• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to MA: What should I buy?

cockpitbob

NES Member
Earlier I posted that I'm moving from CA to MA in a few months. Among the excellent advice I got was to stock-up on whatever handguns I may want that are not on MA's approved list. All I have is a 3.5" barreled 9mm Smith that I'm not happy with. I've been out of handgun shooting a while so I'm not sure what I want[thinking]. My plan is to over buy and unload what I decide I don't like once in MA.

I enjoy .22 target shooting and I think I want to get into IDPA or something similar. What would you recommend for a target .22 and a 9mm or larger semi-auto? What do you think of .22 conversions for 1911s?

BTW, the goofy CA laws restrict me to 1 NEW handgun/month, but I can buy a bushel of used ones in one day. {just think of the lives saved[rofl]}

For the price of a .22 Conversion, you can buy a pretty decent .22 Ruger and the mags are cheaper. If the goal is to use the same trigger for practice, it might be worthwhile. I own one and rarely use it.

Third Gen Colt Single Actions might be worthwile as well as the above.

Oh, and once you get settled all of us MA firearm owners would like it if you joined GOAL. We need all the member we can get.

Last edited:
Oh, and once you get settled all of us MA firearm owners wouls like it if you joined GOAL. We need all the member we can get.

+1 Join Goal ASAP-- We Are fighting an uphill battle here and I believe we can win it with support from our gun owners.

Take a look at the Approved Firearm Roster available off of the GOAL site, http://www.goal.org/legislation/legislation.html. Any gun not on this list would be a good one. Also, as vellnueve 3rd gen Glocks are good to 'cause even though they are on the Approved Roster the AG's office does not approve of their sale so they are not available either.

So I would suggest 3rd gen Glock, XD, Kimber or other 1911's not on the list, and an FN 5.7.

I just looked at XDs.....too many options! 3", 4", 5", 45 ACP, Tactical...my brain hurts
bangheadonwall.gif
. Let's say I want something solely for IDPA. Can you help me narrow the choices?

BTW, since it's never too early to do the right thing, I just wrote my check to GOAL.

pick up a few extra Springfield XDs and 3rd Gen glocks and *ahem* lemme purchase one or two [smile]

*this post is not serious, nor is intended to be any sort of straw purchase. I possess my LTCA and only purchase through legal means. Anyone in any governmental agency can relax now*

Springfield XD, any Kimber, Ed Brown, Les Baer, any .45 H&K. With the exception of Sig, S&W and Para, if it's being talked about in any gun magazine, there's not much chance you can go wrong because we probably can't get it here.

Ken

So if he buys a gun not on the "approved" list before he gets here, he can bring them in and legally own them right? So what if he decides to sell a few of these, FTF, once he gets here - could he sell them to anyone licensed for that 'class' of weapon (i.e. LTC/A licensee)?[thinking]

So if he buys a gun not on the "approved" list before he gets here, he can bring them in and legally own them right? So what if he decides to sell a few of these, FTF, once he gets here - could he sell them to anyone licensed for that 'class' of weapon (i.e. LTC/A licensee)?[thinking]
Yes and yes. The approved list is for dealer sales. The only constraints are 4 FTF sales per year and no hi-cap magazines.

pick up a few extra Springfield XDs and 3rd Gen glocks and *ahem* lemme purchase one or two [smile]

*this post is not serious, nor is intended to be any sort of straw purchase. I possess my LTCA and only purchase through legal means. Anyone in any governmental agency can relax now*

...and I wouldn't have anything to do with a pre-arranged purchase. That smells too much like trying to make $ or dodge MA's laws. The MA laws are so convoluted and indiscriminate that I'm sure the AG could make trouble for me. This is all about my last chance to get something that may be unavailable for the rest of my life, and not having time to decide now.

That being said, I am buying more than I need (read that as being more $ lying unused in a safe than the wife would be happy with) so I will be unloading some. I'm just fine with owning used guns, but I'm not sure about everyone else. Would I have more trouble unloading a 5-10 year old gun vs. one that's been to the range 1-2 times?

A house in NH.

[laugh2][rofl] oh, what, he's serious[rolleyes] He's right! MA has gone down hill a lot since John Adams helped get us our Liberty.[crying]

If I had my druthers, we would be moving to NH. Better schools, safe neighborhoods, lower taxes, more freedoms and less moonbats. I also love the way you make your prison inmates stamp out license plates that say "live free or die". Just not enough engineering jobs.

