Moving to CT from Mass...

late08

NES Member
Short and sweet....I might be moving from Mass. to the southern CT area. (Stamford metro).

I have a license to carry in MA. I see that CT is billed as "Reasonable May Issue".

I have read up on the process of obtaining a CCW license in CT..but is there anything I should know that's "inbetween the lines"?

Like in MA some towns will hand out unrestricted LTC's and some will not...is it like that in CT? Am I good all around there as long as there is nothing that makes me an "unsuitable" person.

Any tips would be appreciated...

Thanks for the info! I was reading about the AWB a bit before.

Does anyone know what the suitability clause dictates? Is it just a persons criminal history or lack thereof that makes them suitable? Or is suitability based on "need".

I read somewhere that suitability in CT has a strict definition...I cannot find the post that dealt with it.

CT has an AWB and some guns are banned by name. Just make sure that all your guns are legal there. http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm . There is no mag ban.

There is no restricted/unrestricted. There is a "Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers."

There is no requirement to show need. The application asks for a purpose, for which I put "all legal purposes."

Most everything you need to know is here:

http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?A=2158&Q=294502

Regarding suitability (from that link):

Applicants must be at least 21 years old and be a legal resident of the United States. Persons convicted of a felony or any one of 11 misdemeanor offenses detailed in the statute are ineligible to receive a permit. Persons convicted as a delinquent for the commission of a serious juvenile offense (as defined in section 46b-120); persons discharged from custody within the preceding twenty years after having been found not guilty of a crime by reason of mental disease or defect (pursuant to section 53a-13); persons confined in a hospital for persons with psychiatric disabilities (as defined in section 17a-495), within the preceding 12 months by order of a probate court; persons subject to a restraining or protective order issued by a court in a case involving the use, attempted use or threatened use of physical force against another person; persons subject to a firearms seizure order issued pursuant to C.G.S. 29-38c after notice and hearing; and any person who is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States, are prohibited from obtaining a pistol permit.

The 11 misdemeanor offenses mentioned are those in subsection (c) of 21a-279, section 53a-58, 53a-61, 53a-61a, 53a-62, 53a-63, 53a-96, 53a-175, 53a-176, 53a-178 or 53a-181d, all of which can be looked up here:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/pub/titles.htm

The short titles of them are:

Sec. 21a-279. Penalty for illegal possession
Sec. 53a-58a. Negligent homicide with a motor vehicle
Sec. 53a-61. Assault in the third degree
Sec. 53a-61a. Assault of an elderly, blind, disabled, pregnant or mentally retarded person
Sec. 53a-62. Threatening in the second degree
Sec. 53a-63. Reckless endangerment in the first degree
Sec. 53a-96. Unlawful restraint in the second degree
Sec. 53a-175. Riot in the first degree
Sec. 53a-176. Riot in the second degree
Sec. 53a-178. Inciting to riot
Sec. 53a-181d. Stalking in the second degree

Thanks for the info! I was reading about the AWB a bit before.

Does anyone know what the suitability clause dictates? Is it just a persons criminal history or lack thereof that makes them suitable? Or is suitability based on "need".

I read somewhere that suitability in CT has a strict definition...I cannot find the post that dealt with it.

basically, it is shall issue. if you fit the qualifications, you will be granted the permit.

Just make sure you don't have a Colt AR or any AK rifle that fires 7.62 x 39. Both are banned in CT.

-Mike

Not sure if the process has gotten any better or not, but when I got my CT Pistol Permit 8 years ago when I lived there, it was a longer process and wait than it was when I moved to MA.

come on in the water's fine! Very town PD dependant but once through there, the state app should be a breeze. no restricitions either either you cut the mustard or you don't. if you got one there u should see no prob getting one here. if you know the town you are moving to i'll try and get you the app or at lest the info to get one.

Just make sure you don't have a Colt AR or any AK rifle that fires 7.62 x 39. Both are banned in CT.

-Mike

Just to clear up a few things. The only Colt's banned by name in CT are the "AR15" and "Sporter." So any variation of those markings, ie - "AR15A2" or "Sporter II" are banned as well.

The Colt 6920 and 6921 are marked "Law Enforcement Carbine" and "M4LE" repe4ctively and therefore are not banned by name. In the stock configuration, however, they are banned by features. If you were to render a 6920 or 6921 ban compliant they would be good to go. The entire Match Target line is also GTG in CT.

Colt also had manufactured one preban rifle that is legal for ownership in CT. It is the Colt 6521 marked "Colt Carbine." Roughly 1400-1600 were made for export and 400-600 stayed in the USA.

come on in the water's fine! Very town PD dependant but once through there, the state app should be a breeze. no restricitions either either you cut the mustard or you don't. if you got one there u should see no prob getting one here. if you know the town you are moving to i'll try and get you the app or at lest the info to get one.

