• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Delete

DO take the time to properly inform the town of your move.

You may think its pointless, but if you ever move back to MA or ever want to apply for a non-resident LTC, this could come back to haunt you.

I did this last week. It cost me $13.40 to send the letters (CoP and FRB) certified with a return receipt plus 45 min in line at USPS.

In contrast, getting my pistol permit (only needed for concealed carry) in AL took me 5 min and $37.50 for five years. It's a one page app with the same questions that are on a 4473. They put my info into the computer, verify I am not a felon, and print up my card. Renewals are online. It made me wonder what takes 40 days in MA--it's the same criminal background check.

In retrospect, I would have skipped it-at least the letter to the FRB. I'm never moving back. For CT and UT, I just sent an email. I am rationalizing that it was worth doing because all my licenses expire well beyond the time period that USPS will forward mail--I did not want anyone else to receive any renewal letter that might be sent to my old MA address. I don't intend to renew any of the LTCs--I don't need them anymore.

In contrast, getting my pistol permit (only needed for concealed carry) in AL took me 5 min and $37.50 for five years. It's a one page app with the same questions that are on a 4473. They put my info into the computer, verify I am not a felon, and print up my card. Renewals are online. It made me wonder what takes 40 days in MA--it's the same criminal background check.

[laugh2]

It doesn't take 40 days. I think you dropped a 2 from that number above. 240 days is more like it.

[laugh2]

It doesn't take 40 days. I think you dropped a 2 from that number above. 240 days is more like it.
Its obviously dependent on the town. Mine took less than 30.

Also. You can carry on an expired license in MA if you renewed before the expiration date. Not perfect. But not horrible.

****NOTE - the following is wrong. MGL requires notification be sent by certified mail. I'm leaving this in rather than just deleting it because someone else may have this question at a later date. ******

TBK5 - It sounds like you went about doing the notifications just about the most difficult way possible. I can print out shipping labels on USPS.com in about 5 minutes and drop them in any blue box. Priority mail letter includes tracking. Total time, about 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Its obviously dependent on the town. Mine took less than 30.

Who did you have to sleep with to get that done? I guess you are one of the "special" ones.

TBK5 - It sounds like you went about doing the notifications just about the most difficult way possible. I can print out shipping labels on USPS.com in about 5 minutes and drop them in any blue box. Priority mail letter includes tracking. Total time, about 15 minutes.

Can't with Certified. Isn't Certified required under the MA law?

Yep. Certified is required. I suppose priority mail did not exist when they wrote the law. And of course, there shall be no law passed in MA that will make exercising a right easier. Nothing personal y’all (hey, am I assimilating to the south already-y’all-haha) but buhbye MA.

PS-I said 40 days because I believe that is the law in MA. Of course, no penalty if da man goes over the requirement. In AL, it’s 30 days. It was done in 5 min.

PS-I said 40 days because I believe that is the law in MA. Of course, no penalty if da man goes over the requirement. In AL, it’s 30 days. It was done in 5 min.

This I understand and yes, that is the requirement as per MGL. In reality, it doesn't happen, as you well know. There are 1000's of post on this board that supports that. There are those special one though, that seem to get it in or sooner than the required time.

This I understand and yes, that is the requirement as per MGL. In reality, it doesn't happen, as you well know. There are 1000's of post on this board that supports that. There are those special one though, that seem to get it in or sooner than the required time.

I agree. I was lucky in Charlton. I think it was about three weeks each time. I saw the officer run the background check in AL It only takes a few minutes. That just got me angry about the situation in MA. The delays are not due to workload. It's just abuse of power. Then she handed me my licensee. I forgot al about MA and I was smiling again. [smile]

I agree. I was lucky in Charlton. I think it was about three weeks each time. I saw the officer run the background check in AL It only takes a few minutes. That just got me angry about the situation in MA. The delays are not due to workload. It's just abuse of power. Then she handed me my licensee. I forgot al about MA and I was smiling again. [smile]

Last time I went to pick up my LTC, I had to provide a photo ID. I pointed out that they were giving me a photo ID...with my most recent picture. They still needed a photo ID. So I gave them my expired LTC. All was fine. But...gotta follow the rules. [rolleyes]

Sending by certified is required by MGL or regulation???

If so, I learned something and will delete my post above.

My point was that sending priority with tracking and then printing out proof of delivery is easier, cheaper, and much faster. But if it doesn't comply with the law, then my point wrong and I will remove it immediately.

Can you provide a citation??

Thanks

General Law - Part I, Title XX, Chapter 140, Section 129B

(11) A cardholder shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority that issued such card, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction such cardholder moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of such card.

General Law - Part I, Title XX, Chapter 140, Section 131

(l) The executive director of the criminal history systems board shall send electronically or by first class mail to the holder of each such license to carry firearms, a notice of the expiration of such license not less than 90 days prior to such expiration and shall enclose therein a form for the renewal of such license. The form for renewal shall include an affidavit in which the applicant shall verify that the applicant has not lost any firearms or had any firearms stolen from the applicant since the date of the applicant's last renewal or issuance. The taking of fingerprints shall not be required in issuing the renewal of a license if the renewal applicant's fingerprints are on file with the department of the state police. Any licensee shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued said license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of said license. The commissioner of criminal justice information services shall provide electronic notice of expiration only upon the request of a cardholder. A request for electronic notice of expiration shall be forwarded to the department on a form furnished by the commissioner. Any electronic address maintained by the department for the purpose of providing electronic notice of expiration shall be considered a firearms record and shall not be disclosed except as provided in section 10 of chapter 66.

Back
Top Bottom