• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to MA with guns

I have a friend who is probably moving to MA with her guns. I wanted to confirm for her the necessary steps for the move. My understanding is that she can bring anything the wants with her except for post-ban hi-cap magazines and post ban assault rifles (unless she makes the rifles compliant).

So my understanding is this: she can bring her guns with her when she moves. She will need to get her LTC within 60 days from that time. Before getting the LTC, she will need to take a training course and (I assume) get a Massachusetts drivers license.

I assume that they just take your word for it as to when you moved, but is it wise to have some way to document when you moved (when you changed to a Massachusetts drivers license, for instance)? If the 60 day mark comes and she hasn't received her LTC yet, I would assume that she should store the firearms with someone who has an LTC?

If she ends up getting an LTC-B instead of A (she wouldn't request B, but I don't know what town she'll be living in), would she have to get rid of whatever high-cap guns she has? Would she be able to sell them in MA or would she have to ship them back to her family in another (free) state?

Any input into the process would be appreciated, as I bought my first gun in MA.

I tried to search, but I'm not great at using the search function. So I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it.

Tell her to buy as many non-MA compliant hang guns as she can afford. I wish I bought more before I got out of the mil.

Pardon me but we need more gun owners here, not less, and this is defeatist and short-sighted. Get longer sights....[wink]

No, it's not defeatist, it's realist. This state is bad news for gun owners, and I'd never encourage anyone to move here. Ever. It's not worth their suffering and loss of rights to help us fools that choose to(or have to, for whatever reason) continue to live in this (political) dump. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
No, it's not defeatist, it's realist. This state is bad news for gun owners, and I'd never encourage anyone to move here. Ever. It's not worth their suffering and loss of rights to help us fools that choose to(or have to, for whatever reason) continue to live in this (political) dump. [laugh]

-Mike
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. I wish every word of whining here by MA gun owners was in a letter to their elected officials.

It was virtually impossible for state politicians to stand up to Kennedy, who could righteously point to his two assassinated brothers. Now that he's gone we have the best opportunity in years to start turning things around.

So by all means, if you are a gun owner and welcome the opportunity to really fight for your Second Amendment rights, this is the time! Welcome to Massachusetts, home to Kahr, Harrington & Richardson, Savage, and Smith and Wesson. Lets buy them all!

Last edited:
mass

I posted in another thread my thoughts.there were 1,700,000 licensed gun owners in 1997 and by 2000 there were only 260,000.so to the poster why should any one move here.you had the votes and did not use them.you had chance to get rid of ted by voting dem in the primaries and knocking him out.and who voted for obama.you dont have that many blacks in mass.we have 50% or more in some places and the state went republican.you had Mitt ROMNEY,and you had King,you had Karen McNutt run for AG.and you creamed her.nobody puts gun laws in here.they know what would happen.

Sorry, Moving here was the dumbest thing I ever did. There is no hope for this wasteland, but I'm stuck now.

Don't do it!!!
You're stuck here? They revoked your visa?

I agree we need more gun owners..... lol but who would give up a sweet deal in another state to live here..
The very high per capita income and relatively strong employment seem to have something to do with it.

I posted in another thread my thoughts.there were 1,700,000 licensed gun owners in 1997 and by 2000 there were only 260,000.so to the poster why should any one move here.you had the votes and did not use them.you had chance to get rid of ted by voting dem in the primaries and knocking him out.and who voted for obama.you dont have that many blacks in mass.we have 50% or more in some places and the state went republican.you had Mitt ROMNEY,and you had King,you had Karen McNutt run for AG.and you creamed her.nobody puts gun laws in here.they know what would happen.
No offense and glad it works for you but South Carolina is very far down my list. My kids go to school here and already know how to spell, punctuate, and capitalize.[wink]

Last edited:
I stand with Garandman.
I just moved the family here from CA. Most everything is better here: schools, real estate, employment, traffic, Illegal Aliens. Only things that are worse are the weather, tics and politics.
Seriously, someone's got to stay and fight the good fight. It'll take a generation to change this state. I'm doing my part by planting my 2 seedlings here and raising them right (as opposed to left).

Drift Recovery:
Everything I read in the OP looked correct. The trick is the 60 day grace period. Legally they have 40 days to get you your license after you apply, but it often takes much longer so you need to apply ASAP.

I extended one of my househunting trips just so I could take the NRA Pistol Safety course in MA. Then when I got here a quick trip to the RMV and I had a temporary driver's license, which worked for the Chief. Another trick for applying quickly is prooving you live here. I'm renting a house, but I didn't have any utility bills in my name yet. However, a copy of the signed rental contract worked for the Chief.

I extended one of my househunting trips just so I could take the NRA Pistol Safety course in MA.

That's some excellent advice there. Classes can be a real pain to schedule, especially lately. You need to live here to start the application paperwork, but anybody from anyplace can take the training class, and Massachusetts is basically the only place to take the magic Mass.-approved version of the class even though it's the same "NRA Basic Pistol" or whatever you can take anyplace.

Cockpitbob - right on! You only lose when you stop fighting. We need more people who like to fight!

That's some excellent advice there. Classes can be a real pain to schedule, especially lately. You need to live here to start the application paperwork, but anybody from anyplace can take the training class, and Massachusetts is basically the only place to take the magic Mass.-approved version of the class even though it's the same "NRA Basic Pistol" or whatever you can take anyplace.
Sig Sauer Academy has MA approved classes. I tell my wife it's required every few years!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom