Moving to MA

I have two questions I'm looking for some help with.

I have a friend who lives in VA but owns a house on the cape and will be moving there permanently at some point in the next two years.

1) Is it possible for him to get a LTC in MA now given he does have a residence here?

2) He has a significant investment in guns of which none will be found on the MA compliant list. Does he have an option to bring them into MA or does he need to sell them before coming here?

Thanks in advance.

You can only have one legal residence, and its not Mass. So no.
He can not register the firearms to himself until he gets his license, so i would say the guns do not come home with him.
Others with the correct answer will post soon.

guns can be brought as long as they comply with the MA AWB. mags must all be pre-9/13/94 manufacture (pre-ban mags).

tell him to consider VT or NH if possible. he doesn't want to live in MA. sell the house on the cape to some rich moonbat and use that money to buy land in NH.

with the backlog and assorted bullshit he can forget getting his LTC in the "grace period" they give you when you move to MA. he will need a friend to store the guns or to leave them out of state.

guns can be brought as long as they comply with the MA AWB. mags must all be pre-9/13/94 manufacture or accept < 11 rounds for a rifle or handgun. Or accept < 6 rounds for a shotgun. (pre-ban mags).

tell him to consider VT or NH if possible. he doesn't want to live in MA. sell the house on the cape to some rich moonbat and use that money to buy land in NH.

with the backlog and assorted bullshit he can forget getting his LTC in the "grace period" they give you when you move to MA. he will need a friend to store the guns or to leave them out of state.

FIFY

See Bold
I have two questions I'm looking for some help with.

I have a friend who lives in VA but owns a house on the cape and will be moving there permanently at some point in the next two years.

1) Is it possible for him to get a LTC in MA now given he does have a residence here? Yes but he will most likely get a non resident license so why bother?

2) He has a significant investment in guns of which none will be found on the MA compliant list. Does he have an option to bring them into MA or does he need to sell them before coming here? See post 5

Thanks in advance.

You can only have one legal residence, and its not Mass. So no.
He can not register the firearms to himself until he gets his license, so i would say the guns do not come home with him.
Others with the correct answer will post soon.

Since you obviously have no clue about MA gun laws, WHY CHIME IN WITH WRONG INFO???????????????????????????

with the backlog and assorted bullshit he can forget getting his LTC in the "grace period" they give you when you move to MA. he will need a friend to store the guns

Not a concern, he need not worry about this as it is the PD/State's problem and nobody will be prosecuted because the PD/State can't do its job within the alloted 40 days!

There are Sticky threads in the PROPER FORUM (hint, GD is not it) on moving into MA with guns, I suggest reading them for your answers.

PT Residents are qualified to get a Resident LTC and Glidden has been actively promoting this for >10 years and I've personally heard him tell ~200 chiefs/LOs each time I've attended his LE seminars. True that some will refuse but he explains their folly.

So the person in question can apply now and hopefully receive a Resident LTC before he actually makes the mistake of making MA his permanent home. Since he is already a PT Resident he really can't bring them in (since he's already "moved in many moons ago") legally until he gets his LTC and then he'll have to register every one of them. Ironically if they refuse him the Resident status LTC my (IANAL) opinion is that he could bring any/all his NON-large capacity long guns in now and store them here as a "NR" under the exemption in C. 140 S. 129C (p) without any permit from MA which is why Glidden advises chiefs to issue Resident LTCs to PT Residents!

Due to a court ruling however, he can NOT bring in any large cap guns/mags until he gets licensed in MA.

Again all this stuff has been discussed numerous times here and a simple search will confirm this.

Since you obviously have no clue about MA gun laws, WHY CHIME IN WITH WRONG INFO???????????????????????????

Not a concern, he need not worry about this as it is the PD/State's problem and nobody will be prosecuted because the PD/State can't do its job within the alloted 40 days!

There are Sticky threads in the PROPER FORUM (hint, GD is not it) on moving into MA with guns, I suggest reading them for your answers.

PT Residents are qualified to get a Resident LTC and Glidden has been actively promoting this for >10 years and I've personally heard him tell ~200 chiefs/LOs each time I've attended his LE seminars. True that some will refuse but he explains their folly.

So the person in question can apply now and hopefully receive a Resident LTC before he actually makes the mistake of making MA his permanent home. Since he is already a PT Resident he really can't bring them in (since he's already "moved in many moons ago") legally until he gets his LTC and then he'll have to register every one of them. Ironically if they refuse him the Resident status LTC my (IANAL) opinion is that he could bring any/all his NON-large capacity long guns in now and store them here as a "NR" under the exemption in C. 140 S. 129C (p) without any permit from MA which is why Glidden advises chiefs to issue Resident LTCs to PT Residents!

Due to a court ruling however, he can NOT bring in any large cap guns/mags until he gets licensed in MA.

Again all this stuff has been discussed numerous times here and a simple search will confirm this.

/Thread

As others have pointed out. Stay far away from the People's Republic of Taxachusetts (Народная Республика Массачусетс). NH or VT are Free America.

My friend owns a very expensive house overlooking the Bass river so he is coming for good in time,

I'll never understand why people can't give simple answers. Why do people feel the need to use terms and acronyms and wild goose chase pointers. I tried searching but couldn't find anything. I'm so sorry to have waisted your time LenS!

My friend owns a very expensive house overlooking the Bass river so he is coming for good in time,

I'll never understand why people can't give simple answers. Why do people feel the need to use terms and acronyms and wild goose chase pointers. I tried searching but couldn't find anything. I'm so sorry to have waisted your time LenS!

Toughen up a bit, huh? If you couldn't find it, you could find it. But these things get posted all the time and people get tired of the same thread clogging up the works. Search for the recent Glock threads and you'll see the same thing. People ask are glocks legal, blah blah. They get closed because it's been beat to death.

Just relax, enjoy your Thanksgiving.

An aside, if your friend really enjoys firearms, strongly suggest he sell the house and go to the Carolina's, Maine, NH, SC, etc. I grew up here but I sure as heck won't come back when I do leave (and I will). There are pluses in this state but the negatives are 2 or 3 fold. Other than NJ, NY, CT and a few others, this state stinks in all ways, not just guns.

Spend some time here on NES, and you will learn a TON. If you're concerned about Mass gun laws, start here: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/forums/81-Massachusetts-Laws

Since he is already a PT Resident he really can't bring them in (since he's already "moved in many moons ago") legally until he gets his LTC and then he'll have to register every one of them.

Actually, prior to being licensed he can bring them* in, and avoid registration, IF he's been absent from the Commonwealth for a minimum of 180 consecutive days...

MGL 140-129C said:
(j) Any resident of the commonwealth returning after having been absent from the commonwealth for not less than 180 consecutive days or any new resident moving into the commonwealth, with respect to any firearm, rifle or shotgun and any ammunition therefor then in his possession, for 60 days after such return or entry into the commonwealth;

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129C

*As you noted, only non-large capacity handguns, long-guns and magazines, due to Comm. v. Cornelius...

...the firearm identification card exception in § 129C(j) does not provide a defense to a charge of violating G. L c. 269, § 10(m), which prohibits the possession of a large capacity weapon without a license.

The Cape is a sweet place to live . . don't let anything push you away, call up the PD and ask what they have to say.

Tim [thumbsup]

Back
Top Bottom