• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to bean town

I have a class A licence with no restrictions current now. If I move to Boston and try to transfer it to my new address, can Boston block this or reduce my license?

I have a class A licence with no restrictions current now. If I move to Boston and try to transfer it to my new address, can Boston block this or reduce my license?

Not likely, until you come up for renewal. Then they may give you a neutered class A, though some of my former colleagues who live in Boston or Newton have a Class A with no restrictions. So, it is a crap shoot.

Not likely, until you come up for renewal. Then they may give you a neutered class A, though some of my former colleagues who live in Boston or Newton have a Class A with no restrictions. So, it is a crap shoot.

Newton WILL downgrade before renewal in some cases.

Not sure about Boston...

Newton WILL downgrade before renewal in some cases.

Not sure about Boston...

Not absolutely true. I had an attorney colleague who moved to Newton a few years back, and when he went for renewal for his LTC Class A with no restrictions he got the LTC Class A with no restrictions. So, it is worth a try and if you play your cards right it is possible.

Why question the logic of another person for moving? Life isn't only about guns... *zips up flame suit*

I moved to Boston because I'm a single guy and there are quite a bit of single girls. It ended up working pretty good in the end.

and back on topic... the girl I'm dating has a LTC-A no restrictions and she moved into the city. She changed her address and still has a LTC-A no restrictions. Renewal will be a whole different can of worms, though.

Why question the logic of another person for moving? Life isn't only about guns... *zips up flame suit*

I moved to Boston because I'm a single guy and there are quite a bit of single girls. It ended up working pretty good in the end.

and back on topic... the girl I'm dating has a LTC-A no restrictions and she moved into the city. She changed her address and still has a LTC-A no restrictions. Renewal will be a whole different can of worms, though.

Wow. You really want to get flamed huh. Well, i'll try but I haven't had much coffee yet.

Boston is non-desirable in so many ways not even considering the gun laws. The tax rate is high, the crime is high, it is dirty, it has stupid policies regarding noise ordinances, voting processes, housing, etc., it is overcrowded, there is no parking, there are too many Dunkin Donuts, Deval works there, Kerry lives there, you will get no representation there, your car insurance rates will be high if you have a newer vehicle,...

I know some love it and wish them well for living there. I couldn't do it and live with myself. There are better areas right outside of Boston with lower crime rates, lower cost of living and reasonable commute time. To each his own.

He did not mention anything about girlfriend, job, clubs, etc., he only expressed concerns about his license . [wink]

Right, I moved to Boston in and had my "old" license for three years before renewal. I met all the requirements they put in place to renew twice since with an unrestricted LTC-A. While the Mayor may be hostile to private handgun carry, most of the rank-and-file make clear they have other ideas. They know who the good guy and s the bad guys are.

Wow. You really want to get flamed huh. Well, i'll try but I haven't had much coffee yet.

Boston is non-desirable in so many ways not even considering the gun laws. The tax rate is high, the crime is high, it is dirty, it has stupid policies regarding noise ordinances, voting processes, housing, etc., it is overcrowded, there is no parking, there are too many Dunkin Donuts, Deval works there, Kerry lives there, you will get no representation there, your car insurance rates will be high if you have a newer vehicle,...

I know some love it and wish them well for living there. I couldn't do it and live with myself. There are better areas right outside of Boston with lower crime rates, lower cost of living and reasonable commute time. To each his own.
Did you ever actually live in Boston? Apparently your life was ruined living here: I hope you get some help and are happier down in the Bible Belt.

Boston is a blast to live in. There are tons of great bars and restaurants to go to, and usually some good choices within walking distance. You can take the T to all the big events and if you live here and get to know people you wind up with free Bruins, Celtics, and Red Sox tickets now and again. We pay $4,100 in real estate taxes a year: not a problem since we easily triple that renting out a one bedroom apartment on our first floor. Unless I get home late on a weeknight, I am usually parked within 50 feet of my front door.

Since they've added competition to auto insurance rates, Boston is not much more than many suburbs: it varies by car but for my 2009 WRX it was $100 a year more than Peabody. That's a "newer" vehicle isn't it? Sounds like another piece of information you proffer about MA that is out of date or flat wrong. By all means post up what your car was and what you paid for insurance, and when.

In Southie there are two Dunkin Donuts and six independent coffee shops (we don't need no stinkin' StarBucks). Neither the Governor or Senator have ever been here. It's doubtful they know the difference between South Boston and the South End. Here's the difference: in Southie men don't carry purses.

Boston harbor has some of the finest sailing in the Northeast and I've sailed in most popular venues from Maine to Florida. You can take shuttles or water taxis to almost all of the harbor islands, and camp out on several of them. We live one mile from our boat and it takes us 20 minutes from the time we leave our house until we are under sail. The mooring fee is $21 per year, compared to $186 for the same boat in Marblehead.

There are a lot of other appealing things about Boston, which is why 18 million people visit every year.

If you are a single guy, it is completely awesome. My wife plays on a tennis team and some of the women are jaw-droppers, and beg her to fix them up with a nice guy. (In truth, some of the others are the team are not jaw dropping). My wife is in the Screen Actors Guild so she's met lots of aspiring actresses of all ages: they range from attractive to amazing. We had a Christmas party with her friends two years ago and no one would leave. The dumbest thing I never did as a single guy was not moving to Boston!

