Moving to Cambridge -- Hire an Attorney for LTC?

Hey, I am wondering how this all played out.
I have lived in Cambridge for 5 years and have recently applied for an unrestricted LTC. I should be hearing back in a couple of weeks.
I'm am optimistic since I have absolutely nothing that would discount my application, but who the hell knows how it will go.

Has anything changed in Cambridge with unrestricted LTC's? I doubt it but figured I'd ask since my friend/client is looking to apply in Cambridge. She doesn't care if it's restricted (lame I know) but figured I would look into how she could have a better chance at getting it unrestricted.

Cambridge is a bit of a hassle, but manageable I guess (for me at least). I applied for LTC A unrestricted when I was 21. Wrote a letter to the sheriff and had to get two letters of recommendation... Yes, letters of recommendation. They wanted a utility bill of as well.

I waited a little over 8 weeks for my LTC. I had to call the PD and clerk told me they had it. It was sitting on a desk for days apparently, no heads up or call from them. On top of that it was restricted. I guess I got lucky though because I've heard of first time applicants getting straight up denied. Take from that what you will and good luck.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I'm moving to Cambridge from Dallas at the end of this month for work -- I realize I'm giving up a lot of freedom by doing so (especially moving to a red city), but there's nothing for it... I've looked at the LTC application process, and feel like I have a pretty good handle on the outlines of it, but it seems like there's a lot that's arbitrary or up to the issuing authority. Cambridge requires letters of reference and a letter to the Deputy giving reasons why you want a license. I don't have any criminal history, so I don't anticipate any legal blockages; I'd just like to maximize my chances of getting an unrestricted license. Would it be worth it to pro-actively hire an attorney to assist with the paperwork and supporting documentation?

I hope you have off street parking.

Besides the gun issue, you will be dealing with:
1. You need a parking sticker.
2. Once you have the sticker, good luck finding a parking spot.
3. Once you find a parking spot, you better move it before they clean the street once per week usually around 6am.
4. Snow? ... good luck with that. If your street doesn't shut down parking during snow storms, it will be very hard to shovel your car out and then you might have to clean a new spot when you come home at night.
5. Rush hour. Expect to spend 40min to 1 hour driving to drive 4 miles. Not exaggerating.
6. Are you traveling? You better leave your car in a street with no street cleaning, or a parking garage that will cost at least $30-40/day. It is a nice way to add $400 to your 10 day vacation.

Bass Pro, Cabelas, Walmart, Gun Stores, JC Penney, any big box store...have fun driving at least 30-40 minutes out of the city. I believe there are two Macy's, one in Boston and one in Cambridge. That's it.

The closest Walmart will be North of Boston. From the Harvard area, it will take you roughly 40 minutes to get there with regular traffic.

So, it isn't just gun licenses, living in the city is a major PITA.

And I didn't include neighbors, can't turn around without hitting someone.
RATS. RATS. RATS. Huge RATS running everywhere. Get your air rifle, you can have some fun...wait...cant have that outside, liberals will call the cops and killing rats is inhumane.

I'm not being negative, just pointing out what your co-workers won't tell you.

Positive: Bars and restaurants and chicks. Lots of chicks around Harvard yard. Most of them stuck up college communists and Asians. But there are chicks.

Last edited:
Welcome to Mass. Despite our stupid, ass backwards firearms rules, it's a pretty great place to live.

...but seriously, Cambridge is a shit-hole I avoid like the plague.

3. Once you find a parking spot, you better move it before they clean the street once per week usually around 6am.
4. Snow? ... good luck with that. If your street doesn't shut down parking during snow storms, it will be very hard to shovel your car out and then you might have to clean a new spot when you come home at night.
5. Rush hour. Expect to spend 40min to 1 hour driving to drive 4 miles. Not exaggerating.
6. Are you traveling? You better leave your car in a street with no street cleaning, or a parking garage that will cost at least $30-40/day. It is a nice way to add $400 to your 10 day vacation.

Bass Pro, Cabelas, Walmart, Gun Stores, JC Penney, any big box store...have fun driving at least 30-40 minutes out of the city. I believe there are two Macy's, one in Boston and one in Cambridge. That's it.

The closest Walmart will be North of Boston. From the Harvard area, it will take you roughly 40 minutes to get there with regular traffic.

RATS. RATS. RATS. Huge RATS running everywhere. Get your air rifle, you can have some fun...wait...cant have that outside, liberals will call the cops and killing rats is inhumane.

Positive: Bars and restaurants and chicks. Lots of chicks around Harvard yard. Most of them stuck up college communists and Asians. But there are chicks.

1-4 are why I made it about 2 years in Somerville before I bought a 5+ car driveway (with house attached). [rofl]

You know its bad when all the life long residents of a street are telling you to not bother clearing a spot because "someone will just steal it". Turns out 50+% of the time the person telling me must have been named "someone".

I was born and raised in the People's Republic. Cambridge used to have a great gun shop / sporting goods store -- Roach's Sporting Goods in Porter Square. Bought several guns there back in the 80s.
Roach's survived for years despite all the whining about "a horrible gun shop in our neighborhood". It was a real oasis for those of us who grew up in Cambridge and remembered the days before all the moonbats descended on the city.

