• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to California

NES,

California. Has anyone made the move in either direction, that could offer up some advice?

Thanks in advance.

I lived in San Francisco for 8 years prior to moving back East to MA in 2008. IM me if you have specific questions. As for gun laws, I haven't cared in 6 years what Kalifornistan guns laws are nor was I that into them when I was there so I likely can't help you much in that regard.

It is an amazing state, except for the people the laws and the costs. Its crowded, expensive and hard to live but it can be lots of fun as well. The outdoor opportunities are amazing, skiing is pretty good and easy access to amazing skiing (Utah etc) etc. The down site is traffic sucks, the people suck, the laws suck, and the cost of living sucks most of all. Oh and the politics suck, at least in the population centers (LA, SF areas). I guess that about covers it.

IF you have a chance to live in a place like the Sierra foothills, well then forget much of what I just said. CCW easy to get, lots of places to shoot, decent hunting, traffic isn't horrible, most people like (or at least tolerate) guns, it isn't liberal and a 1000sq/ft house won't cost you over a million.

Lots of good and bad about the state. Its easy to bash it at a high level as is done non stop on this site (and by me to my wife who wants to move back) but in the end there are ways to make it a great place to be. Even in the best situation though, gun laws will still suck!

Bt-F2FRCYAAZGGe.png

I live a few minutes north if the CA/US border checkpoint, in Oregon.

Northern CA - and I don't mean SFO, I mean up north of Eureka, really doesn't seem that bad. Crescent City is a meth-ridden shithole, though.

I lived in CA for about 8 years...pretty much hated all 8 years but here are some observations that haven't been hit on yet.

One positive...If you like Cars and Motorcycles it is amazing...it's a place where you can drive a classic car as a daily driver with really no problem at all. In my time there I had a 67 mustang, a 91 k5 blazer with a ridiculous lift kit and my rock crawler toyota... you will see cars you haven't seen in a decade out here(Dodge Chargers...the old hatchbacks, Opels...VW bugs everywhere). The roads are for the most part awesome but CALI DRIVERS ARE THE WORST!!! Little rain...like 5 mins and it's like 93 in a full out blizzard...and half the cars out there have someone who never drove until they got to America anbd came from a country with essentially no traffic laws.

Also...be ready to drive...seems like everything is 5 miles away...nothing seems close and everything will require a u turn to get to.

I lived in The Central Valley for 4 years...mostly in the Fresno area...Fresno is what would happen if Detroit and Tijuana had a baby,...dirty, depressing and dangerous. It's essentially Northern Mexico.

Nor Cal isn't bad if you can avoid Sacramento...But Folsom/Foothills/Tahoe are actually quite nice.

Go to Pismo, get Chowda at Splash Cafe and BBQ at Mo's... Screw Morrow Bay, it's as big a letdown to us as Plymouth Rock is to Californians. If you like wine SLO/Napa are pretty great.

In Sf...it's legal to both walk around nude in public and urinate/defecate on the sidewalks...do with this info whatever you like.

The Mexican food is amazing...I miss it so much..on the other hand the Pizza and Chinese food is terrible. Go to an In and Out as soon as you land...Animal style...you're welcome.

Get ready for Bro Culture...the guys are kinda like poodles...primped and a lot of bark but no real bite.

If you are single get ready to pull girls left and right...They Love our accent...Nights in the bar were like shooting fish in a barrel once I had a few beers and started sounding like Cliff Claven.

Enjoy the weather...any specific questions let me know.

Im actually enjoying the good advice without the hate. Dude made his decision; although a few early jabs are deserved.

I always see you selling in the Classified and you always have a good price (from what I have seen). I knew you were moving soon for some reason.

I have no advice but make the best of it and keep us East Coasters informed!

One other thing...Most gun guys in CA have 2 safes...the one with the CA safe guns that you take to the range, then the second with the guns you bring out when getting busted with non CA compliant guns are the least of your worries.

The Mexican food is amazing...I miss it so much..

