• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to MA Next week

Hey,

We are finally moving to the Berkshires next week. (Yes a Green Town)

Is anyone aware of a good hand gun course for me to take in June? Prior to applying for the LTC I believe I need the basic safety course. I've also convinced my wife to take the course with me. She is slowly coming around.

I think I am also going to swing by the gun shop before I move. I don't own any 40Cal Glocks right now, but I may want them in the future and its so much easier to buy a new gen-4 here. Decisions decisions...Maybe I will even buy a 45 Cal. I don't need it now but I may WANT it in the future. Its the old forbidden fruit thing.

Thanks for any recommendations.
Erich

Hi Eric,
Rep points inbound for going green with so few posts.

I did what you are doing in 2009. I got a lot of good advice on this thread.

GOAL (www.goal.org) is your best resource and advocate for firearms owners in MA. I suggest you join them, but their info is free and on their site you'll find info on where to get the class.

Advice: take the class and start the LTC application as soon as you can. Since you are bringing guns in with you, you only have 60 days to get your LTC. The state can move very slowly. I took the class before moving to MA and I applied for the LTC 3 days after moving. The LTC took 50 days to get, so I was 7 days from having to find a properly licensed person (or gun shop) to store my toys for me.

I took my course with RobMcD, he teaches everywhere from ct to the course he held at the Stockbridge sportsmans club in the berkshires and does various other state classes as well.

Dom

Do you want my list so you can bring them with you?

Ha. I think there are some legal ramifications with that one. But I am still going today to buy some new handguns.

Thanks for all the other training advice. I do have a family member who has a LTC-A who can hold my guns if need-be. I will start my license right away once I move next week.

I would say welcome to MA, but I know you will regret it and soon move out, so I will say: Bye, good luck!

(Just kidding)

I know I have read and heard the stories. But what i found funny is a friend of mine from CT said move to MASS so you can buy a Tommy Gun. So perhaps there are some laws that are better in MA then elsewhere. Or maybe he was wrong.

this is "the list", long story short find guns you want that are not on this list and buy them before you come to MA.

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/approved_firearms_roster.pdf

think of any possible handgun you could want, check the list, and if it's not on it--buy it. the only thing you need to watch out for is post-ban (9/13/94) hi-capacity mags. those can under no circumstances come into MA.

Sure, CT is worse than MA in some ways, but that doesn't make MA good.

Of all the New England states Vermont has the fewest guns laws (but lots of libtards). NH is quickly becoming MA due to migration. ME is nice once you get up past Portland into the real part of the state.

I'd say run away while you still can. This place sucks worse than you can imagine.

Hey,

We are finally moving to the Berkshires next week. (Yes a Green Town)

Is anyone aware of a good hand gun course for me to take in June? Prior to applying for the LTC I believe I need the basic safety course. I've also convinced my wife to take the course with me. She is slowly coming around.

I think I am also going to swing by the gun shop before I move. I don't own any 40Cal Glocks right now, but I may want them in the future and its so much easier to buy a new gen-4 here. Decisions decisions...Maybe I will even buy a 45 Cal. I don't need it now but I may WANT it in the future. Its the old forbidden fruit thing.

Thanks for any recommendations.
Erich

Welcome to the Berkshires, Erich.

(Please learn to pronounce it correctly: BERKshrs.)

Which town?

We will be moving to Lenox.

I was almost able to buy a Kimber SOLO today. But the shop only had a demo model in stock. It was a very nice gun with a smooth trigger compared to my glocks, and a great size for pocket carry. I did end up buying a G22 and G27 tonight both Gen4 of course.

I also looked at a G30, which is the 45Cal version. But for some reason it did not appeal to me. But maybe i will go back tomorrow and buy it after I sleep on it. If i don't like how it shoots I can always sell it. Right?

Wait, are you serious in that if you move here WITH guns not on the AG/EOPS list, its legal?

Really?

Wait, are you serious in that if you move here WITH guns not on the AG/EOPS list, its legal?

Really?
Yup, it's legal to bring them when you move. But it's a one shot deal. Once a resident of MA he can't go out of state to buy and bring in guns not on the list. And he can sell them once he moves here. "The list" mainly applies to delears who can't sell anything not on the list.

Thank you for the clarification. That is what i thought, and why i am trying to think of any handgun i might ever want in the future.

Thank you for the clarification. That is what i thought, and why i am trying to think of any handgun i might ever want in the future.

Thanks, Erich.

I just slipped into a very long fantasy. Previously only brought on by when my wife asks "so what do you want for your birthday?" [smile]

Last edited:
You have my deepest sympathies on moving to the People's Republic of Taxachusetts. It is where freedom was born and died.

The Berkshires are wonderfully picturesque, but full of far too many moonbats.

Care to justify that opinion? You know, with actual data - ridiculous laws that have been proposed? Laws that have passed, etc?
Ummmm..........isn't there a BOSTON NH right over the border? WEeeeeeeerrrrrr C'oming with are corrupt elected critters n' laws for you commoners!!!!!!!! THe Social elite like JKerry will see if he can reregister his yacht up there for less excise tax. You do have a frozen rate excise tax up there don't you? YOU WILL DAMMIT![wink]

Last edited:
Ummmm..........isn't there a BOSTON NH right over the border? WEeeeeeeerrrrrr C'oming with are corrupt elected critters n' laws for you commoners!!!!!!!! THe Social elite like JKerry will see if he can reregister his yacht up there for less excise tax. You do have a frozen rate excise tax up there don't you? YOU WILL DAMMIT![wink]

Actually, if you look at the last election data, we are going in the other (correct) direction. Freedom is as far away as Nashua. C'mon up. The air is fresher, the people nicer (sorta) and you can still go to Boston about as often as your reflux will allow.

Back
Top Bottom