• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to Cambridge -- Hire an Attorney for LTC?

Hello all,

I'm moving to Cambridge from Dallas at the end of this month for work -- I realize I'm giving up a lot of freedom by doing so (especially moving to a red city), but there's nothing for it... I've looked at the LTC application process, and feel like I have a pretty good handle on the outlines of it, but it seems like there's a lot that's arbitrary or up to the issuing authority. Cambridge requires letters of reference and a letter to the Deputy giving reasons why you want a license. I don't have any criminal history, so I don't anticipate any legal blockages; I'd just like to maximize my chances of getting an unrestricted license. Would it be worth it to pro-actively hire an attorney to assist with the paperwork and supporting documentation?

honestly, i think your best bet would be to move to an easier more 2a friendly, local town. you're already coming from texas, i mean whats a couple miles in the right direction if it means less trouble in your 2a endeavors not to mention a few dollars saved which you can spend buying ridiculously overpriced pre-ma awe items lol. and if possible, don't come to mass at all!!!hahaha

I'm from western ma, so perhaps someone local could suggest a green town close by.

Unless it is cast in concrete due to circumstances beyond your control, don't move to Cambridge. If you can get a Mass unrestricted LTC you will have greater leeway in where you can carry than with your TX CCW permit. Check the sticky as to which towns near Cambridge are Green and move accordingly. I hope your decision is not influenced by romantic considerations.

Hello all,

I'm moving to Cambridge from Dallas at the end of this month for work -- I realize I'm giving up a lot of freedom by doing so (especially moving to a red city), but there's nothing for it... I've looked at the LTC application process, and feel like I have a pretty good handle on the outlines of it, but it seems like there's a lot that's arbitrary or up to the issuing authority. Cambridge requires letters of reference and a letter to the Deputy giving reasons why you want a license. I don't have any criminal history, so I don't anticipate any legal blockages; I'd just like to maximize my chances of getting an unrestricted license. Would it be worth it to pro-actively hire an attorney to assist with the paperwork and supporting documentation?

Don't move to Cambridge, move to a green city/town near Cambridge.

Move to a green town, the suggestion of Arlington was a good one. Also, parking in Cambridge sucks.

I play hockey with an atty in Cambridge with a LCF. I'll talk to him next week. Join GOAL in the interim.

But a lot of people do choose to live in the immediately adjacent towns of Arlington, Belmont and Somerville, if they are renting. Or not. For example if you were at Kendall Square or MIT or Harvard the Red Line subway runs right by and proximity to a station would often trump proximity.

If you make residence in a green town and apply for your license, (assuming you get your license).

Then when you move (to Cambridge, perhaps) you get to take your license with you and it's valid with the conditions or freedoms as issued by the green town.

So if you move into a cheap apartment and ""intend to make it your home" for say 4 or 6 months while you're looking for another place.

I don't know if it is helpful or not in your situation. Just sayin'

Last edited:
Yah, worked in Cambridge for 10 years and I'm telling you from experience they are tools. Yes, I'm generalizing but seriously mostly a--holes. So no wonder it's a red city. Liberal rump swabbing,anti gun, we know what's good for you, no good Harvard elitist. Not that I have an opinion on them but it's true! Arlington is nice though. Nice people nice area good schools can't go wrong there.

Did I mention how much the people there suck. Lol

Last edited:
Look towards Arlington, Melrose, Lexington for the three closest green towns (that are worth living in). Although, I thought I saw somewhere that Lexington was going the way of the dumbass and restricting......hopefully someone can chime in.

Hello all,

Hiring an attorney will make a difference.

Unfortunately, it will be in your bank account. The license will be exactly the same. Not going to fight the system and win in Cambridge.

Two choices: move to Cambridge and get a License To Carry that does not allow you to carry (a MA special), or move to a different town, save money on rent, save on stress and get a real LTC.

You get to choose one of the two... an attorney does not magically create a third choice.

Here are some numbers from Comm2A's website regarding Cambridge licenses issued during 2012-2013...
LTC-A unrestricted: 335
LTC-A restricted: 151
So approx 68.9% of LTC-As were issued without restrictions.

http://comm2a.org/index.php/8-home/...&utm_campaign=Town+Licensing&utm_medium=email

And how many of the unrestricted are new applications... and how many of the unrestricted are special (rich or politically connected) people?

