Moving to MA in 2022

So, I have previously lived in MA 10 years ago and thought I had a good handle on the gun laws, but apparently things changed with a letter from healey.

Currently I live in a gun friendly state and want to buy a nice AR/AK and maybe a few pistols and bring them with me to MA. In the past, that just meant all I had to do was pin the stock and weld the muzzle brake on. Now, it seems like things might be different? Something about how all AKs/ARs and 'functionally equivalent' guns are banned post 'healey'? Or is that similar to the glock/pistol roster stuff, where its legal to own but not for dealers to sell.

Also, Apparently all 'AR pistols' are banned as well, even if you move in with them? (So I am guessing I cant buy a MCX rattler pistol and bring it with me?)

Sorry if that has (undoubtedly) been covered before. I went over the various stickys in this forum (Moving to MA?) (AWB ban) etc.. but all of them are 10+ years old and dont address this issue well in the stickied post

Thank you!

Cliffnotes: Can I just buy whatever guns I want and bring them in, so long as I pin/weld the stock/muzzle?

Chances are whatever free state pistol you build will run afoul of the MA AWB (codified law). That hasn’t changed since you left.

It’s not ARs specifically, but the feature for mags that attach outside the pistol grip.

To be clear: Does this mean I could go buy a brand new 16 inch AR-15 today in my current state and bring it with me, so long as I pin/weld it? Is there any restrictions at all?

To be clear: Does this mean I could go buy a brand new 16 inch AR-15 today in my current state and bring it with me, so long as I pin/weld it? Is there any restrictions at all?
Yeah for sure. Or save on the packing and just buy it when you get here lol

Yes and you don’t even have to register the guns you bring so the state won’t know about them. MA only registers transfers.
Only thing you can’t bring are post ban standard size magazines.
Hope you have a good reason to move to that state.

Lastly-

Is there any way at all to bring a new SBR?
You will need permission from the ATF to do so.

I don’t know how/if they’ll approve if you cannot produce a valid LTC. Post in the NFA subforum for a better answer.

So, I have previously lived in MA 10 years ago and thought I had a good handle on the gun laws, but apparently things changed with a letter from healey.

Currently I live in a gun friendly state and want to buy a nice AR/AK and maybe a few pistols and bring them with me to MA. In the past, that just meant all I had to do was pin the stock and weld the muzzle brake on. Now, it seems like things might be different? Something about how all AKs/ARs and 'functionally equivalent' guns are banned post 'healey'? Or is that similar to the glock/pistol roster stuff, where its legal to own but not for dealers to sell.

Also, Apparently all 'AR pistols' are banned as well, even if you move in with them? (So I am guessing I cant buy a MCX rattler pistol and bring it with me?)

Sorry if that has (undoubtedly) been covered before. I went over the various stickys in this forum (Moving to MA?) (AWB ban) etc.. but all of them are 10+ years old and dont address this issue well in the stickied post

Thank you!

Cliffnotes: Can I just buy whatever guns I want and bring them in, so long as I pin/weld the stock/muzzle?
I moved here a little over 10 years ago. Yes the taxes, liberals in general, and gun laws are a PITA but I'm having a great time here and am much more active with shooting sports and hunting than I was back in Tennessee. Tons of clubs and ranges compared to back home. There's a core group here on NES and once you get to know them they are a lot of help. Sure I'll bail out of here in a few short years but I'm having a great time in the meantime. Keep in mind that I live in a very green town where LTC's are no-brainers for lawful citizens.

Follow the guidelines of the original Federal AWB and ignore the Healy stuff. The old stickies cover what is law, not an AG's opinion written in a newspaper. While nobody is going to raiding your home, you will get tripped up on post ban mags over 10 rounds in case the cops see them. As far as what I know for pistols- if not easy enough to get in Mass get them before you move here.

Back
Top Bottom