• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to California

When you get to Ca. turn right and continue north to Washington State. Very gun friendly ,out side of the Seattle area.
I love living on the Olympic Peninsula . NO traffic jams,good people,nice weather,no problems.

.........................Jack
Yeah, but they count the ballots in the governors race three times until the D winds, then stop counting.

Last edited:
On the bright side, you could own as many gen 4 glock at a non mass price.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

Good luck with the move. I lived in Orange County and inland empire for 8 years. Went to college there. Went shooting to an outdoor range in Azusa often.

Some observation.

Traffic sucks.
No Mosquitos
Gangs are a real thing there
Ocean in Huntington Beach, Laguna and Newport Beach as cold as southern Maine.
great place to own a motorcycle.
Homes way more expensive than here...granted I live in wmass.
lived in Laguna Nigel and Alison Viejo....but never moved. Got a letter in the mail stating a town started over night. Ps...taxes went up significantly.
did I mention no Mosquitos?

NES,

Thanks for all the advice. Here is some more info and answers to some questions.

Ill be headed to the SF bay area, in the tech land, (mountain view / palo alto )I have an offer from a great company you have all heard of.
The money is crazy good. I have about a week left before I have to decide on the final details.
I dont have much stuff so moving should be easy in terms of volume of stuff.

I have been liquidating, so check the classifieds.

I don't plan on staying forever, but working here for 3-5 years and I could be set up for life.

I really appreciate all the tips, and will be getting on calguns.com asap

Keep it coming.
Thanks NES

~botticelli

Ill be headed to the SF bay area, in the tech land, (mountain view / palo alto )I have an offer from a great company you have all heard of.
The money is crazy good. I have about a week left before I have to decide on the final details.

I hope you're clearing at least 150K (or will be in the near future) otherwise the money is not crazy good, when you factor in cost of living and all the tax rape from CA. Also, "the cheap houses" in east palo alto go for like 700 grand. And there's bullets flying around and shit on that side of the highway, so not really a good place to live unless you're a naive hipster or something. Course this all sucks less if you're just renting.... at least if you rent in like Belmont, San Carlos, or Redwood City... the weather will be ****ing incredible and eating and drinking opportunities unparalleled.

BTW you can pretty much forget about shooting. The nearest outdoor place is like 40 minutes away and its a major league fudd land. I have a close friend of mine who is a gun owner there and he maybe goes like 2-3 times a year because facilities are terrible compared to what we have here. Of course if you get to know some locals better (or hang out on calguns) im sure there are some solutions to this problem. Frankly if I had to live out there I'd figure out how to get vacation property (or some storage) in nevada and just keep (most of) my guns there.

I like visiting CA but I would never fuggin live there unless someone was giving me a stupid amount of money for a limited time to do so, or I was wealthy and I could have a 3rd house there. Then it would be worth it to live there while the weather sucks everywhere else. [rofl]

-Mike

Last edited:
I will be renting in CA, I don't plan on buying anything, property wise.
The money is good, from day one it is an over 150K position.

The job is in Freemont, any one else have some suggestions on where to rent / live?

I an realizing that I will probably have to give up / limited shooting life.
I currently enjoy Harvard Sportsmen ~3-5 times a month year round. More in the fall and spring, less in summer winter/
Good to know something comparable is probably considered fantasy land. (What I suspected)

I have family that are shooters in NH and will probably just end up "storing" everything there and not deal with guns in California at all.
It sucks but you really cant bring anything any way, there more I research the more crap they don't let you have.
I have no intention of selling all my guns.

Is there DMV worse than ours too? Anyone been through this with insurance and all the BS that goes along with it?
Considering leaving the car behind and only taking the motorcycle and the pedal bicycles.

Ideas?

Thanks,

I grew up in that area..

Renting is difficult right now,and the area you are thinking of moving to (Palo Alto,Cupertino etc)is very expensive.I was paying $1300 a month for a studio in San Mateo which is across the bay from Fremont,I worked in Hayward..After driving around in Fremont you will most likely NOT want to live there,or really anywhere in the East Bay which is Fremont,Hayward,San Leandro,Oakland,Berkely etc..But,the East Bay is somewhat affordable...Traffic on 880 is worse than 101 though.

Traffic on 101 is insane,nothing in New England can prepare you for that.

if you want to live in a decent neighborhood and feel safe,expect to pay..there are some really bad parts of San Jose,Oakland,Hayward etc..lots of Asian and Mexican gangs.

Insurance is a lot better than MA,it's not regulated.So if you are a good driver and live outside the city it's cheaper than MA in most cases.

Plenty of national forest land to shoot it,I never even belonged to a club until I moved to MA...But,driving to the forest is a couple hour drive from your area.

My suggestions on where to live would be San Leandro,still somewhat affordable IF you can find a place to rent.It's about maybe 25 miles to Fremont,maybe less.

