• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to MA with owned shotgun

MA doesn't work like that, it's not a registry of guns you own or possess, it's a transaction register, you moved here with the shotgun that was already owned and obtained ur ltc. there was no purchase or transfer so no efa-10 is required. dont fall for the trap.
Ok so if I understand you correctly once I get my LTC i can take back possession of my shotgun and because there was no transaction to report there will be no questions as to how I acquired the shotgun if I have to use it one day to protect my family?

Just get your LTC' once you have the LTC do a EFA-10 form on line doing the registration part only.Then your all set.
I wish those that don't know the law would just STFU

You don't need to register firearms that you moved into the state with - only those you bring into the state after you move here.

Stop giving bad advise people

OP: Since you want to do the right thing, understand this - you have to have a place to store it, lawfully, for three months. By the time you take the class (get the LTC, as noted above), and the PD processes it, it will probably be that long.

You do not have to do an efa-10, as that's for a transfer of ownership, and you already own it.

If you belong to a Club, ask a fellow member; if not, join a Club, so you have a place to use it.

IMO, your safest course is to find a properly licensed person to hold it. This is not considered a transfer, it's just like loaning your buddy your lawnmower - you still own it, it's just in his garage.

Get the LTC. As noted above, different towns have different "hoops" that an applicant may (or may not) have to jump through.

Welcome to the DPRM

the reality? Put a trigger lock on it, put it in a safe place, hide it so it will not be seen if PD or FD comes to your house ( yes people have gotten jammed up by cops and firemen responding to a otherwise mundane call for service) put the shells away in a safe place.

Apply for your LTC A unrestricted and keep your mouth shut.

The next best thing... find a Non FFL friend with a FID or better and "loan" it to them until you get a license.

no matter which one of these you pick, as of now STFU and do not mention this topic to anyone other than a trusted friend until you get a permit.

And BTW it is going to take a long time to get licensed, so get used to waiting

OP: Since you want to do the right thing, understand this - you have to have a place to store it, lawfully, for three months. By the time you take the class (get the LTC, as noted above), and the PD processes it, it will probably be that long.

You do not have to do an efa-10, as that's for a transfer of ownership, and you already own it.

If you belong to a Club, ask a fellow member; if not, join a Club, so you have a place to use it.

IMO, your safest course is to find a properly licensed person to hold it. This is not considered a transfer, it's just like loaning your buddy your lawnmower - you still own it, it's just in his garage.

Get the LTC. As noted above, different towns have different "hoops" that an applicant may (or may not) have to jump through.

Welcome to the DPRM
Thanks for your response. The gun is located in a state that does not require a long gun registration or license to possess. So its out of MA obviously. I am now planning on getting my LTC based on feedback. Thank you everyone for your help!

well I will now ask the experts, if the gun is not in MA, and he did not bring the gun with him when he moved, at that point does the exemption from filing a eFA-10 go away and when he brings it to MA? does he have to file a eFA-10?

It was my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, that no eFA-10 is required for a gun you bring with you across a state line when you move to MA at the time you make the move, but anything you do not bring with you initially (left it behind at Dad's house and decided to bring it to MA) has to be recorded on a eFA-10 with the seller left blank

well I will now ask the experts, if the gun is not in MA, and he did not bring the gun with him when he moved, at that point does the exemption from filing a eFA-10 go away and when he brings it to MA? does he have to file a eFA-10?

It was my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, that no eFA-10 is required for a gun you bring with you across a state line when you move to MA at the time you make the move, but anything you do not bring with you initially (left it behind at Dad's house and decided to bring it to MA) has to be recorded on a eFA-10 with the seller left blank
I did bring it with me when I moved. Since being educated on the law it was moved out of state to a family member until I obtained required license.

I'm not even going to attempt to give an opinion on the correct thing to do at this point..... OK I am, and there will be some that are going to disagree, but to err on the side of caution, once you get licensed, and get the gun back in state, within 7 days file a eFA-10....leave the seller blank.. it may not be required, but it will CYA

Better yet, move to New Hampshire where we don't have to deal with such bullshite

I'm not even going to attempt to give an opinion on the correct thing to do at this point..... OK I am, and there will be some that are going to disagree, but to err on the side of caution, once you get licensed, and get the gun back in state, within 7 days file a eFA-10....leave the seller blank.. it may not be required, but it will CYA

Better yet, move to New Hampshire where we don't have to deal with such bullshite
So who do I say is the seller? Why fill out an efa-10 if there was no transfer of gun ownership?

