Moving to Connecticut from Massachusetts

AI have LTC-A from MA and am moving to CT soon. I have pistols, glocks, ar15 (preban & preban mags). What should I do to keep all my firearms with me. I still have a few years before MA LTC-A expires. Do I have a time frame how soon I need to register my guns in CT? I will be living around new haven area. Any green towns around there?

Thanks

Last edited:
You're probably going to get screwed on the AR at least at a bare minimum unless there's some weird way to legally bring it in CT is a hundred times worse than Mass outside of the pistol permits.

I have LTC-A from MA and am moving to CT soon. ... I still have a few years before MA LTC-A expires. ...

I think the only way to keep the AR is to get a storage locker in Mass and then eventually a non resident mass license.

"Eventually"?

I'd have replied sooner, but I couldn't find a sticky on-point to refer OP to. Read this whole thread:

Executive summary:

MGL Ch 140, §131(l): ... Any licensee shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued said license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of said license. ...

And there's a form for that.

The fact that your AR15 and magazines are preban is irrelevant in CT. If they weren't registered prior to whatever the cutoff date was, it is impossible to register them now. Same applies to any "high" capacity pistol magazines. You can bring them, but not legally.

Someone from CT can correct me, but I don't think you have to register your pistols or other guns (so long as they don't fit into that "assault" category BS - which again, the registration period has expired).

Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of said license. ...
However, a revocation for failure to file a change of address does not terminate the immunity from criminal prosecution in MA for carry/possession without a license. It's still a civil violation for an expired LTC (not so if the license was revoked for any other reason).

... a revocation for failure to file a change of address does not terminate the immunity from criminal prosecution in MA for carry/possession without a license. It's still a civil violation for an expired LTC (not so if the license was revoked for any other reason).

I concede this absotively.

I didn't feel (very) guilty about the Executive Summary because the nuance is covered in the 2014 thread. And while this issue arises weekly, I actually think the cited thread goes rather deeper than the average answer. I think that in the end of that thread some of the contributors have "agreed to disagree" (even though they may have converged further in the subsequent two years). But the thread nearly achieves sticky-quality.

AI have LTC-A from MA and am moving to CT soon. I have pistols, glocks, ar15 (preban & preban mags). What should I do to keep all my firearms with me. I still have a few years before MA LTC-A expires. Do I have a time frame how soon I need to register my guns in CT? I will be living around new haven area. Any green towns around there?

Thanks

There are some evidently some very critical differences in CT and MA gun laws. I'm pretty well versed in CT gun laws having been a resident of CT for a number of years; my knowledge of MA gun laws comes primarily from this forum.

In CT you don't have to register your firearms.

We were legally required to register our AR-15's previously, but that's no longer an option. You can't bring your AR-15's into the state; it's a felony. You can currently legally purchase "pre-ban" AR-15's in the state of CT. So, if your AR-15's are "pre-ban", (DMCDON knows a lot more about this than I do), then you may be able to do something.

And you need to check your other firearms to make sure that they're not considered "assault" weapons by the state of CT...

You also need to read up on "high capacity magazines" because you can't bring any in; the deadline for registering them has already passed. Simple possession will be a problem for you.

There are three types of "permits", an ammunition, a longarm, and a carry permit.
Ammunition lets you purchase ammunition.
Long-arm lets you purchase longarms and ammunition.
Carry permit lets you carry handgun (concealed or open - although that's another long discussion), purchase handgun, purchase longarm and purchase ammunition. My recommendation is to apply for the carry permit.

Process is to apply through your local police dept for your "temp" permit which is good for 90 days (I think), then apply for your state-issued permit. Once you have your locally issued temp permit, getting the state permit is simple. The difficulty of getting the locally issued temp permit depends somewhat upon the local authority, although there's no such thing as a LTC-A. CT is a "shall issue" state, and they pretty much have to issue you the permit, unless they can show cause why they shouldn't. Some towns will jerk you around more than others, and the process can take several months. Also, you have to take an approved pistol course, and some towns try to tack on their own "special" little requirements such as letters of recommendation. It's your call as to whether you want to jump through their hoops or not.

Here's a useful link to start reading: http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&q=494616

- - - Updated - - -

The fact that your AR15 and magazines are preban is irrelevant in CT. If they weren't registered prior to whatever the cutoff date was, it is impossible to register them now. Same applies to any "high" capacity pistol magazines. You can bring them, but not legally.