EDIT:

Total MA Licenses issued in 2012-2013: 194,975 out of about 6.7 Mill people - 2.91%
Cambridge Licenses issued in 2012-2013: 565 out of about 108 thousand - 0.52%

A haven for firearms owners, indeed.

Can anybody find the interview with the lady who is the licensing officer where she went on and on about how she must be able to decide who carries, etc.?

EDIT: +1 to Quiet for being kind enough to point out that my numbers are too low to be correct. He is right - I used a mix of licenses issued in 2013 for the state and 2012-2013 for the town instead of the totals. I will correct the numbers and correct the description.

Original source:

http://www.comm2a.org/index.php/8-home/197-licensing

Last edited:
And how many of the unrestricted are new applications... and how many of the unrestricted are special (rich or politically connected) people?

You may be on to something. I moved into Cambridge for work in the early 90's with LTC ALP and left after renewals from Cambridge without restrictions. Friends applying there for their first time got restricted.

No direct way to tell, however, it is worth noting that Brookline (perhaps the worst in the state - a department that prides itself on issuing restricted licenses, and requires applicants to sign a document "willingly accepting" the restriction) is 33% unrestricted, which means 33% police, retired police, or connected applicant.

I live in Cambridge, I have an unrestricted Class A LTC.

Despite Cambridge's "bad" reputation; all my interactions with Deputy DeFrancesco's office have been reasonable and helpful.

You've done your homework and appear to have a good understanding of the process. If you have a (squeaky) clean record, a history of responsible firearms ownership and write a reasonable letter of introduction, you should have no trouble.

The only advice I could give (that may make a difference) would be to join a local gun club.

Hiring an attorney is unnecessary unless you are denied or run into a problem along the way.

Feel free to pm me with any specific questions you may have.

Last edited:
I would look into the 'burbs' North of Boston. Wakefield, and others are Green and far quieter than the People's Republic. I grew up in the North Shore and wouldn't recommend ANYONE live that close to Boston.

Somerville has a new Chief that seems pretty 2A friendly. I'm up for renewal in November... fingers crossed
I've been LTC-A no restrictions since '93.

Self selection bias as in, people who understand firearms laws and the Cambridge PD do not move to Cambridge if they want to legally carry.

Ha,
i was thinking about self selecting in applying but your point is valid too.
Like mistere, I did apply for and got an unrestricted LTC while living in Cambridge. Not "connected" in any way but wrote what I felt was a compelling letter to the CoP.
It can happen, but as the data show (and probably underestimate) that there is risk of license restriction.

Thanks, all, for the input.

Thanks in in particular to mistere and doctorbossman for the data. As I've already signed a lease, it's too late to follow the lions-share of suggestions and avoid Cambridge. But, it looks like it's not impossible to get an unrestricted ltc there. I guess I'll just have to throw the dice and see.

Thanks, all, for the input.

Thanks in in particular to mistere and doctorbossman for the data. As I've already signed a lease, it's too late to follow the lions-share of suggestions and avoid Cambridge. But, it looks like it's not impossible to get an unrestricted ltc there. I guess I'll just have to throw the dice and see.

Gambler, eh? Unsuitable.

Gambler, eh? Unsuitable.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Quiet again.

and ffxtian... seriously, the time to ask those questions is before signing a lease. You will live in Cambridge and learn from it. Hope it is a short term lease.

Best of luck in the People's Republic of Cambridge.

If present me would have met past me, back in New-Mexico, when past me said "we will move to MA so we can be closer to family", then, present me would have beat past me with a Genoa salami until loss of conscious.

Fast forward to YOUR future, stay out of Cambridge. Distances between towns here are only a few steps at times, but world of difference is freedoms. List of towns was already provided by the good people of this community.

Good Luck,
and no matter how good the job is, you'll be sorry for this. Unless of course, you are a flaming gun-grabbing, Obama-Biden 2008 sticker flashing, Ready for Hillary, Islam is a religion of peace liberal, in that case, you are coming to a unicorn heaven.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom