Moving to MA with handguns???

Apologize if this has been beaten to death in the forums but couldn't find much based on my search...appreciate some help here...

I'm moving to MA in 3 months. I own a sig sauer p232 (stainless). As far as I can tell the p232 stainless is on the "approved list" (and I realize the approved list is still only a suggested list). Would it be legal for me to move to Massachusetts with this firearm and register it there?

Two people I've talked to who are familiar with Massachusetts have told me that I need to sell this gun before moving, then when I finally move to MA I need to register for class a, b, or FID and then go and buy a new gun.

Surely this can't be the case...What do people do who own multiple handguns and move to massachusetts, they can't expect you to get rid of all your pistols and only buy new ones in the state?

Would appreciate any advice

Thanks

I don't believe you need to sell them. Where are you moving from. MA doesn't really honor many other states licenses. Therefore, if your license isn't honored by MA, then you'd be in possession of a firearms w/o MA license, NOT GOOD.

There's a grace period for new residents to get their licenses (60 days, iirc). A firearm's appearance on a list only determines what a dealer can sell you, not what you can own.

http://www.goal.org/PDF/newres.pdf This is what you need to read.

Last edited:
I am moving from NH, where my license is that fact that I am over 21 and have a pulse.

I've done a lot of research on this online and there are good sites but none that have the answer. It is legal in MA to have a pistol in your home locked up for 60 days after moving in order to obtain at least a FID card (although the legality of transporting said gun from NH to a new home in MA is also questionable)...but if the Class A, B, or FID card is rejected then after 60 days I guess I automatically become a felon!

But say if it were not on the list and I own it from another state, would I be allowed to register it?

Welcome to NES, RHK118!

First off, stop listening to whoever you're talking to as they don't know squat about MA laws. Second... don't move to MA!!! Seriously, consider NH or VT or CT and commute in - you'll be much happier if you love being a gun owner.

OK, in a nutshell: the EOPS list is what is approved for SALE by a DEALER - this in no way affects what you can OWN. You just can't BUY anything on the list from a dealer (read: gun shop) in MA.

What you do is bring it with you, and when you are settled go down to the local police station and apply for a License To Carry, Class A - Restrictions: None. You'll have to take an "approved" course first, and depending where you live, the Chief of Police may make you jump through some other hoops - some illegally require a doctor's note or reference letters.

BTW... you may want to invest in some goodies that aren't allowed to be sold here (H&K, third gen Glocks, Kahrs) and bring them in - you can sell 4 per year on your LTC once you get one.

Oh, yeah... do NOT bring in any high capacity magazines that were manufactured post 1994. They're outlawed.

You do NOT need to register anything you're bringing with you. But do make sure that it's locked up while you're here - we have "safe storage" laws that mandate that.

PDM - thanks for the link, been on the GOAL site before but didn't find that particular page...very helpful.

I was under the impression that you had to provide particulars on the firearm when you went to register for FID or Class A,B and that is when they tell you that your gun is illegal in MA. From this page sounds like specific info on the gun in only necessary when you sell to someone else or buy from a dealer?

So I should be OK bringing the sig p232 into the state because I am moving there with it...I talked to Sig Sauer and it turns out they build 2 versions of the stainless p232 - there is a MA compliant version and the one they sell to everyone else - mine is not the MA compliant version...will this be a problem?

PDM - thanks for the link, been on the GOAL site before but didn't find that particular page...very helpful.

I was under the impression that you had to provide particulars on the firearm when you went to register for FID or Class A,B and that is when they tell you that your gun is illegal in MA. From this page sounds like specific info on the gun in only necessary when you sell to someone else or buy from a dealer?

So I should be OK bringing the sig p232 into the state because I am moving there with it...I talked to Sig Sauer and it turns out they build 2 versions of the stainless p232 - there is a MA compliant version and the one they sell to everyone else - mine is not the MA compliant version...will this be a problem?
RHK - read this very carefully: THERE IS NO NEED TO REGISTER YOUR GUN WHEN YOU MOVE INTO MA. YOU DO NOT NEED TO CARE IF IT IS COMPLIANT BECAUSE THAT ONLY REFERS TO WHAT CAN BE SOLD IN MA BY A DEALER.

Wow! You all post replies much faster than I type...sounds like my question is answered then, I'm keeping the beloved p232 (not much but it sure is purty...and shoots well)...as for the people that gave me advise to sell my gun before moving (both NH gun store workers/owner), I think they are very skittish about anyone who mentions the word Massachusetts, making them give the very conservative safe answers.

I wish I could stay in NH for this very reason believe me! But it isn't a possibility. I'm all for safety and keeping the gun locked up unloaded, just don't want to become a felon in the process of trying to be responsible.

Thanks for the replys guys...now on to research the class A thing.

rhk118, you never mentioned where in MA you are moving (or I missed it). I highly recommend ensuring you pick the proper city. Some cities will NOT issue LTCs and others will be restricted (you can't carry them). Please do your research before you move to MA or you may find yourself without your p232.

Apologize if this has been beaten to death in the forums but couldn't find much based on my search...appreciate some help here...

