• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving out of state shipping question

Just saying, we gotta learn from the mistakes our forefathers, or uncles in some cases, made.

How the revenuers caught a lot of the moonshiners was by looking at the ride height of cars passing by. If the copper thought a car looked awfully low, they'd get chased. This guy, he's loading about a thousand rifles and maybe 600 gallons of Franzia Pinot Grigio! His muffler will be scraped clean off in 20 miles!

But the moonshiners fought back. Remember these runs were usually in the dark of night at very high speed. The revenuers, they would chase the suspect by following the taillights. So some clever 'shiners rigged a tail light cut-out switch and put fake "tail lights" on either side of a huge tree. They'd get up to a very high speed and as they neared the trap, turn off their taillights and a friend on the ground would turn on the lure lights. After several revenuers died in head on collisions with trees, they reached a sort of truce and the revenuers chased the shiners a little less aggressively. And the shiners stopped killing the revenuers in return.

But Hague, he's going to be driving solo and won't be able to shake the cops with all that freight in the trunk.

I'm just trying to keep one of our own outta jail!
I am going to have Cledus and Fred hauling my load, while I am going to be driving the bait car.
Smokey And The Bandit Fun GIF by Laff

Haven’t read the entire thread, but I believe an FFL will have to enter your firearm into their ledger to ship it. Then you would need to have it transferred back to you? Seems like a huge hassle. I might be wrong though.

About a half dozen handguns and half as many long guns.
This isn't that many to fly with. If you are OK with prioritizing your checked luggage for firearms, you can easily fit the handguns, since they are more PITA to ship (can't use USPS). Rifles can easily go priority mail, or you can take a few rifles with you as well.
When I was moving, I had 2 pelican cases and one small hard case with rifles / pistols in my checked baggage with Delta. The gate agent DGAF.

As much as Fed Law allows you to ship handguns to yourself via UPS and FedEx, BATFE has convinced both to NOT accept any shipments of guns unless it is from/to an FFL who is part of the shipper's "program". Fed Law only allows dealers/mfrs to ship handguns via USPO, however anyone can ship rifles to themselves via USPO.

An interesting aside is that FedEx told me that it is illegal to ship alcohol via FedEx and if they find it they will smash the bottles. No idea if that is true or only a FedEx rule.

Pretty sure a carrier has to have a license for transporting alcohol, tobacco as well.

I hear you. I need to move about 3-4 cases of wine, valued between $50-800/bottle. I am freaking out about that more than moving guns.
Drink the wine while contemplating which peasant will move your safes packed tightly to prevent damage. Or sell any guns that are not easily available in this abortion of a state while enjoying the last of the wine.

Is transporting guns that dont belong to you across state lines even legal without some sort of license?
None of this matters, the OP collection is small, he can fit it all in one or two Pelican cases and bring on a plane. If needed, pay the fee to check an extra bag, usually around $150 or whatever the airline charges and call it a day.

The gun part does not require more than 5 minutes of thinking.

When you talk about a 30+ collection, and over 500lbs of ammo then it requires some planning.

The wine is his only issue, but that can be insured and it is easy to pack properly in crates that don't take up much space.

Is transporting guns that dont belong to you across state lines even legal without some sort of license?
Yes. "My friend is borrowing them for sporting purposes" lol

That said OP is stupid for not throwing wife on plane and just driving. He could drive the guns and the wine and save himself a lot of grief/concern.

None of this matters, the OP collection is small, he can fit it all in one or two Pelican cases and bring on a plane. If needed, pay the fee to check an extra bag, usually around $150 or whatever the airline charges and call it a day.

When you talk about a 30+ collection, and over 500lbs of ammo then it requires some planning.

The wine is his only issue, but that can be insured and it is easy to pack properly in crates that don't take up much space.

Pretty much this. Pack the guns into decent cases, declare them to TFS at the airport and go.

Adding to this, if the OP doesn't want to ship wine (I don't know sh*t about wine, but maybe the heat in the truck will mess it up), he can drive a Prius across country for cheap.

My parents just drove a Prius to Florida, 1367 miles, averaging 53mpg, that is only 25 gallons. Let's assume $4/gallon, they paid $100 for gas.

If you don't own a prius, rent one, it is probably cheap at $20 or so per day. I rented a Challenger in Florida for like $25.

That said OP is stupid for not throwing wife on plane and just driving. He could drive the guns and the wine and save himself a lot of grief/concern.
"DSP" - Drgrant.

As we continue to plan our move to America, moving firearms and ammunition is a question. I have to agree with the people who suggest driving them as opposed to shipping.

I expect that we'll need two road trips, one for each vehicle. One of those will include firearms.

If the drive is more than one day, I'd avoid using a rental truck. Thieves love to steal or break into those when they are parked at hotels.

Tools and parts can be moved along with everything else via moving company, but I definitely wouldn't put firearms or ammunition on to one. That's if they will even take them.

My wife isn't a fan of long drives either. If she doesn't want to drive I'll try to find a reliable friend to go along and split the driving.

As we continue to plan our move to America, moving firearms and ammunition is a question. I have to agree with the people who suggest driving them as opposed to shipping.