Someone from CT can correct me, but I don't think you have to register your pistols or other guns (so long as they don't fit into that "assault" category BS - which again, the registration period has expired).

Correct on all accounts.

Last edited:
Process is to apply through your local police dept for your "temp" permit which is good for 90 days (I think), then apply for your state-issued permit.
As a non-resident, I was able to mail order by CT state permit without first getting a local permit.

But, given CT law, I leave my Glock 23 at home and carry my J frame in that state.

As a non-resident, I was able to mail order by CT state permit without first getting a local permit.

But, given CT law, I leave my Glock 23 at home and carry my J frame in that state.

That's an interesting twist - as a current Mass resident, he could go for a CT non-resident permit. Then move to CT, and convert it to a resident permit. I hadn't thought of that.

As stated you can't bring any AR15 or other assault weapon into CT, unless it is preban. Any mags over 10rds are also forbidden of any type.

Seriously, don't move to CT. It's worse than MA now. There is zero reason to go there, unless you have a high six figure job above $250k.

From a person who was a fourth generation CT family and left because it sucked so bad.

That's an interesting twist - as a current Mass resident, he could go for a CT non-resident permit. Then move to CT, and convert it to a resident permit. I hadn't thought of that.
It the smarter move. Additionally, depending on which town you are moving to, you may find that the non-resident route will have saved time or aggrivation. Most towns are pretty good but some have extra requirements or scheduling processes or have staffing levels that result in slw processing.

I thought "extra requirements" for permits in CT were illegal, and that whatever the license board is called routinely smacks down towns/Chiefs for denying people who won't play along?

There are some evidently some very critical differences in CT and MA gun laws. I'm pretty well versed in CT gun laws having been a resident of CT for a number of years; my knowledge of MA gun laws comes primarily from this forum.

In CT you don't have to register your firearms.

We were legally required to register our AR-15's previously, but that's no longer an option. You can't bring your AR-15's into the state; it's a felony. You can currently legally purchase "pre-ban" AR-15's in the state of CT. So, if your AR-15's are "pre-ban", (DMCDON knows a lot more about this than I do), then you may be able to do something.

And you need to check your other firearms to make sure that they're not considered "assault" weapons by the state of CT...

You also need to read up on "high capacity magazines" because you can't bring any in; the deadline for registering them has already passed. Simple possession will be a problem for you.

There are three types of "permits", an ammunition, a longarm, and a carry permit.
Ammunition lets you purchase ammunition.
Long-arm lets you purchase longarms and ammunition.
Carry permit lets you carry handgun (concealed or open - although that's another long discussion), purchase handgun, purchase longarm and purchase ammunition. My recommendation is to apply for the carry permit.

Process is to apply through your local police dept for your "temp" permit which is good for 90 days (I think), then apply for your state-issued permit. Once you have your locally issued temp permit, getting the state permit is simple. The difficulty of getting the locally issued temp permit depends somewhat upon the local authority, although there's no such thing as a LTC-A. CT is a "shall issue" state, and they pretty much have to issue you the permit, unless they can show cause why they shouldn't. Some towns will jerk you around more than others, and the process can take several months. Also, you have to take an approved pistol course, and some towns try to tack on their own "special" little requirements such as letters of recommendation. It's your call as to whether you want to jump through their hoops or not.

Here's a useful link to start reading: http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&q=494616

- - - Updated - - -

Correct on all accounts.

Thank you very much for the input.

1. I noticed in the list of banned assault rifle, Colt AR 15 was mentioned as it was especially evil. Does that mean preban colt is also banned in CT?

2. When you said preban could be purchased. Does it have to be the existing preban in CT already? If it can be purchased out of state, I could sell mine to a friend and repurchase it through the FFL in CT. But I am hesitating to do that since a preban in MA will be gone for good once it gets transferred out of here. Probably should keep it here:(

Thank you very much for the input.

1. I noticed in the list of banned assault rifle, Colt AR 15 was mentioned as it was especially evil. Does that mean preban colt is also banned in CT?

2. When you said preban could be purchased. Does it have to be the existing preban in CT already? If it can be purchased out of state, I could sell mine to a friend and repurchase it through the FFL in CT. But I am hesitating to do that since a preban in MA will be gone for good once it gets transferred out of here. Probably should keep it here:(

You need to be very careful and check what I'm telling you because I'm not an expert, not an attorney, and the circumstances that you're in are different than the ones that I was in. I didn't go the "pre-ban" route, I bought my AR's before they implemented the laws.