Somerville has a new Chief that seems pretty 2A friendly. I'm up for renewal in November... fingers crossed
I've been LTC-A no restrictions since '93.
most recent feedback i have seen is that renewals if green will stay that way if you have-not lived in city that long you may get restricted

I was born and raised in the People's Republic. Cambridge used to have a great gun shop / sporting goods store -- Roach's Sporting Goods in Porter Square. Bought several guns there back in the 80s.
Roach's survived for years despite all the whining about "a horrible gun shop in our neighborhood". It was a real oasis for those of us who grew up in Cambridge and remembered the days before all the moonbats descended on the city.

I was born and raised in Cambridge I remember going to Roach's quite a few times; I drive by their old space regularly its still empty

Huh, I've lived in Cambridge for the past 8 years and didn't realize it was such a pitiful shithole.
Thanks for letting me know. [rolleyes]

You left out how shitty the MBTA is

You left out how shitty the MBTA is

Ah, that. Yes. Breaking down all the time. It is OK during a snowstorm, but then it remains broken for weeks.

My favorite is when it breaks only because it is cold. NO snow, no storms, no ice...it is just cold.

You completely (purposefully for dramatic effect?) ignored Target, which is better than Walmart and there are like 4 within 3 miles of Cambridge.

Yah, worked in Cambridge for 10 years and I'm telling you from experience they are tools. Yes, I'm generalizing but seriously mostly a--holes. So no wonder it's a red city. Liberal rump swabbing,anti gun, we know what's good for you, no good Harvard elitist. Not that I have an opinion on them but it's true! Arlington is nice though. Nice people nice area good schools can't go wrong there.

Did I mention how much the people there suck. Lol

I am from there, and I disagree .

You completely (purposefully for dramatic effect?) ignored Target, which is better than Walmart and there are like 4 within 3 miles of Cambridge.

There's a Target IN Central Square now and several within a 5 minute bus ride in Boston, Watertown, Somerville, etc. You suburban people don't realize how connected the bus routes are and how close & fast everything is on the MBTA outside the cluster**** world of rush hour subway service. Fire up a transit or nextbus app and you'll notice it's possible to get around a huge chunk of the metro Boston area in ~20 minutes taking the frequent bus routes.

Looks like we have a pissed off Cambridge resident.
I can't think of every single store out there. But you are right, there are a few Target. And you are wrong, it isn't better than Walmart. Deal with it.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a Target IN Central Square now and several within a 5 minute bus ride in Boston, Watertown, Somerville, etc. You suburban people don't realize how connected the bus routes are and how close & fast everything is on the MBTA outside the cluster**** world of rush hour subway service. Fire up a transit or nextbus app and you'll notice it's possible to get around a huge chunk of the metro Boston area in ~20 minutes taking the frequent bus routes.

Some people don't want to spend time waiting for and riding on public transportation and then spend more time coming back, but this time with a bunch of bags.
I live in the city ( I will move back out next year) and I will never go shopping taking a bus.

Based on your neg rep, I will assume you live in Cambridge.

Last edited:
That's great if you only buy stuff a couple of small items.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

I can't think of every single store out there. But you are right, there are a few Target. And you are wrong, it isn't better than Walmart. Deal with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Some people don't want to spend time waiting for and riding on public transportation and then spend more time coming back, but this time with a bunch of bags.
I live in the city ( I will move back out next year) and I will never go shopping taking a bus.

Based on your neg rep, I will assume you live in Cambridge.
I am with you. I hated living in Somerville, just wasn't the place for me. My sister and BIL live in Boston, don't have a car and love it (Uber libs). The only thing I miss from living down there was a convenient Costco.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I am with you. I hated living in Somerville, just wasn't the place for me. My sister and BIL live in Boston, don't have a car and love it (Uber libs). The only thing I miss from living down there was a convenient Costco.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If you don't own a car, it can be OK. But, at least for me, not owning a car is not an option. I like to spend the weekends hiking in NH, go to the gun range, go to stores other than Target...
And have the freedom to work in any town if the company in st decides go fire everyone or I want to leave.

I don't live in Cambridge, I'm just confused why people here like to post inaccurate statements to trump up their argument. "There's no big box stores around" when there are plenty of shopping complexes if that's your thing.

I don't live in Cambridge, I'm just confused why people here like to post inaccurate statements to trump up their argument. "There's no big box stores around" when there are plenty of shopping complexes if that's your thing.

The stores that I mentioned...not around.

One Macy's, is hard to access, good luck driving to DT crossing, or have fun waiting for the T, or maybe a bus plus the T. The other is not in a bad spot, at least there is parking, but if you are driving from the Allston area, you better don't go around 5pm.

Assembly Row has a bunch of stores as well...good luck driving through Sommerville in less than 30 minutes and without almost hitting 10 people and a few cars.

Now, maybe whatever store you enjoy going to is right here, good for you. The point of my post was: do your research, dong relly just on a dot on a map that says everything is fairly close, because in Boston, being 3-4 miles away could mean a 40 minute drive.

Holy necrothread!
There seem to be even more Cambridge experts here than Boston experts!

The Target in South Bay Plaza has, at any one time, one or more people of any group you can think of. On this weekend, where college arrivals, "move in" and Labor Day weekend coincide it's particularly busy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom