• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to MA with owned shotgun

So I moved to MA about 3 years ago. Didn’t realize I had to get a license to possess a shotgun I legally bought in another state. What is the best course of action to get licensed with out being arrested for possessing an unregistered firearm?

Are you licensed either FID or LTC?

assume unlicensed. Have any friends that can take possession while you jump through hoops?

Are you licensed either FID or LTC?

assume unlicensed. Have any friends that can take possession while you jump through hoops?
I do have family in another state I can have take possession. Once I get my LTC or FID am I clear to just take back my firearm or do I have to report it to MA once its back in my household.

I do have family in another state I can have take possession. Once I get my LTC or FID am I clear to just take back my firearm or do I have to report it to MA once its back in my household.

get the license and ask that question in class. You should be able to take possession and use the portal to efa10 but I’m no expert. I moved to NH to avoid the tyranny.

That works or if you have a friend with a permit he, or she, can hang on to it for you until you get your permit. You need a permit for ammo as well here.

Bob

If I only intend to own a long gun is an LTC necessary or will an FID suffice?
Keep the shotgun locked away and stay under the radar, or have someone licensed hold onto it, while u get the LTC. LTC costs the same, and it's the same bullshit to get it so dont waste ur time on an FID unless u are under 21. Once you have your LTC that is the end of it, you may legally have and use your shotgun once you have the commiewealth's permission slip, there was no transfer so no EFA-10 required.

Put it in a closet or safe. Get your license. Don't worry about it. Don't transport it. Fly under the radar until you get license
This.
If you want to be really cautious, you can have someone who is licensed hold onto it while you get your LTC.

True. Op ill hold it for you if you want. Seriously.
I'd also probably be willing to hold it in western MA if your out in this side of this shit hole state lol You could also have an FFL dealer hold it (thinking maybe someone at the mill) but then you will have to do a proper transfer back to you once you get ur LTC.

I'd also probably be willing to hold it in western MA if your out in this side of this shit hole state lol You could also have an FFL dealer hold it (thinking maybe someone at the mill) but then you will have to do a proper transfer back to you once you get ur LTC.
Pretty much got the state covered at this point. Lol

Sure sounds like it is still there
Its not there. I am trying to do the right thing. My father was a LEO out west. If I do get an LTC and then god forbid I use my shotgun in a home defense scenario, how do I explain how I legally acquired a shotgun if a purchase wasn’t reported after I obtained my license.

Its not there. I am trying to do the right thing. My father was a LEO out west. If I do get an LTC and then god forbid I use my shotgun in a home defense scenario, how do I explain how I legally acquired a shotgun if a purchase wasn’t reported after I obtained my license.
On one side it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. From my perspective. You do not have it here. Or its with friend with a ltc or fid.

If after you get a license then I would worry about how you got it. Its here.
The states registration is a shit show

MA doesn't work like that, it's not a registry of guns you own or possess, it's a transaction register, you moved here with the shotgun that was already owned and obtained ur ltc. there was no purchase or transfer so no efa-10 is required. dont fall for the trap.

Just get your LTC' once you have the LTC do a EFA-10 form on line doing the registration part only for guns that your bringing in afterwards.Then your all set.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom