• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to CT from the South. How do I get my firearms through New York state?

I will be moving to CT from the South. Therefore, I have to drive through New York state. How do I get my rifles, shotguns, revolvers, and pistols through New York?

I will not be bringing anything that is illegal in the state of CT, but my understanding is that FOPA is only an affirmative defense in New York. In other words, if I get stopped and searched in New York, I will likely be arrested and have to rely on FOPA to prove my innocence in court. I would prefer not to do that.

Here are the alternatives I have come up with:

1. Ship my firearms to myself via UPS. However, UPS requires handguns to be shipped Next Day Air. My drive is going to be about 22 hours or 3 days for me being encumbered by my wife's bladder. I am afraid of the handguns arriving a couple of days before I do. Question: Could I stop in Pennsylvania and ship them to myself via Next Day Air on my way to CT? I don't know how a UPS center in PA would feel about someone from Alabama (with AL id) shipping handguns to themselves in CT.

2. Box them up and ship them with the moving company along with all my other household goods. (The moving company only prohibits "loaded guns" and ammunition.)

3. Transport them following FOPA to the letter and hope I don't get stopped in New York. I have LTC that is recognized by all the other states I will be traveling through.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Why in god's name would you want to move to CT. from Alabama? Want to swap houses and guns, I'll take yours and you can have mine, I'll even throw in my wife, you can have her, no charge.

#2 is your best bet.
When I moved north,through NY from PSRNJ I packed all the handguns in boxes with pots,pans,books and other boxes marked with anything that would hide what was in there.That was 13 years ago and would do the same again.
Forget about FOPA in NY (and NJ) with handguns(if you doubt me call the NY Sate Troopers as I did).Pack um up, hide them deep in the moving truck,don't stop and flip NY and NJ the bird once you pass through safely.

Just drive through, don't speed, stay on the interstate and don't worry about it. In all honesty, the chances of your being stopped and searched are so remote it's not worth worrying about. I just did it in October moving out west and went through Illinois. No incidents, no tickets.

Just drive through, don't speed, stay on the interstate and don't worry about it. In all honesty, the chances of your being stopped and searched are so remote it's not worth worrying about. I just did it in October moving out west and went through Illinois. No incidents, no tickets.

What if you get plowed into by a drunk driver and it's discovered that you are carrying firearms? Not worth taking the chance IMO. Shit happens to good people.

Why in god's name would you want to move to CT. from Alabama? Want to swap houses and guns, I'll take yours and you can have mine, I'll even throw in my wife, you can have her, no charge.

I know. I should have my head examined. It's a career move.

When I had to move to Ma I just packed all my guns in the very front of the ryder and then piled all the furniture and boxes in after them. No problems. Just obey the rules of the road and be careful. I honestly don't think that you would get into trouble if your firearms were packed away in the truck, locked, and you could not reasonably get to them. It would have taken about two hours to get to mine. I may be totally off base with that, But that's what I did.

When I had to move to Ma I just packed all my guns in the very front of the ryder and then piled all the furniture and boxes in after them. No problems. Just obey the rules of the road and be careful. I honestly don't think that you would get into trouble if your firearms were packed away in the truck, locked, and you could not reasonably get to them. It would have taken about two hours to get to mine. I may be totally off base with that, But that's what I did.

That's a good idea, but my company is paying a moving company to move my stuff. We will be traveling in a car and pickup.

To the OP:

If you choose the above option, dont make the mistake most people do and ride I-95 through NJ. Many people do this and I will NEVER understand it. The proper way to enter/leave New England from the south is to take I-81 up to I-84. This entirely bypasses NJ. Nobody ever needs to touch NJ unless it or maybe Delaware is your final destination (even DE, Id still avoid driving through NJ). Though you end up in NY a bit longer mileage wise crossing the Lower Hudson Valley on I-84, you most likely end up spending less time in unfriendly territory than you would driving NJ turnpike and I-95 through NYC metro area when you factor in traffic. You also go through a more rural area of NY and if in the very small chance you got pulled over and a search was attempted, you are more likely to run into a LEO who will look the other way vs NYC/NJ who will surely arrest you on the spot. From my experience, you are also a bit less likely to get pulled over in NY than NJ.

This is not legal advice nor should any decisions be made based on this. Merely my opinion.

This, 81 to 84. It's a nice scenic ride also.

Where in CT are you going to be moving to? Is it closer to Foxwoods or Mohegan? hehee

I feel everyone's frustration with NJ, my In-laws live in NJ ... enough said.
I would also definitely take 81, just make sure all your lights (Brake, Headlight, turn signals) work and tail lights are not cracked. Don't look suspicious or give the police any reason to search you.

http://www.fletc.gov/training/progr...by-subject/4th-amendment/lockedcontainers.pdf

Do you own a gun safe, or other locking metal cabinet? If so, just lock up all of the firearms in there, and have the moving company load that into the truck first, so it is well concealed, and inaccessible once all of the other household stuff is packed. Since you are not even driving the moving truck, why worry about it at all? If the movers themselves don't have a specific policy prohibiting the transport of firearms, it isn't your issue anyway. If you choose to pack them in your own car, though, that is where things get dicey, but could still be done as long as you take common sense steps to avoid trouble like staying the heck out of NJ at all costs!

You lock stuff up according to FOPA and you "hang low and avoid the radar". Don't stop inside the state at all. Stay on the major highways.

-Mike

I am going to Michigan next week, ad am traveling through New York. I called the State Police Firearms Unit, and the LT I spoke to said that I could transport my guns through the state as long as they were lIckes up, separate from the ammo, and not where they can be accessed. And he said no stopping at all, whatsoever. Otherwise I was told it was fine. I will be taking 5 guns with me to my friends house. He said no issues at all, as long as you obey the law.

What if you get plowed into by a drunk driver and it's discovered that you are carrying firearms? Not worth taking the chance IMO. Shit happens to good people.

What if he gets struck by lightning while he's driving too? [rolleyes]

Pack them up properly, take the suggested route avoiding NJ, and drive through NY without stopping. Follow all the rules of the road and don't stick out.

What if he gets struck by lightning while he's driving too? [rolleyes]

Pack them up properly, take the suggested route avoiding NJ, and drive through NY without stopping. Follow all the rules of the road and don't stick out.

People win million dollar lottos all the time. Car wrecks happen ALOT more often.

You lock stuff up according to FOPA and you "hang low and avoid the radar". Don't stop inside the state at all. Stay on the major highways.

-Mike

It's called "get lost in a crowd of one".

And don't do anything stupid like leave gun paraphernalia visible, or even have a carry permit (from ANY state) visible when you open the wallet in a manner to present you driver's license.

Back
Top Bottom