Last edited:
Understand that "dodging" laws by complying with the letter (if not the spirit) is not only legal, but it's practically the definition of "American". This is particularly true when it comes to the Massachusetts AG's office, whose only authority to regulate firearms sales beyond what's in the statutes comes through the fiction of "consumer protection". The advice about BATFE (in regard to "straw purchases") should be followed carefully, though.

Ken

no1 ever says this one, but the walther pps would be nice.

And be careful, the ATF can see moving to mass with these firearms and selling them at a profit borderline if not outright "dealing without a license".

Understand that "dodging" laws by complying with the letter (if not the spirit) is not only legal, but it's practically the definition of "American". This is particularly true when it comes to the Massachusetts AG's office, whose only authority to regulate firearms sales beyond what's in the statutes comes through the fiction of "consumer protection". The advice about BATFE (in regard to "straw purchases") should be followed carefully, though.

Ken

I completely agree with that definition American. Not laying down for a government we didn't like is how we became who we are.
WavingFlag.gif

On the other hand, I've got a clean record, a wife, 2 kids and tender hemorrhoids, so without the ability to be absolutely certain I'm playing by the rules, I stay well inside them. And the laws are so convoluted and non-intuitive, knowing I'm playing by the rules isn't easy.

Do what everyone else does. Live in southern NH and commute to MA. Compared to most commutes in CA it would be like a walk around the block.

Gave it serious thought, but I had a 1hr+ commute for 4 years and I'll never do that again. I want to see my kids on weekdays too. We want a house in a location where if I have to change jobs there's a strong likelihood we won't have to uproot the kids and move.

To answer your question about how people around here feel about used guns... we don't mind it at all... as long as they were well maintained by the previous owners... used is just fine.

It's also hard to answer the question "what do I get?". If such a place exists in CA... I'd suggest heading to a public range that rents out guns... and you can get a feel for what you might like to get.

For IDPA... Glock 34 and 35's are popular... as are 1911's, Sigs, and XD's. I know... that's not too helpful [smile] But generally, you want a "service" size gun for IDPA. 4-6 inch barrels.

As for .22 conversions... My brother has a Kimber .45 with a matching .22 conversion and I think it's pretty damn nice. I also have a Glock 19 with a .22 conversion slide/barrel from Advantage Arms. I think these conversions are good for training on the cheap.... and getting beginner shooters started... but if you're looking to target shoot (with accuracy as a priority)... I'd take the advice above and get a Ruger Mark II or III. Cheap and great for target shooting.

Honestly... there are so many guns out there it's hard to tell you what to get [smile]

Find a range that rents guns and try as many as you can... or take a trip out to MA this Thanksgiving and come to our Nov 29th Pumpkin Shoot... there will be MANY guns for you to try out... for free! [smile]

Just bought an XD and the Wife didn't blink!

We are moving from CA to MA over the holidays and I'm taking everyone's advice and buying whatever I want, or may want years from now, if it is not on MA's approved roster.

I just bought an XD-45, 5". When I told the wife, not only did she not blink, but she asked with a smile what else I was going to buy. She knows that in MA they are worth more than in CA. As near as I can tell, she's written me a blank check to fill the safe!
[party]

She expects me to over buy, then sell my least favorites once I've had time to evaluate them. What I might not have told her is that I can only sell 4 per year....or is that one every 4 years [wink].

We are moving from CA to MA over the holidays and I'm taking everyone's advice and buying whatever I want, or may want years from now, if it is not on MA's approved roster.

I just bought an XD-45, 5". When I told the wife, not only did she not blink, but she asked with a smile what else I was going to buy. She knows that in MA they are worth more than in CA. As near as I can tell, she's written me a blank check to fill the safe!
[party]

She expects me to over buy, then sell my least favorites once I've had time to evaluate them. What I might not have told her is that I can only sell 4 per year....or is that one every 4 years [wink].

Just make sure you get 10 round clips for your brand new guns. Since having a clip that holds over 10 rounds is a felony in MA (unless the clip was owned on or before September 13, 1994) you'll want to make sure that they don't make the trip with you.
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131m.htm

(Owning the guns is fine, owning the big clips they come with is not. Welcome to Massachusetts! [rolleyes])

Back
Top Bottom