So who do I say is the seller? Why fill out an efa-10 if there was no transfer of gun ownership?
because it could be argued that you did not apply for a license within the amount of time allowed in the law, and although you did bring it with you when you moved, the delay in applying for a license combined with it leaving the state and returning is just IMHO IANAL too much of a gray area for me, YMMV

Nothing can go wrong by filling out the eFA-10 when you are licensed and the gun returns,,,, and since you own it you leave the seller blank

you don't, MA has no way of knowing when the gun was brought in or left with anyone out of state or anything, just get ur ltc, get ur shotgun back and move on with your life. The efa-10 database is so inaccurate and screwed up and nobody has ever really been charged over it, the statue of limitations is 6 years on efa-10 requirements anyway and your already half way through that so I would just move on. The end goal should be to cover your ass and get ur LTC to cover yourself going forward, but also avoid letting the man know what you have at all reasonable costs, because "shall not be infringed" wasn't a suggestion. You should obviously go with ur gut on this but I know that's what I would do in your situation.

Last edited:
because it could be argued that you did not apply for a license within the amount of time allowed in the law, and although you did bring it with you when you moved, the delay in applying for a license combined with it leaving the state and returning is just IMHO IANAL too much of a gray area for me, YMMV

Nothing can go wrong by filling out the eFA-10 when you are licensed and the gun returns,,,, and since you own it you leave the seller blank
not true, if he doesn't efa-10 the local gestapo will never have a reason to come stomp on his rights and confiscate the one lousy shotgun he decided to efa-10 that he really never had to. Don't bring the man into your life for no reason. There is definitely "shit that can go wrong" from registering a gun he doesn't have to.

It's also still not a transfer because he is just letting someone borrow his shotgun, he still owns it, so no transfer has taken place.

Last edited:
(Remember back in the day when legal advice to noobs
fell into one of two buckets:
  1. Good advice.
  2. Bad advice.
Now we can choose between people flinging:
  1. Good advice.
  2. Bad advice.
  3. F The Man - break the law.
).

This thread has all three.

No. As I said I was unaware I had to register to merely maintain ownership of a shotgun I legally purchased in another state.
It's not an application for title.
Cert of Title.JPG

If you ever have to bust a cap on a home invader,
the prosecution will have no problem with telling a criminal jury
that you "own" the shotgun even if you didn't register the transaction.

get the license and ask that question in class.
51o3vz.jpg

If I only intend to own a long gun is an LTC necessary or will an FID suffice?
Some police chiefs will only issue LTCs to 21+-year olds.

If you're not suitable enough for an LTC,
you're not suitable enough for an FID.

Don't embarrass yourself by applying for less than an LTC.

If I do get an LTC and then god forbid I use my shotgun in a home defense scenario, how do I explain how I legally acquired a shotgun if a purchase wasn’t reported after I obtained my license.
If you use a shotgun in Massachusetts in a home defense scenario,
authorities' interest in your "explanation" will be feigned, at best.
0a7b53c393ecb3463be8ddbdfa64b53c.jpg

GOAL's advice has lovely seldom-seen nuance about
large-cap mags, assault weapons, etc.

But it's so bleeding-edge that it says that transfers
"must be reported to the state via the FA- 10 form";
a paper form which was last accepted on 14-Mar'15,
precisely six years ago to the day.
[rolleyes]
51o5gl.jpg

If you really feel the need to have a registered gun for home defense just buy another one in a Mass gun shop and use that. There’s no need to tell anyone, especially the licensing officer, what you have had in your closet the last few years- that’s what we call self-incrimination.

If you end up using a gun in home defense you have MUCH bigger things to worry about than whether or not the gun is registered. No license would be an issue, along with whatever more traditional crimes they might charge you with for injuring one of our state’s esteemed criminals.

Back
Top Bottom