• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to MA with handguns???

Dedham borders West Roxbury. West Roxbury is one of the nicer areas of Boston to live, but it is still Boston. There are actually some gated communities in Roxbury along the water that are nice too, but you are still close to the 'problem' areas.

And yes, Boston is a tough place to get a license. There is a mandatory range test that has to be taken at THEIR convenience.

Arlington is a bit further north (and has great public transport access) and will issue licenses much easier.

Perhaps some idea of where you need to commute to work will help to recommend some better choices.

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but here in MA you can transfer 4 firearms per year from one private person to another private person. These handguns do not need to need to be Mass-Compliant (although they can not have not have hi-cap mags made before '94). Anyone moving into the State should bring some non-MA compliant hanguns in to sell. Kimbers, colts, SAs, Gen 3 glocks, G36s, etc go for top prices here on NES and there is nothing wrong/illegal about doing it. You make some cash and we get some nice handguns.

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but here in MA you can transfer 4 firearms per year from one private person to another private person. These handguns do not need to need to be Mass-Compliant (although they can not have not have hi-cap mags made before '94). Anyone moving into the State should bring some non-MA compliant hanguns in to sell. Kimbers, colts, SAs, Gen 3 glocks, G36s, etc go for top prices here on NES and there is nothing wrong/illegal about doing it. You make some cash and we get some nice handguns.

BTW... you may want to invest in some goodies that aren't allowed to be sold here (H&K, third gen Glocks, Kahrs) and bring them in - you can sell 4 per year on your LTC once you get one.

I did, but he may not have noticed it... and you put it more clearly.

And yes, Boston is a tough place to get a license. There is a mandatory range test that has to be taken at THEIR convenience.

Look, Boston is a shitty place to be a gun owner but there's no need to spread disinformation. The range test can be taken on any day after the submission of the application. There is a set time (pretty early in the morning) but it's up to the applicant on what day they want to take the test.

Boston is a shitty place to be a gun owner, but there are worse towns that will only issue Bs.

These handguns do not need to need to be Mass-Compliant (although they can not have not have hi-cap mags made before '94).

Garbled and backwards. The mags MUST be made prior to 9/94; it is post-ban mags which are illegal to possess in MA.

If you are restricted to move into Boston's West Roxbury, the link below will give you some great advice on applying for a LTC-Class A. Depending upon who you are, who you know, it may go well and you may be granted the coveted Class A non restricted LTC. Bostonians are getting Restricted to Sport & Target with a NO Conceal Carry addition. I grew up in West Roxbury. It is a nice community. I live in Hyde Park which is not as lovely as West Roxbury. Mayor Menino lives in a section of Hyde Park called Readville. He gets 24 hour police protection. The rest of us take our chances with 911. Good Luck with your housing and location issues. If you have school age kids, don't move into Boston. Maybe you're the school aged kid. :)
Best Regards.
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1069

I live in WestRoxbury, the last thing you want to do is move here. Go to Dedham or Westwood

Also, be sure to rid your self of any high capacity magazines made on or after September 13, 1994. These are illegal. High capacity magazines made prior to September 13, 1994 are always welcome. [wink]

I live in West Roxbury, the last thing you want to do is move here. Go to Dedham or Westwood

PATRON - Is it because of the inability to get an unrestricted Class A there? Or is it really a cruddy place to live???

Dwarven - I did notice the plug like a sledge hammer to the twig 'n berries so to speak.

Mass diver & Scrivener - Thanks for the [legal] info on the high cap mags 10+1 or less I assume is OK? If so I will obtain with alacrity and due diligence (or something like that)

When I get some free time will read more of the GOAL site, I have no problem helping out...and want to research gun clubs some more because I plan on practicing regularly and would like to get to know a good group of people who share my interests (seems I have)...I just can't believe the regulations for everything down in MA...in NH I bought my house with a deposit, a couple signatures, and a handshake...in MA they want all my info, all my buyer's info (WTF?! none of their business), and have a whole page of exactly what has to be done and how they like it...completely different environment.

Last edited:
West Roxbury is a nice section of Boston. Dedham is just as nice. Boston's problem children are drifting into Dedham. Their parents are looking to leave gangs behind. Unfortunately, the kids bring their troubles with them. You'll find higher taxes in Dedham and Westwood.
I'll look for Patron to reply with more information as to why he said WR is cruddy.
Best Regards.

Actually WEST Roxbury is very nice. To the OP I highly recommend that you stock up on some desirable handguns as mentioned previously. You will be on the advantageous side of the supple/demand curve.

Bring Bersa 380s with you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom