Moving to MA... Do you need to register?

bsaks

NES Life Member
NES Member
A friend is moving to MA from NJ and has a few toys (all MA legal since NJ sucks too).

Will she need to register her toys?

All handguns and she knows about to get 10 rounders and leave anything else behind.

Sounds like no need to register if brought along with during the move.

A friend is moving to MA from NJ and has a few toys (all MA legal since NJ sucks too).

Will she need to register her toys?

No compulsory registrtation of anything on move ins. She just needs to get an LTC-A in whatever town of residence shes moving to, hopefully not one of the dozen or so really, really shitty ones.

-Mike

You only register "change of ownership". Move in with them ownership does not change therefore no registration that we dont call registration.

I thought pre-ban standard cap magazines can be brought in. Is this not the case?

Court has ruled that they can NOT be brought in until the person possesses a LTC. There is a serious disconnect between C. 140 S. 129C(j) and C. 269 S. 10(m), See Comm v. Cornelius 78 Mass App Ct 413 (2010).

This needs to be corrected, but I know that GOAL hasn't filed any bill to address this since the court case.

Court has ruled that they can NOT be brought in until the person possesses a LTC. There is a serious disconnect between C. 140 S. 129C(j) and C. 269 S. 10(m), See Comm v. Cornelius 78 Mass App Ct 413 (2010).

This needs to be corrected, but I know that GOAL hasn't filed any bill to address this since the court case.

Comm v Cornelius makes me want to punch kittens.

Whatever she brings in, they must come with her stuff on "moving day". If she moves to MA then goes back for her toys she'll have to do form FA-10s for each (essentially, register them). So long as she "brings them with her when she moves" state doesn't need to know about them.

There's a 60day grace period. She must lock them in a closet/safe and not touch them until she has her license. Note that it can take longer than 60days to get that license! To speed the process, before I moved to MA I came to MA for a weekend and took the required firearms safety course. That way the day after I moved, when I got my temporary MA driver's license (proof of residency), I could file the license application and get the ball rolling.

Back
Top Bottom