That being said - currently in CT, you cannot buy or sell any "assault weapon", (I'll get back to that in a minute), except -
1) You can transfer/sell one to an FFL who can then sell/transfer it out of state.
2) There are exceptions for LEO, (I'm assuming you're not).
3) It's a "pre-ban"

What the hell is a "pre-ban" "assault weapon"? It's a huge loophole. You can legally purchase a "pre-ban" assault weapon in CT from an FFL, (in fact it has to go through an FFL) today. It's a pre-Clinton-ban assault weapon.... manufactured before 1992(???). This is where you need to fact-check. I didn't go this route. All I know is that they're available, they're legal, and they're pricey because they're market driven. If your AR's meet the definition of "pre-ban", you could figure out a way to sell/transfer them to yourself, or perhaps simply keep them. I can't give you any more/better information - I don't have it. Ping DMCDON, he knows a lot about this and he's familiar with Mass and Connecticut law.

The other thing about the "list". It gives specific models. It's my understanding from friends here in CT who have purchased pre-ban ARs since the new laws, that if a COLT AR-15 is on the list, but a COLT AR-15 SPORTER isn't on the list that the former is banned, the latter isn't. Again, it's an area of law that I didn't explore.

I thought "extra requirements" for permits in CT were illegal, and that whatever the license board is called routinely smacks down towns/Chiefs for denying people who won't play along?

In 2010, the BFPE issued a Declaratory Ruling, based on petition by Jack Goldberg, which was distributed to each issuing authority in the state. In that document, the BFPE describes the underlying issue (that some local issuing authorities were refusing to accept or denying applications which lacked a broad array of documents not identified on the state application). The Board in effect ruled that the intention was for there to be a uniform statewide application but that the issuing authority has authority and an obligation to investigate the suitability of the applicant (specifying the the application process was "not a rubber stamp"). The Board held that an issuing authority should not deny a person for failing to supply/meet broad requests for additional documentation not necessary to determine suitability (some of the things that the Board's Declaratory ruling likened this to were were general letters of recommendation, credit reports, and the like) but that an issuing authority would be within its right to deny an individual based on refusal to supply specific supplementary information necessary to determine suitability (referencing a decision in favor of the West Haven PD which was upheld by the Superior Court regarding an applicant/appellant who refused to supply a letter from a mental health counselor whom he had been seeing for stress management during a period when he was disabled from work due to stress). The Board held that requests for necessary supplementary information could be made either at the time of application or later on in the process.

The risk with not supplying additional information requested by an issuing authority is that they may deny the application. If an application is denied, a BFPE hearing can be as far as two years out. (Right now, BFPE has cases scheduled through January 2018).

You need to be very careful and check what I'm telling you because I'm not an expert, not an attorney, and the circumstances that you're in are different than the ones that I was in. I didn't go the "pre-ban" route, I bought my AR's before they implemented the laws.

That being said - currently in CT, you cannot buy or sell any "assault weapon", (I'll get back to that in a minute), except -
1) You can transfer/sell one to an FFL who can then sell/transfer it out of state.
2) There are exceptions for LEO, (I'm assuming you're not).
3) It's a "pre-ban"

What the hell is a "pre-ban" "assault weapon"? It's a huge loophole. You can legally purchase a "pre-ban" assault weapon in CT from an FFL, (in fact it has to go through an FFL) today. It's a pre-Clinton-ban assault weapon.... manufactured before 1992(???). This is where you need to fact-check. I didn't go this route. All I know is that they're available, they're legal, and they're pricey because they're market driven. If your AR's meet the definition of "pre-ban", you could figure out a way to sell/transfer them to yourself, or perhaps simply keep them. I can't give you any more/better information - I don't have it. Ping DMCDON, he knows a lot about this and he's familiar with Mass and Connecticut law.

The other thing about the "list". It gives specific models. It's my understanding from friends here in CT who have purchased pre-ban ARs since the new laws, that if a COLT AR-15 is on the list, but a COLT AR-15 SPORTER isn't on the list that the former is banned, the latter isn't. Again, it's an area of law that I didn't explore.

DESPP-SLFU seems to have been functionally treating all assault weapons made before 13 September 1994 as being subject to the preban exemption codified in 53-202i. That's why in Connecticut gun shops you will find things like Colt AR-15 and Norinco MAK-90 rifles offered for sale to the public. (Both are on the banned by name list- Colt AR-15 is named specifically, MAK-90 covered under the AK-47 type umbrella)

During the previous assault weapons ban, DESPP-SLFU eventually ended up advising people that the Colt AR-15 Sporter II was a distinguishable model from the Colt AR-15 Sporter, which was banned by name. That was a surprise and change in position when it happened.