This. I grew up in SoCal and moved away at 18 to find a better part of the nation (i.e., everywhere else)... but I still haven't found decent Mexican food here, and I know I never will.

SF has a million problems, but its setting isn't one of them. Geographically, it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been; it's the only city in CA that's really a "city." All the other ones are just collections of people.

Lived out in San Diego to 6 years in the service and loved it. Met my wife there but eventually the call of New England had its effect on me. From there made an 8 month pit stop in Arizona and thought I had found a gun lovers paradise....that was the extent of paradise there...the rest sucked big time. Have been back for 19 years and the wife is really putting the heat on to move back much to my objections. As far as SD County goes, weather is 10 out of 10, people are just plain weird and appearance rules all. Not much chance of obtaining concealed carry there and if you have it, keep it and bring it in.....mums the word once you have it in CA because they want everything declared down to black powder. Expensive living, taxes if you buy a house is 5% of buying price....do the math, average house (major fixer upper) is $400K +++ @ 5% per year makes Taxachusetts look down right good. A lot of illegals, traffic, high costs, but look on the bright side, they are the microbrewery capital of the world with more craft breweries than any other state...Stone Brewery....mmmmm. Good luck man, I hope I will not be joining you any time EVER. Just two last words in closing....BULLET BUTTON!!

You pretty much have 4 choices:-Sell everything and forget about guns -Sell all your shit that isn't legal there (probably most of it)-Ignore the lawrs and fly under the radar-Rethink what you're doing. I hope you're making 300K or she's a smokeshow. If it's neither of the above then you really need to examine #4, over and over again.

-Mike

Last edited:
Moved out to Mass in 2010 from Sacramento. Spent 7 years there starting a family and a career.

Advice: Hire a good moving company. Then enjoy the drive.

If you want more specific advice, PM me.

i won't knock anyone for where they live or where their moving to. some of us have careers, family needs etc. that prevent us from living where we might rather be in a perfect world.

best of luck to the op, i hope it all works out for you.

When you get to Ca. turn right and continue north to Washington State. Very gun friendly ,out side of the Seattle area.
I love living on the Olympic Peninsula . NO traffic jams,good people,nice weather,no problems.

.........................Jack

Born 'n raised in Ventura County. We rode and raced loud, smoky two-strokes and did a lot of shooting. There were miles and miles of open land to run around in and cause no harm, no foul trouble. When the weather was crap, we surfed. I was a kid there when the Governor liked guns and wore a cowboy hat around the house.

Drgrant's advice that you will need a good income is so true these days. Unless you can head for the hills (small town, way out of the way), cost of housing can be brutal. Yes, it's probably the only place with firearms laws worse than Mass and it's the mother source from which moonbats spawn. That said, it has its own strong appeal. I concur that there are tons of under the radar firearms populating the safes of upstanding citizens.

It has some of the most beautiful and diverse topography to be found anywhere. Be sure to take some time to see the sights, there are many.

Though I prefer some of the smaller, more conservative towns, you can find pocket communities even inside the LA concrete jungle. Whatever is your gig, you are likely to find other birds of the same feather. Yes, appearance is a bigger deal there, but I have found that Mass is a little more laid back than average as far as caring about appearance goes. Not necessarily a bad thing...

If you end up in the LA area, you'll need to preserve your sanity by learning to work with or around the traffic. It can be the worst in the world if you put yourself in the middle of the peak flow. There are work-around routes depending upon where you live and commute.

There's a lot to enjoy if you get out to experience it. I lived in Tennessee long enough to consider it home now, but I often still miss California. Have fun!

....but I have found that Mass is a little more laid back than average as far as caring about appearance goes. Not necessarily a bad thing..

not sure I have ever thought of using the words laid back to describe ANYTHING in New England :)

ETA, actually it's just MA. Plenty of ME, VT and NH can be laid back.

Last edited:
not sure I have ever thought of using the words laid back to describe ANYTHING in New England :)

ETA, actually it's just MA. Plenty of ME, VT and NH can be laid back.

