Moving to MA: What should I buy?

While you're at it, learn the difference between a "clip" and a "magazine."

Some here don't comprehend the distinction.[rolleyes]

While you're at it, learn the difference between a "clip" and a "magazine."

Some here don't comprehend the distinction.[rolleyes]

Neither does the NRA:

CLIP
A device for holding a group of cartridges. Semantic wars have been fought over the word, with some insisting it is not a synonym for "detachable magazine." For 80 years, however, it has been so used by manufacturers and the military. There is no argument that it can also mean a separate device for holding and transferring a group of cartridges to a fixed or detachable magazine or as a device inserted with cartridges into the mechanism of a firearm becoming, in effect, part of that mechanism.

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FirearmsGlossary/

"Clips" hold and load ammo into magazines.

"Magazines" hold ammo in guns for feeding into the receiver.

The latter almost always have springs.

Anything to the contrary is specious cant.

Neither does the NRA:

CLIP
A device for holding a group of cartridges. Semantic wars have been fought over the word, with some insisting it is not a synonym for "detachable magazine." For 80 years, however, it has been so used by manufacturers and the military.
and gay used to mean happy. [wink]

Tough Crowd

Wow, what a tough crowd. I guess I need to be more careful with my wording. Yes, I know the clip feeds the magazine and the magazine feeds the chamber.

I'm in the worker's paradise of California, so the same 10 round mag rules apply, though I don't think they are so draconian as to make having them a felony.

Thanks for watching out for me.

And the XD has indicators for loaded chamber and cocked hammer. I'm not sure if the Glock does.

The newest glocks have the former on the right side, although our esteemed AG thinks otherwise, but I am not sure if it is on all models, etc. I have never heard of a cocked hammer indicator[thinking] other than, gee, a cocked hammer. On a glock, the latter "indicator" is the trigger. If it is forward, it can fire.

The newest glocks have the former on the right side, although our esteemed AG thinks otherwise, but I am not sure if it is on all models, etc. I have never heard of a cocked hammer indicator[thinking] other than, gee, a cocked hammer. On a glock, the latter "indicator" is the trigger. If it is forward, it can fire.

Springfield calls it a Striker Status Indicator: little nub stickes out of back of slide. Can see it or feel with thumb.

Springfield calls it a Striker Status Indicator: little nub stickes out of back of slide. Can see it or feel with thumb.

Sure, I can see a striker status indicator if the trigger is always in a DA position, but hammers are not strikers and vice versa, hence my incredulity of the very idea of a "cocked hammer indicator".

Like you said, tough crowd. [smile] But there is a reason. Holding ourselves to a higher standard, means that others are less likely to have the opportunity to hold us to a standard that is wholly unreasonable. We are trying to hold onto whatever we have left here.

Glock most definitely does not have this, other than the position of the trigger which is noticeably different between ready to fire state (ignoring loaded round status) and a unready to fire state.

Cross-x is a big ipsec, idpa guy and if he is saying get the 34, it is because of the utility of said pistol in competition.

At the end of the day, buy what you would like to own that is not on the approval lists here in ma**h***land. If you want to invest, then any springfield or 3rd gen glock will at least retain it's full new value while used. You can make $ if you don't fire it, but not a lot given the 4 FTF you can do a year.

I'm actually enjoying getting back in with a stricter, more disciplined crowd. These CA fruits & nuts are way too "if it feels good, do it" for me.

Regarding Glock vs. XD, I rented both at the local range. The XD fit my hand a lot better and I was making tighter groups. That was enough for me.

In CA we are throttled to buying 1 handgun/30 days. I have about 3 weeks to decide on my next purchase.

Back
Top Bottom