Personally I won't buy a banned by name preban, because I disagree with how DESPP-SLFU chose to interpret the preban exemption.

CT is a "shall issue" state, and they pretty much have to issue you the permit, unless they can show cause why they shouldn't

This should be clarified a little. Most Connecticut police chiefs are effectively shall issue. However, they can deny a permit based on (1) statutory disqualification, (2) knowledge or belief that the applicant will use a pistol unlawfully or (3) suitability. Per the 2010 Declaratory Ruling, there are a lot of factors that can go into suitability (e.g. criminal activity, association with persons engaged in criminal activity, drug use, psychological/mental health history, prior conduct as a permit holder, etc...)

The issuing authority DOES NOT need to prove that an individual is unsuitable in order to deny that person. Rather, once the issuing authority denies that applicant, the applicant can appeal that decision. [Some issuing authorities will provide applicants with very vague reasons while others give more detailed explanations, which is what BFPE encourages] At the appeal, the burden is on the issuing authority to prove that the applicant is not suitable. (half of the board members in attendance +1 are needed for this). The aggrieved side (issuing authority or applicant/appellant as the case may be) has the ability to appeal the decision to the Superior Court. In cases involving an appeal of a Civil Administrative finding, the bar to overturn is set fairly high.

Last edited:
To the OP. PM me with your phone number and we can talk. I can go through all the details. Here are the hilights.

1. 99% of all preban ARs and AKs are not considered to be assault weapons. (AWs)
  2. No go on any and all high caps. They needed to have been registered by 1/1/2014.
  3. No license is needed to possess any firearm in CT.
  4. Pistol permit is necessary for purchase, transport within CT and carry. Not possession.
  5. Any handgun is legal provided it is not considered to be an AW. The AWB of 2013 made most semi-auto handguns with threaded barrels AWs.
  6. No license is required to do anything with a rifle. Once you move here you can do whatever you want wtih any legal long gun you own. Handguns require a PP to transport or carry.
  7. CT law is very specific about alcohol and guns. Your BAC must be below .1% to legally carry a loaded firearm. The key words are "loaded" and "carry". Implicit in that is:
    1. There is no BAC limit for transporting a firearm
    2. There is no BAC limit for carrying an unloaded firearm.
    3. If you are out and decide to have a drink you can make yourself legal by either unloading or placing the loaded or unloaded firearm in your trunk.

I've got to go get my kids at school. More later. I can also provide citations.

Don

p.s. one more - no prohibition on firearms in colleges. Only primary and secondary schools.

To the OP. PM me with your phone number and we can talk. I can go through all the details. Here are the hilights.

1. 99% of all preban ARs and AKs are not considered to be assault weapons. (AWs)
  2. No go on any and all high caps. They needed to have been registered by 1/1/2014.
  3. No license is needed to possess any firearm in CT.
  4. Pistol permit is necessary for purchase, transport within CT and carry. Not possession.
  5. Any handgun is legal provided it is not considered to be an AW. The AWB of 2013 made most semi-auto handguns with threaded barrels AWs.
  6. No license is required to do anything with a rifle. Once you move here you can do whatever you want wtih any legal long gun you own. Handguns require a PP to transport or carry.
  7. CT law is very specific about alcohol and guns. Your BAC must be below .1% to legally carry a loaded firearm. The key words are "loaded" and "carry". Implicit in that is:
    1. There is no BAC limit for transporting a firearm
    2. There is no BAC limit for carrying an unloaded firearm.
    3. If you are out and decide to have a drink you can make yourself legal by either unloading or placing the loaded or unloaded firearm in your trunk.

I've got to go get my kids at school. More later. I can also provide citations.

Don

p.s. one more - no prohibition on firearms in colleges. Only primary and secondary schools.

Some clarifications.

1. "Prebans" are assault weapons but are exempt from registration requirement and the transfer prohibition generally associated with assault weapons. This is an important consideration for several reasons.

