http://maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

There will be some circumstances in which an optional handgun permit will authorize the permittee to carry in certain locations or during an activity when an unpermitted person could not:
  • Acadia National Park (Maine Permit required; 12 M.R.S. §756) NOTE: Pursuant to 25 M.R.S. 2001-A (2)(F), Maine will recognize a concealed handgun permit issued by another state to its resident if that state recognizes Maine’s resident concealed handgun permits. A resident permit from that state is valid for concealed carry of a handgun within Acadia National Park
  • State Parks (Permit required; open carry not permitted; 12 M.R.S. § 1803(7))
  • Regular archery hunting-deer only (Permit required; 12 MRS § 11403)
  • Employees’ vehicles on work premises (Permit required; vehicle must be locked and firearm must not be visible; 26 M.R.S. §600)
If an individual is carrying a concealed handgun without a permit, he/she has a duty, when coming into contact with any law enforcement officer during a routine stop, detention or arrest, to immediately inform the law enforcement officer that the individual is carrying a concealed handgun.

As others have stated, carry permits are optional up here in Maine since the passage of Constitutional Carry in 2015.

A Maine state issued concealed carry permit allows you to carry in State and National Parks (concealed), and exempts you from "duty to notify" if pulled over by a cop in a traffic stop. The permit is also accepted in many other states.

Your choice / call.

see above...

Back
Top Bottom