Likewise, if I could be of help, just holler. What town are you moving to?

BTW, Kerismo is 110% spot on with his "very town dependent" comment. Stamford is tough, Norwalk is easy, etc etc.

Short and sweet....I might be moving from Mass. to the southern CT area. (Stamford metro).

I have a license to carry in MA. I see that CT is billed as "Reasonable May Issue".

I have read up on the process of obtaining a CCW license in CT..but is there anything I should know that's "inbetween the lines"?

Like in MA some towns will hand out unrestricted LTC's and some will not...is it like that in CT? Am I good all around there as long as there is nothing that makes me an "unsuitable" person.

Any tips would be appreciated...

Don't live in STAMFORD. It's harder to push you paperwork through it, based on my understanding, AND Stamford insists that you get 100% on the NRA class test. That's probably not the biggest deal in the world, as it seems well known and the people who teach the classes make sure the Stamford residents get their 100% scores on that test.

The CT law is such that it seems like it should be a "shall issue" state, but the bureaucracy is not supported enough to really give you the rights of a shall issue state.

The other nearby towns seem to not have many problems getting the temproary permits out and full one's issued.

You can have an own long guns without any need for a permit. Without a permit, you cna buy long guns, but you will go through a two-week waiting period.

Only four permits are issued, a normal concealed carry, a security card, a bail enforcement officer and a combination security guard and bail enforcement officer.

Don't live in STAMFORD. It's harder to push you paperwork through it, based on my understanding, AND Stamford insists that you get 100% on the NRA class test. That's probably not the biggest deal in the world, as it seems well known and the people who teach the classes make sure the Stamford residents get their 100% scores on that test.

The CT law is such that it seems like it should be a "shall issue" state, but the bureaucracy is not supported enough to really give you the rights of a shall issue state.

The other nearby towns seem to not have many problems getting the temproary permits out and full one's issued.

You can have an own long guns without any need for a permit. Without a permit, you cna buy long guns, but you will go through a two-week waiting period.

Only four permits are issued, a normal concealed carry, a security card, a bail enforcement officer and a combination security guard and bail enforcement officer.

Stamford; as I mentioned above, its a tough one. The toughest part is the "wait" for them to appv your app; Ive heard stories of guys waiting 9 months. That, and that there are never any app forms when you stop by the station.

Thank your guys for offering to help. Right now the move is up in the air, but it would be somewhere in south east CT, most likely the Norwalk area.

Would you happen to have the town app handy for Norwalk perhaps?

How easy is easy in Norwalk?

I really appreciate it!

Likewise, if I could be of help, just holler. What town are you moving to?

BTW, Kerismo is 110% spot on with his "very town dependent" comment. Stamford is tough, Norwalk is easy, etc etc.

Thank your guys for offering to help. Right now the move is up in the air, but it would be somewhere in south east CT, most likely the Norwalk area.

Would you happen to have the town app handy for Norwalk perhaps?

How easy is easy in Norwalk?

I really appreciate it!

That'd be Southwest buddy. [smile]

I don't have one, but I walk by the station everyday on my walk home from the train station, I could grap ya one tomorrow.

I didn't get my permit here, but I know some guys who have worked NFA stuff though the COP. They said they had no issues...

Keep in mind, it is still a "city", so it has it's share of inner-city violence. But if you are respectable enough, it seems AOK.

I got word today, pretty std stuff, no surprise. once you get your perm adress drop it off at the desk with $25 app fee and proof of safety course (or other qualifying document), they will finger print etc.

Once you get The Norwalk town permit you can get the temp state one and roll down to the state police barrack in Bridgeport (short ride north I95 exit 27 IIRC) and they can service you for the 70$ state permit.

I does need to be picked up as they will not mail it, so if DU is offering take him up on it.

One thing that is "between the lines" is open carry. The law does not restrict open carry, but in practice, you can't do it. It'll be "disturbing the peace" or the like.

I would also called the DEP. I buddy of mine recently moved from NY where he had permits for all his firearms and the CT state people really made it easy on him, basically showed up at the DEP with his NY permit and they issued him a CT permit. I found it hard to believe, but within a week or 2 of moving he had his CT permit.

I would also called the DEP. I buddy of mine recently moved from NY where he had permits for all his firearms and the CT state people really made it easy on him, basically showed up at the DEP with his NY permit and they issued him a CT permit. I found it hard to believe, but within a week or 2 of moving he had his CT permit.

DEP can't issue CCW permits. Only DPS can.

I think youre thinking Hunting Permit; those are much easier to get.

Sorry about the delay, if you can pick one up for me that would be cool.

Is the application the same for every town?

Just saw this, sorry. I'll try to remember to pop in tomorrow on my walk home.

Once I see the papers they require, I could reply about universal forms.

Back
Top Bottom