• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to Connecticut

I will be moving to CT in two weeks. I have two AR's that I known will need to be modified. I think my Springfield M1A squad scout is OK as is.

I was told I would have 90 days to modify the AR's. Is this correct? Or will I need to do it beforehand.?

If it's just a simple pinning of the buttstock and needing to have a flash suppressor replaced with a permanently mounted comp., just get it done ASAP. I would ship it to a dealer near to where you are moving and just get it done before you move and it will be ready for you to pick up. The 90 day statute is for assault weapons.

Verbatim from the SLFU:

I just moved into Connecticut and I possess an Assault Weapon. May I keep the weapon or if not what are my options?

Within 90 days of moving to Connecticut, you may sell the weapon to any licensed gun dealer, or you must do one of the following;

1) render the weapon permanently inoperable,
2) sell it to an out of state dealer,
3) relinquish the weapon to a law enforcement agency.

If you choose to keep the weapon you risk felony arrest.

I second everything ct supra has said.

Just don't forget about the bayonet lug. Its easy to remove. Just cut it off with a hack saw, dress it nicely with a file, then cold blue it.

What part of the state are you in? I may be able to recommend someone to do the work.

Don

If going the JoJo's route don't walk in there with an assembled Assault Weapon; they are very conservative in how they make sure everything is legal. Call them ahead of time, and if you can't do that then separate/unpin the upper and lower receivers and bring them inside one at a time as "parts"

I can take care of the pinning my self but not in time before the move. In fact I will be heading out as soon as the movers are done in about two hours.

I will be moving to East Lyme.

Sent from my Prism using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Then don't sweat it. Separate the upper and lower.

Bring just the upper to JoJos, its about a 40 minute ride to Southington.
While the upper is at JoJos, pin the lower.

You've got 90 days to make it legal, so no sense in not bringing it.

I'm assuming when you say pinning, you mean pinning the stock.

Don

p.s. What brings you to east lyme. That was a big Pfizer town and everyone is moving OUT of EL as Pfizer continues to bleed jobs from CT. (And expands their presence in Cambridge) I'm sure you got a deal, especially if you bought one of the MANY high end houses left behind by Pfizer people.

I've lived in Essex, about 10 mi away for 21 years, let me know if you need any local info.

You want to join Niantic Sportsmen's, its actually in East Lyme. Decent place. Not as nice as the MA clubs and more money. But still worth it. If you need a sponsor for membership let me know.

Start digging for your NRA Basic Pistol certificate. You'll need it to get your CT resident pistol permit.

Last edited:
I got job at the sub base in Groton and my wife will be teaching at the E Lyme middle school. We both hated Oklahoma so when I got the offer here we took it.

We pulled into town yesterday and are now looking for a place.

Back
Top Bottom