I sincerely doubt that you bothered much to look; this subject HAS "been beaten to death in the forums." The answer is HERE:

MGL c. 140, s. 129C (exceptions):

(j) Any new resident moving into the commonwealth, any resident of the commonwealth returning after having been absent from the commonwealth for not less than 180 consecutive days or any resident of the commonwealth upon being released from active service with any of the armed services of the United States with respect to any firearm, rifle or shotgun and any ammunition therefor then in his possession, for 60 days after such release, return or entry into the commonwealth;

I'm moving to MA in 3 months. I own a sig sauer p232 (stainless). As far as I can tell the p232 stainless is on the "approved list" (and I realize the approved list is still only a suggested list). Would it be legal for me to move to Massachusetts with this firearm and register it there?

If you read "the list" you should also have read that it applies to DEALER SALES. Period. It has no application to what you can bring with you when you move.

Note the "bring with you." Any gun you move here with is exempt from registration under s. 129C(j). Bring a gun in AFTER you move and an FA-10 must be filed promptly. Hence the need to file for your LTC very soon after arrival. Also the need to change your driver's license, vehicle and voter registration with alacrity and dispatch, as you can use those to show residency.

Two people I've talked to who are familiar with Massachusetts have told me that I need to sell this gun before moving, then when I finally move to MA I need to register for class a, b, or FID and then go and buy a new gun.

They don't know what they are talking about. Ignore them.

Surely this can't be the case...What do people do who own multiple handguns and move to massachusetts, they can't expect you to get rid of all your pistols and only buy new ones in the state?

They don't. See above.

Would appreciate any advice

Thanks

You're welcome. [wink]

I highly recommend ensuring you pick the proper city. Some cities will NOT issue LTCs and others will be restricted (you can't carry them).
EXCELLENT point! Rep point for you, Jason!

Read this thread to get an idea of what towns are more likely to give you an unrestricted LTC.

Read this thread to get an idea of what towns are more likely to give you an unrestricted LTC.

+ a MILLION, Ross.. We have this stream of people who come to MA, we tell them NOT to move someplace, and
then they do it anyways thinking "it cant be that bad" and then the next moment they're in here going "WAAAAAAAAH I got an LTC/B/restricted A" Yes, it is THAT bad, so it is imperative that anyone who has to move into MA does their homework on where they are going to "land".

Another thing that people forget.... some people red-herring themselves into thinking that they will get an A/ALP
just because they have a nonresident A/ALP from MA.... that's complete, 110% BS. I've seen at least two people tell me they "didn't believe me" and then they landed in places like slummerville and brockton, and then they
went "WAAAAAAH! I GOT DOWNGRADED!!! WAAAH!" etc.

-Mike

Last edited:
Believe me when I say I searched, just not very well [wink] (dain bramage from eating too many paint chips as a kid...but hey...they were good) ....plus it's nice to get this info verified by other people who have been there, done that...and I thank you all for your prompt replys!

As for location...we're currently looking into the West Roxbury area...any advice on LTC? (I know probably not good, but it is what it is)

Welcome to our nightmare.

Just to be clear here, when you apply for a LTC (forget an FID, they are only for long guns and not to carry) you don’t need to tell the PD if you even OWN a gun. What you own is not their business. You can’t bring in any post-ban magazines or MA banned assault weapon but pretty much any handgun is ok. The whole MA compliant thing only regulates what an FFL here in MA can sell a MA resident.
You are actually in a good position, in that you can buy pistols WE here in MA cannot buy new from an FFL and bring them here when you move. You can then legally sell those pistols to a MA resident. (max 4 transactions per calendar year)

(SNIP)

As for location...we're currently looking into the West Roxbury area...any advice on LTC? (I know probably not good, but it is what it is)

Yikes! Two strikes right there!
1. You will NEED a gun.
2. You will have a hard/impossible time getting a license to own one legally.

Isn't it nice what your elected officials do for(to) you?

I don't see it listed here.. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it would be an restricted (aka you can't carry), or very very hard to get at all.

Thanks! It now says I'm a 'Marksman!' Now let's hope when I get back to the land of the free* and I go shooting my AQT agrees!

* I was talked into a 2 week business trip to CA. I feel so defenseless. I stopped at a gun range over the weekend, but they wanted $14 for an entry fee and I didn't have any eye/ear protection. :(

Stay clear of Roxbury, west roxbury, dorchester, or any of those BAD areas. Not only will you definately need your GUN, but, those towns won't let you have them. They figure, if all those hoodlums and gangbangers don't have to worry about approaching an armed law-abiding citizen then all will be well. GO for a GREEN TOWN.

West Roxbury is part of Boston, isn't it? Boston will issue you the Class A LTC with restriction "sport/target no concealed carry". So you'd be able to protect yourself at home but not once you leave it.

Don't move to Roxbury. Or Dorchester. Like others have beaten to death, you WILL need your gun there.

Arlington is near Boston yet issues ALP licenses. W. Roxbury is part of Boston.

Read this for what you will endure trying to get an LTC in Boston. And then call your realtor and tell him/er to start looking somewhere else. [wink]

Stay clear of Roxbury, west roxbury, dorchester, or any of those BAD areas. Not only will you definately need your GUN, but, those towns won't let you have them. They figure, if all those hoodlums and gangbangers don't have to worry about approaching an armed law-abiding citizen then all will be well. GO for a GREEN TOWN.

While West Roxbury is part of Boston, it IS NOT a complete craphole like Roxbury and Dorchester.

That said, Dedham is very close and I believe it's green.

Back
Top Bottom