Just remember,there are a lot of gangs around and if you find a cheap place to rent,it's probably for a good reason.

California geographically is probably the most beautiful state in the country.I have backpacked,camped and driven all over the state and there are still millions of things I want to see there.

Last edited:

The money may be crazy good, but real estate costs are beyond crazy, and as a result it may not keep up with the cost of living. They are just downright insane.

About 10 years ago, a friend of mine who lives in Sunnyvale told me about a colleague's travails. This colleague had been looking for a house in Silicon Valley for more than a year. He had bid on three houses and been outbid three times. He saw a house the day it came on the market. He didn't like it that much, but he just wanted to get a house, so he bid $800k for the house. It was listed at $650k. He didn't get it. He was outbid. The next day, he walked in, threw his badge on his desk, and quit.

We live in a three bedroom, two bath ranch house in Wayland. We're on a cut-through street with a 3/4 acre lot. Our house is probably worth around $500k (maybe $550k once we finish the kitchen in a couple months). The same house on an 1/8 acre lot in Sunnvayle would be $1M. In Palo Alto it would be $2M.

I lived in Menlo Park for 4 years ('87 to '91) while attending grad school. The weather is flat out amazing. So is the politics, but not in a positive way. There were Mexican and Thai places that were just amazing. I moved back to Boston in '91 and haven't had decent Mexican food ever since.

As much as I like CA weather, there is no freaking way I would go back. ETA: well, that's not true. Offer me enough money and I'd go back, but it would take 10X my current salary -- enough that I could retire in a couple years.

Last edited:
I hope you're clearing at least 150K (or will be in the near future) otherwise the money is not crazy good, when you factor in cost of living and all the tax rape from CA. Also, "the cheap houses" in east palo alto go for like 700 grand. And there's bullets flying around and shit on that side of the highway, so not really a good place to live unless you're a naive hipster or something.

$150k is nowhere near enough.

As for East Palo Alto, I haven't been there in ages. Back when I lived in the area, I went to East Palo Alto maybe once a year to drop off my taxes at the post office, and I didn't stop at any red lights. East Palo Alto was seriously bad news back then.

E Palo Alto has been cleaned up a lot,I actually used to be a 911 dispatcher for that area...I still would not live there though..It's a trip how run down EPA is and the Cisco HQ full of millionaires is about 3 miles down the road.

Making $150k a year you can rent a place in a nice part of any surrounding towns,IF you can find a rental.You will need at least $2.5k a month.

I moved back to Boston in '91 and haven't had decent Mexican food ever since.

The place in Framingham near Walter Dyer leather on West rt 9 is comparable to CA....They have horchata [smile]

Last edited:
Isn't the CA compliance list worse then MA's? Like Manufactures have to re certify pistols every year a CA approved roster list is produced.

Isn't the CA compliance list worse then MA's? Like Manufactures have to re certify pistols every year a CA approved roster list is produced.

Yes, but they don't have our AG's trigger weight BS. On the other hand, I think they added a micro stamping law and as a result some manufacturers are no longer going to sell in CA.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. We are remodeling our kitchen at the moment, so we are eating out a lot more often.

I've never had horchata. Dunno what it is like. Does it have alcohol?

Lived in Socal in Rancho Cucamonga '03 - '07. Traffic blows. The Mexican food was awesome. The weather was hot and unrelenting. Sold most of my guns to avoid having to pay a $25 registration fee per gun. Didn't even try to get a CCL - you think Boston's bad? One thing I learned - never sell your guns unless they're defective or you flat out hate them. I let go of things that to this day I regret selling. Should have stored them with a friend and retrieved them later.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. We are remodeling our kitchen at the moment, so we are eating out a lot more often.

I've never had horchata. Dunno what it is like. Does it have alcohol?

No alcohol..perfect thing to drink with spicy Mex food,it is served at every Mex place in CA. It's rice milk flavored with vanilla and cinnamon.

Last edited:
No alcohol..perfect thing to drink with spicy Mex food,it is served at every Mex place in CA.It's rice milk flavored with vanilla and cinnamon.

Cool. I may give it a try.

Out here in the suburbs, I always pick the hottest thing on the menu, ask for to be extra hot, and it is never spicy at all.

Yes, but they don't have our AG's trigger weight BS. On the other hand, I think they added a micro stamping law and as a result some manufacturers are no longer going to sell in CA.

Off the top of my head, the only upside to CA gun laws vs MA is you don't need anything but proof you're over 18 to buy ammo - and even that is a 'if you look like you may be under 18' thing. I'm middle aged, and I've never been asked for ID on the very rare occasion I've dipped below the border to get ammo at Wal-Mart. (Crescent City Wal-Mart is the Mecca of People of Wal-Mart, BTW.) And you can possess long guns without permission slips, too. (Shotgun is okay, anything scarier is not okay)

Back
Top Bottom