• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to MA with handguns

Posting this for my brother in law that is moving back to MA (Boston) from VA. we have done some searching about transferring the firearms into the state and learned that he has the 60 day grace period to legally hold on to said firearms while his app is being processed. his question is what happens if it takes longer than 60 days to get licensed? or if he gets denied?

1) can I, being an LTC-A holder, store these firearms for him until his license comes in? (after 60 days has passed)

2) can they be transferred to me via FA-10 if he gets denied a license, since he doesnt have a license is it possible for him to transfer them to me?

Thanks in advance

Posting this for my brother in law that is moving back to MA (Boston) from VA. we have done some searching about transferring the firearms into the state and learned that he has the 60 day grace period to legally hold on to said firearms while his app is being processed. his question is what happens if it takes longer than 60 days to get licensed? or if he gets denied?

1) can I, being an LTC-A holder, store these firearms for him until his license comes in? (after 60 days has passed)

Yes

2) can they be transferred to me via FA-10 if he gets denied a license, since he doesnt have a license is it possible for him to transfer them to me?

no, it would have to go through an FFL if he doesnt have a license.
Thanks in advance

As always, the above answers could be wrong

If he is moving specifically to BOSTON as opposed to the Boston AREA, it may be difficult for him to get the necessary license at all. Check out the sticky thread on green / red / black towns...

Also, there are guns that he can bring with him that he can never buy here through an FFL. He should consider buying those goodies BEFORE he moves here.

If he is moving specifically to BOSTON as opposed to the Boston AREA, it may be difficult for him to get the necessary license at all. Check out the sticky thread on green / red / black towns...

Also, there are guns that he can bring with him that he can never buy here through an FFL. He should consider buying those goodies BEFORE he moves here.

it is boston (east boston to be exact)

i would assume he would get a restricted license since he has no reason to be denied....

thats kinda what we are trying to figure out, getting the goods in, since he can buy MA comp stuff when he is here

Yes, Boston has it's own rules (surprise, surprise! [thinking] )!

Some guns (more long guns than handguns) are BANNED to Boston subjects, but can be owned by those that do NOT LIVE in Boston.

He better check that thread here that lists the specifics of the Boston Ban (1986 or 1989 vintage . . . with recent additions).

I never read up on info regarding this topic so I'm clueless about moving into the state... but if he were to own a brand new XD and decided to move to MA, he can bring this non compliant handgun into MA?

I never read up on info regarding this topic so I'm clueless about moving into the state... but if he were to own a brand new XD and decided to move to MA, he can bring this non compliant handgun into MA?

Yes, but he'll have to ditch any mags that hold more than 10 rounds. (MA AWB makes > 10 round mags a felony to possess unless they are of pre-9-1994 manufacture. )

-Mike

another thing....if he has handguns that he purchased in VA that are not able to be had on an LTC:B....can they make him get rid of those?

If a PD B-rams and only issues him a LTC-B, he'd be a felon in possession of any hi-cap guns or mags. It's not the PD's problem, but it would be his.

That said, it's my understanding that if one does the app properly Boston does issue LTC-A, but restricted . . . so that shouldn't be an issue.

say he has a 1911 and only gets an LTC-B, how would he go about selling it?

A 1911 is not a high cap pistol since it only holds 8 rounds .45.

No matter what, all post-ban high cap magazines stay in VA. IMO the best scenario is for you to hold onto his guns until he gets his license, then go from there as to what he can own.

If he's moving to Boston and has a clean record, he'll get a restricted A, and apparently they've been pretty good about getting them issued relatively fast (~3-4 weeks) as of late.

The Boston ban bans AKs, ARs, SKSs, FALs, FNCs, AUGs, Galils, and a few select other models, and it is unclear whether the Fiveseven pistol, SW500, and Barrett .50 were actually added to the list.

You may find this thread helpful.

A 1911 is not a high cap pistol since it only holds 8 rounds .45.

No matter what, all post-ban high cap magazines stay in VA. IMO the best scenario is for you to hold onto his guns until he gets his license, then go from there as to what he can own.

i had read somewhere on here, that because there are some 1911 mags that were made hicap, that made them unable to be obtained with the class B...i could be wrong and prob am

hypothetically if he was to get denied, or not a class a and unable to keep certain firearms...he can legally sell/transfer them from his possession, correct? as if i was to take them in my name until he moved to a green town and got the proper license?

And an FFL can only transfer MA compliant guns.

He should investigate whatever legal means he has to keep the "evil" guns (if he even has any!) out of state, IF he does not get class A.

Also, as I understand it, since FA-10 is a registration of a transfer, not of the gun, he need not file FA-10s on the guns he brings in. Just DO have to be legal for him to possess, though.

Makes sense, donut?

Also, as I understand it, since FA-10 is a registration of a transfer, not of the gun, he need not file FA-10s on the guns he brings in. Just DO have to be legal for him to possess, though.

Only if he brings them in at the same time he moves. If he brings them in after he moves, then he'd have to file.

Welcome to Mass!

(READ, then RE-READ as much of the Mass Gun Law forum on this board as you can stomach - this isn't meant as, "did you search first", it's meant as there are too many details and missing ONE point has the potential to send your friend up the river for 10.)

Welcome to Mass!

(READ, then RE-READ as much of the Mass Gun Law forum on this board as you can stomach - this isn't meant as, "did you search first", it's meant as there are too many details and missing ONE point has the potential to send your friend up the river for 10.)

Only if he brings them in at the same time he moves. If he brings them in after he moves, then he'd have to file.

SEE?!

Back
Top Bottom