Driving can be a challenge but the Big Dig has made an immense difference. My commute from Boston to Peabody is the same - 25 minutes - as it was from Marblehead to Peabody despite being 10 miles longer. And you have the T for big nights, bicycling especially around the harbor is a piece of cake, and there are tons of "free" motorcycle spots if you know where to look. When I fly on business, I take the Silver Line ($2.00) and I'm to the airport or home in less than 20 minutes: JetBlue is way better than SouthWest. And I take the Mass Pike, Rt 93, or Rt 1 out of Boston during rush hours - piece of cake. A drive to our Manchester, NH office (about 50 miles) takes about 50 minutes, while the inbound commuters are going 20mph.

In terms of representation, I know my City Councilor, State Rep, State Senator, and US Rep by name. The one with the worst GOAL rating gets the most letters from me, and to his credit has answered every single one of them and has now voted "my" way on several bills I wrote him about.

For some people the glass is always half empty. There are several people here who continually rank on MA and Boston - except when they want to go to a hospital, concert, restaurant, play, basketball game, hockey game, or baseball game. Boston must have some appeal because there sure are a lot of NH plates here all day and all night.

I've lived in NH, MA, FL, GA, and KY. There were things I liked and disliked about all of them. But living in Boston is fun as hell.

Last edited:
Right, I moved to Boston in and had my "old" license for three years before renewal. I met all the requirements they put in place to renew twice since with an unrestricted LTC-A. While the Mayor may be hostile to private handgun carry, most of the rank-and-file make clear they have other ideas. They know who the good guy and s the bad guys are.

Did you ever actually live in Boston? Apparently your life was ruined living here: I hope you get some help and are happier down in the Bible Belt.

Boston is a blast to live in. There are tons of great bars and restaurants to go to, and usually some good choices within walking distance. You can take the T to all the big events and if you live here and get to know people you wind up with free Bruins, Celtics, and Red Sox tickets now and again. We pay $4,100 in real estate taxes a year: not a problem since we easily triple that renting out a one bedroom apartment on our first floor. Unless I get home late on a weeknight, I am usually parked within 50 feet of my front door.

Since they've added competition to auto insurance rates, Boston is not much more than many suburbs: it varies by car but for my 2009 WRX it was $100 a year more than Peabody. That's a "newer" vehicle isn't it? Sounds like another piece of information you proffer about MA that is out of date or flat wrong. By all means post up what your car was and what you paid for insurance, and when.

In Southie there are two Dunkin Donuts and six independent coffee shops (we don't need no stinkin' StarBucks). Neither the Governor or Senator have ever been here. It's doubtful they know the difference between South Boston and the South End. Here's the difference: in Southie men don't carry purses.

Boston harbor has some of the finest sailing in the Northeast and I've sailed in most popular venues from Maine to Florida. You can take shuttles or water taxis to almost all of the harbor islands, and camp out on several of them. We live one mile from our boat and it takes us 20 minutes from the time we leave our house until we are under sail. The mooring fee is $21 per year, compared to $186 for the same boat in Marblehead.

There are a lot of other appealing things about Boston, which is why 18 million people visit every year.

If you are a single guy, it is completely awesome. My wife plays on a tennis team and some of the women are jaw-droppers, and beg her to fix them up with a nice guy. (In truth, some of the others are the team are not jaw dropping). My wife is in the Screen Actors Guild so she's met lots of aspiring actresses of all ages: they range from attractive to amazing. We had a Christmas party with her friends two years ago and no one would leave. The dumbest thing I never did as a single guy was not moving to Boston!

Driving can be a challenge but the Big Dig has made an immense difference. My commute from Boston to Peabody is the same - 25 minutes - as it was from Marblehead to Peabody despite being 10 miles longer. And you have the T for big nights, bicycling especially around the harbor is a piece of cake, and there are tons of "free" motorcycle spots if you know where to look. When I fly on business, I take the Silver Line ($2.00) and I'm to the airport or home in less than 20 minutes: JetBlue is way better than SouthWest. And I take the Mass Pike, Rt 93, or Rt 1 out of Boston during rush hours - piece of cake. A drive to our Manchester, NH office (about 50 miles) takes about 50 minutes, while the inbound commuters are going 20mph.

In terms of representation, I know my City Councilor, State Rep, State Senator, and US Rep by name. The one with the worst GOAL rating gets the most letters from me, and to his credit has answered every single one of them and has now voted "my" way on several bills I wrote him about.

For some people the glass is always half empty. There are several people here who continually rank on MA and Boston - except when they want to go to a hospital, concert, restaurant, play, basketball game, hockey game, or baseball game. Boston must have some appeal because there sure are a lot of NH plates here all day and all night.

I've lived in NH, MA, FL, GA, and KY. There were things I liked and disliked about all of them. But living in Boston is fun as hell.

I agree with many of your sentiments such as JetBlue being superior.

However, your tax bill is high. I know many people whom live in town and pay much less than you in taxes. I know one that had a revaluation and is now close to you. They are very un happy.

Additionally, you have no representation in the machinery of government. Try getting something out of the City Hall. It can very hard at times and other things can be easy. Here, I know 90% of the staff in the town hall. I know all of the people in the Library. I actually know the people that do things instead of talkers.

I don't think it is a plus to know your city representative, when I am on first name basis with each of the Selectmen, various members of the school and finance committees

bill

There are SO many decent places to live within an hour's drive on the MA Pike. Go West, young man.

Back
Top Bottom