• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to MA from CT.

Hey guys, quick question. I'll be moving to Mass from CT soon. I haven't purchased a gun yet. Have my eye on a glock 19 gen 5. If i purchase that in CT before I make the move, am I okay to being that with me? What is the correct way to transfer it to MA? just want to do it the correct way because I know I cannot buy a glock in MA

You can move into MA with whatever handguns you own. Once you're a MA resident, then you need to EFA-10 any firearms you buy. No need to do an EFA-10 or register them in any way. So get your new Glock before you move to MA!

ETA: You CAN buy Glocks in MA, you'll just pay more and have to look to find what you want.

And apply for your LTC right away! Lock any guns up and leave them alone until your LTC comes in. Depending on town it could be several months.

Last edited:
You can move into MA with whatever handguns you own. Once you're a MA resident, then you need to EFA-10 any firearms you buy. No need to do an EFA-10 or register them in any way. So get your new Glock before you move to MA!

ETA: You CAN buy Glocks in MA, you'll just pay more and have to look to find what you want.

And apply for your LTC right away! Lock any guns up and leave them alone until your LTC comes in. Depending on town it could be several months.

So I can buy that and bring it in without registering it at all? and just keep it locked up while waiting for the LTC? and i'm good to go?

Hey guys, quick question. I'll be moving to Mass from CT soon. I haven't purchased a gun yet. Have my eye on a glock 19 gen 5. If i purchase that in CT before I make the move, am I okay to being that with me? What is the correct way to transfer it to MA? just want to do it the correct way because I know I cannot buy a glock in MA

A Massachusetts LTC-A holder can own/possess firearms regardless of whether or not they are on the lists applicable to what Mass licensed dealers can sell to the public in Massachusetts- as long as the firearms aren't explicitly prohibited by law (e.g. sawed off shotguns, disguised firearms, assault weapons). [Machine guns require a separate license]

There is no exemption to allow a new resident to move into Mass with a large capacity firearm...even if only possessed with 10 round or less magazines. The exemption which allows a new resident to possess a firearm in his home for 60 days while obtaining an FID does not apply to large capacity firearms. See Commonwealth v. Clint A. Cornelius (78 Mass App Court 413).

So I can buy that and bring it in without registering it at all? and just keep it locked up while waiting for the LTC? and i'm good to go?
Yeah, my first paragraph might be a bit confusing, sorry. You only need to EFA-10 firearms you acquire AFTER you become a MA resident. There is no requirement to register or do EFA-10 on firearms you already own when you move into MA.

Also, see Commonwealth v. Kenneth T. Wood (398 MASS 135). It is important to remember that the exemption to the FID requirement (i.e. non-large capacity rifles and shotguns) applicable to new residents does not allow the new resident to carry the gun, but rather only to possess the same within his home during the 60 day window.

Yeah, my first paragraph might be a bit confusing, sorry. You only need to EFA-10 firearms you acquire AFTER you become a MA resident. There is no requirement to register or do EFA-10 on firearms you already own when you move into MA.

It is still critical to Remember that there is NO mechanism by which a new Massachusetts resident would be able to to possess a large capacity firearm (i.e. within the home) while while waiting for the LTC-A to processed. [see my previous posts in this thread]

It is still critical to Remember that there is NO mechanism by which a new Massachusetts resident would be able to to possess a large capacity firearm (i.e. within the home) while while waiting for the LTC-A to processed. [see my previous posts in this thread]
Although done all the time, you are absolutely correct.

There are work-arounds however that I discuss in my MA Gun Law Seminar but won't discuss in any public forum.

so you bring the large capacity firearms and leave them with a trusted licensed friend in MA until your permit comes in.

so you bring the large capacity firearms and leave them with a trusted licensed friend in MA until your permit comes in.

To reiterate what I said earlier, there is no exception to the requirement which would allow a new resident to possess a large capacity firearm in Massachusetts, even for a brief bit to meet up with somebody to loan it to them.

To reiterate what I said earlier, there is no exception to the requirement which would allow a new resident to possess a large capacity firearm in Massachusetts, even for a brief bit to meet up with somebody to loan it to them.
OK is there a way for MA resident to meet him one foot over the state line and take possession "for sporting purposes only" and then return them to the person in MA or say New Hampshire which would be even better.

OK is there a way for MA resident to meet him one foot over the state line and take possession "for sporting purposes only" and then return them to the person in MA or say New Hampshire which would be even better.
All I'll say is that there are ways to deal with this problem.

Back
Top Bottom