4. (In addition to everything Don wrote) Pistol/Revolver purchase can also be conducted on an Eligibility Certificate(for pistols/revolvers, distinguishable from the Eligibility Certificate for long guns)- though transport is highly restricted if you don't have a permit to carry (i.e. a person without a permit to carry can only transport or carry a pistol in a specified manner from place of purchase to place of residence or business, for repair, when moving from one residence to another, and other circumstances tightly regulated under the exemption section associated with 29-35)

7. .1% is the per se standard. 53-206d also provides that an individual is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm while intoxicated if they are intoxicated without regard for BAC. Moreover, either subsection section of 53-206d can include intoxication by drugs other than alcohol as well. It is also important to remember that subsection (b) of that statute makes it an even more serious crime to hunt while intoxicated. (That is an A Misdemeanor rather then a B Misdemeanor)

MORE IMPORTANTLY, EFFECTIVE 1 OCT 2016, THE PER SE STANDARD WILL BECOME .08%. (Reference CT PA 16-152)

Regarding Don's college remark- There is not a specific statute regarding carry on college campuses. However, carrying in a location where carry is prohibited by law or policy is an E felony punishable with (what is effectively) a mandatory minimum 2 year term of incarceration.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ongoing explanations jAD.

One thing re college carry. The relevant statute is this:

(e) The issuance of any permit to carry a pistol or revolver does not thereby authorize the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver in any premises where the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the person who owns or exercises control over such premises.

Implicit in this is the fact that any property owner or "controller" has the responsibility to inform those entering of any prohibitions on firearms. No notification, no crime.

Re primary and secondary schools, here is a link to the CGS:
https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_952.htm#sec_53a-217b

CT is very reasonable when it comes to application of this law. Jury instructions for this offense say that the person must have 1) known it was illegal to bring a firearm on school grounds AND 2) they must have known they had a gun with them, for the jury to find them guilty.

In other words no malice, no crime. Surprise a bit of common sense
http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/Part8/8.2-10.htm

Re the term Pre-Ban. I should have been more specific. CT put in place its original AWB in 1994. It was modeled after the federal ban, however there was some case law as well as some revisions to the statute that resulted in some slightly different meanings than the federal ban. Two examples of this are

1) Case law that interpreted "Avtomat Kalashnikov Type" to mean a rifle that had a bolt and carrier that would interchange with a true AK47. This meant that any AK variant that was chambered in something other than 7.62 x 39 was legal provided it did not have too many of the evil features.
2) The DPS (state police) issued a letter stating that unless the name of the firearm was EXACTLY the same as the name in the law, it was not banned by name. A common example is that the Colt "sporter" was banned by name. But the HBar Sporter was not. (or some variation of that name)

Fun stuff eh.

Well since the secone AWB of 2013, known as PA13-3 changed all of that, why is this relevant? Because any firearm that was not named but had AW features that was made before the 94 ban, is not considered an AW by the 2013 ban. Crystal clear huh?

And finally, here is a link to the statute on exceptions to the prohibition on doing just about anything with a handgun without a "License to Carry Pistols and Revolvers". a/k/a Pistol permit.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_529.htm#sec_29-35

I"m always surprised when I reread that law. There are exemptions for formal competitions and formal training.
It would be interesting to see this tested by a resident of CT.

Jad mentions the eligibility certificate as a way to buy back your right to keep and bear handguns. While this is correct (He writes like an attorney, so I suspect he knows more about this than I do) It is not practically ever done because the Eligibility Certificate has all the same training requirments and costs the same as a Pistol Permit, almost none are ever issued. Back in the bad old days, when towns refused to issue pistol permits, getting an eligibility certificate via a purely state process was a back end way to get access to handguns. But that is not necessary anymore.

Don

Last edited:
Wow there was a lot of bad info in the first few pages of this thread.

To the OP: listen to Don, he's on point and backs it up with citations.

Re primary and secondary schools, here is a link to the CGS:
https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/c...m#sec_53a-217b

CT is very reasonable when it comes to application of this law. Jury instructions for this offense say that the person must have 1) known it was illegal to bring a firearm on school grounds AND 2) they must have known they had a gun with them, for the jury to find them guilty.

In other words no malice, no crime. Surprise a bit of common sense
http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/Part8/8.2-10.htm

That's not quite what jury instructions say.

The element of the crime that you referring to is that which requires the perpetrator to have acted with knowledge- specifically "knowing that such person is not licensed or privileged to do." In relevant excerpt from the jury instructions, this means
he phrase "license or privilege" means having been given permission or right to do so. A person acts "knowingly" with respect to conduct or to a circumstance when (he/she) is aware that (his/her) conduct is of such nature or that such circumstance exists.

Back
Top Bottom