[laugh] So true, for pretty much everything. However, in comparison to the west coast and the south, in my opinion you can get away with dressing much more casually in everyday life. Show up to your southern supermarket in stubble, a Braves hat, and ratty old T-shirt and your wife's friends will ask, 'Are you feeling OK? Bless your heart!'. Translated this means unless you are dying please don't be seen with me in public when you look like that. In SoCal they will simply say, 'Eewww, gross dude. Later!'

I grew up in MA, then got a job in LA area and lived there for 17 years. I moved back when I had a kid to be closer to family. CA is diverse in every way, and there's something for everybody. I loved it. I travelled to Mexico and Central America many times, although I wouldn't go now, and several Asian countries, not to mention the fascinating Southwest. And the women, oh my god! And people are very friendly.

It's expensive, but so is MA! Gun laws are actually worse, and it's almost impossible getting an LTC there, although I understand it might get better in San Diego at least due to a court order.

Enjoy! In winter in SoCal go skiing in the morning and the beach in the afternoon! Where else can you do that?

Moving to California? With CA gun laws?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the OP is one NESer who will flee MA and NOT be posting "Nyah-Nyah! I'm smart cuz I got the hell out of that MA sh*thole!!" in this forum...(like so many of the MA refugees in NH do here every day, maligning those of us who simply can NOT leave, due to business/family/health/financial etc etc reasons... "rubbing it in" to those of us "stuck" here, thinking they are "smarter" for having chosen to flee rather than stay and fight the MA system, as many of us are forced to do - or willingly do!)

Uh-oh, did I just say that?..

Better put on my fire-retardant suit, cuz here come the flames. But it's the truth. I'm (and many of us are) tired of those who fled MA coming back onto NES and telling us we're "crazy" to stay, as if we have the "option" to leave (as 95% of us with family and business here DON'T actually have).

I (and many of us) appreciate the "input" from someoone who advises what it''s like somewhere else, what it "could be like" here in MA (albeit in our dreams), what it might take to better our system, etc...just tired of the refugees who do the nose-thumb like a bunch of 11 year olds in the schoolyard..

("You stay in Massachusetts, idiot? I'm SMART cuz I ran away! Nyah-Nyah!!"). Thse are the posts that mmake us scratch our head wonderiing wwhy they took the time to post those types of nose-thumbs, since they are productive in ZERO way...

OK, now flame me for speaking my opinion - but an opinion shared by MANY here!

Last edited:
Hey, I chose to live in Mass a couple years ago. Granted it was a nice career opportunity that required a move to the mother ship, but thanks to finding NES and already knowing some locals I knew what I was getting into.

I'm happy for those who are stoked about their move to a 2A friendly state, but the in-your-face, 'suck it, losers!' attitude from some is quite funny. Last I checked, there isn't a medal for retreat.

No, I don't think OP is going to talk smack re 2A from Cali.[smile]

This might sound crazy but I actually found the gun laws in MA worse than in CA...

I never tried to purchase a gun in MA...I packed my shit and mover to NH(Fist-Bump to GlockJock).

All I know is in CA it was far easier to transport my guns, and there was ample public land to shoot on...they even had...wait for it...public, no charge gun ranges with shooting stations and berms. It may have changed since I left but there was also legal open carry(Unloaded...as stupid as that may be)

I also lived in a country with a very pro 2A sheriff(John D'Agostini) who put no restrictions on Concealed Carry permits... And is actually a great advocate statewide and nationally for Concealed carry rights.

When I moved back and tried to resettle in my hometown(Weymouth) I was amazed how arrogant and dismissive the local PD was about issuing permits...and since I had found work on the North Shore I packed up and moved. But even here in NH I can't seem to find a local Sandpit or dirt road to go shooting on...And all the Clubs all have waiting lists clogged with MA refugees (You're my Boy, GlockJock), My poor shotgun is wasting away from lack of use.

Point being is even in bad 2A states...there can be pockets where you can find acceptance. no, I couldn't have hi-cap mags...but Nevada was only a 2 hour drive and Cablelas doesn't ask for ID...

Back
Top Bottom