Moving to a non-NFA Friendly State, Leaving NFA items in home state. Duty to notify?

I am turning to the NES brain trust for this one. I am currently living in NH and own a few NFA items. In the near future I will be moving to MA for work and will have a temporary housing situation before I am able to settle someplace. I cannot bring my suppressors with me and have decided to leave my SBR's behind in NH as well.

My question is this; I am moving. I am leaving my NFA items behind. Do I have a duty to notify the ATF about the move if none of the items are coming with me? If yes, do I provide them my new temporary address then go through the notification process again after a permanent residence is established? Or do I provide the address where the items will continue to reside in NH?

A bit convoluted, I know. Any input is appreciated.

You have no legal obligation to report NFA items to the ATF that remain in the same state. Even if the final storage spot in NH is different than where they are today. If you wish to voluntarily self report then you would fill out a 5320.20 but you have no legal obligation to report.

It’s probably worth mentioning there are storage requirements where you leave them in NH. Unless the NFA items are in a trust they must be secured and only you may have access to the NFA items. This could be a locked box at your parents, a safe at a friends house, a storage facility or even a bank lock box.

It’s probably worth mentioning there are storage requirements where you leave them in NH. Unless the NFA items are in a trust they must be secured and only you may have access to the NFA items. This could be a locked box at your parents, a safe at a friends house, a storage facility or even a bank lock box.
Thank you. They are in a trust but none of the other trustees are in NH. I’m going the safe deposit box route or friend’s house in a locked safe to which only I have the key.

If where I worked required me to move from NH to MA, I'd be looking for a new place to work that didn't do that stupidity. They couldn't pay me enough to go through that kind of BS. Hell, they couldn't pay me enough to go inside the 495 belt now.

So the question becomes, why even keep them? If you move to MA are you realistically going to go back to NH on a semi regular basis to use them? I get wanting to keep them, but overall will they just sit in a locked box for years? If the answers yes, then I'd consider selling them over actually keeping them.

So the question becomes, why even keep them? If you move to MA are you realistically going to go back to NH on a semi regular basis to use them? I get wanting to keep them, but overall will they just sit in a locked box for years? If the answers yes, then I'd consider selling them over actually keeping them.
Not sure if serious - hes going to lose his tax payments etc. Guns outside of MA = always winning

ETA: im going to make a wag hes not moving back here "forever"

Selling NFA items is really not worth the hassle, SBRs and Silencers maybe fetch twenty-five cents on the dollar.

If where I worked required me to move from NH to MA, I'd be looking for a new place to work that didn't do that stupidity. They couldn't pay me enough to go through that kind of BS. Hell, they couldn't pay me enough to go inside the 495 belt now.
People say "they couldn't pay me enough", but I assure you, they can.

Because I paid for them, I want them, and the NH border will be a 30-40 minute drive. Not worth it to sell them.

Best way to see what's involved would be to take one of EddieCoyle's "How to" courses. Also, we could use the rent. LOL. Jack.
Who is this "we" you speak of?? :)
I took Eddie's first class and it was very informative. I personally just didn't want the commitment but there's not many hobbies that can earn you both smiles and money.

I am turning to the NES brain trust for this one. I am currently living in NH and own a few NFA items. In the near future I will be moving to MA for work and will have a temporary housing situation before I am able to settle someplace. I cannot bring my suppressors with me and have decided to leave my SBR's behind in NH as well.

My question is this; I am moving. I am leaving my NFA items behind. Do I have a duty to notify the ATF about the move if none of the items are coming with me? If yes, do I provide them my new temporary address then go through the notification process again after a permanent residence is established? Or do I provide the address where the items will continue to reside in NH?

A bit convoluted, I know. Any input is appreciated.
If Hillary taught us anything it’s that laws are meant to be broken..

Who is this "we" you speak of?? :)
I took Eddie's first class and it was very informative. I personally just didn't want the commitment but there's not many hobbies that can earn you both smiles and money.
The "We" is the Mill which I'm keeping full due to my superior management skills (10%) and affordable rents (90 %) Jack.

What kind of SBR’s do you have? Why not file a 5320.20 and bring them with you to MA. Make them AWB compliant and bring them along.

Supressors not so much. I’ll babysit for you.

I doubt he really wants to f****** his guns like that. AWB compliance sucks.
I agree, but depending on the type of gun it’s simple to do, would allow him to follow the actual law and bring his guns to use and when he moves back out of MA he can change them back.

Back
Top Bottom