I expect that we'll need two road trips, one for each vehicle. One of those will include firearms.

If the drive is more than one day, I'd avoid using a rental truck. Thieves love to steal or break into those when they are parked at hotels.

Tools and parts can be moved along with everything else via moving company, but I definitely wouldn't put firearms or ammunition on to one. That's if they will even take them.

My wife isn't a fan of long drives either. If she doesn't want to drive I'll try to find a reliable friend to go along and split the driving.
This is one positive of reloading.

You can ship all your bullets and casings through the shippers, only worry about primers and powder which don't take a lot of space.

I already have it all planned for when I eventually move out of here, I have like 700lbs of cast bullets. I will pack the entire house in those black and yellow crates Lowes and HD sell, and I will put one box of cast bullets in each, so they don't weight a ton and get moved with everything.

Primers are easy, thousands of primers can be packed in the space one 5 gallon buckets takes.

Powder takes a little more space, but it isn't a big deal.

I will sell the wife's car, unless it makes sense to ship it, but it probably doesn't make sense.

My car gets packed with rifles that I will unload at whatever motel I stay at. If I remove the stocks, I can pack several rifles in one guitar case, so it will look like I am moving instruments in and out of the car.

Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

Would that work in NY state, Maryland etc?

I agree. I would have just driven wife to Logan and dropped her off.

Then take a nice leisurely cross country drive by myself with guns and wine in the trunk while eating whatever I want and stopping wherever and whenever I wanted without having someone nagging about being too cold or having to go to the bathroom every 45 minutes.

Car has to go anyway and a carrier will probably be $1k or so.. gas won't be that much...

OP must be an engineer, way over thinking things :)

Last edited:

Then take a nice leisurely cross country drive by myself with guns and wine in the trunk while eating whatever I want and stopping wherever and whenever I wanted without having someone nagging about being too cold or having to go to the bathroom every 45 minutes.
NY, NJ, MD, IL etc imho are still fopa drive throughs. Stop, piss, refuel, go. I went to FL and back with a trunk with a bunch of guns last summer, nobody died or got arrested. 🤣 I did stage my trip however to get a smooth transition through the mid atlatic armpit.... but also, i have basic precautions in place. Like even if i had to change a tire in one of those shitholes, my gun stuff was concealed well enough that even a cop would never see it on leering. That and I don't drive in the sticks in those states. Major highways only.

I route through I-84 NY into PA. One stop for fuel where NY, NY, and PA meet. Head south onto I-81 in PA. Generally stop over night in Northern VA. Don't stop in MD either. Pretty much Interstates all the way.

NY, NJ, MD, IL etc imho are still fopa drive throughs. Stop, piss, refuel, go. I went to FL and back with a trunk with a bunch of guns last summer, nobody died or got arrested. 🤣 I did stage my trip however to get a smooth transition through the mid atlatic armpit.... but also, i have basic precautions in place. Like even if i had to change a tire in one of those shitholes, my gun stuff was concealed well enough that even a cop would never see it on leering. That and I don't drive in the sticks in those states. Major highways only.

I searched the forum, but the posts are not necessarily up to date, so here goes:

I am leaving MA to go to a red state and wife does not want to drive there, so I need to look at shipping my guns (and my wine).

Does anyone know if a FFL will ship all handguns together, or do they need to ship each one separately? Are they required to ship to another FFL, or can they be shipped to a family member who can receive them?

Is it worth it to have a FFL handle long guns too, or use USPS? Any experiences using USPS for long guns?

For anyone who says "Ask a FFL," who would you recommend close to Foxboro?
How is your furniture getting to new house? I’ve moved a lot and moving companies always took all my guns. I put them in boxes/bags in safes, stuffed safes with pillows, locked up, and they rolled them into trucks. No big deal.

Moving companies get twitchy with ammunition, powder and primers. I took all that stuff in my truck.

Car has to go anyway and a carrier will probably be $1k or so.. gas won't be that much...

OP must be an engineer, way over thinking things :)
If they are asking for your gun license in those states, you will need a lawyer no matter what and telling them they belong to a friend is a huge mistake.

Do you think they will match the guns to some registry that doesnt exist? ... Plenty of States don't require any registration (even those that do, like MA, can't be accessed from other Atates and are highly inaccurate) so there is no real proof you are the owner of the guns, the only proof might be they are not stolen if there is some sort of national registry cops can check for serial numbers.

Last edited:
If they are asking for your gun license in those states, you will need a lawyer no matter what and telling them they belong to a friend is a huge mistake.

Do you think they will match the guns to some registry that doesnt exist? ... Plenty of States don't require any registration (even those that do, like MA, can't be accessed from other Atates and are highly inaccurate) so there is no real proof you are the owner of the guns, the only proof might be they are not stolen if there is some sort of national registry cops can check for serial numbers.

True...But everybody is answering a question I didn't ask.. I asked if it was LEGAL to do so, not CAN you do it and get away with it if stopped.

I was just curious if there was a law or not.

True...But everybody is answering a question I didn't ask.. I asked if it was LEGAL to do so, not CAN you do it and get away with it if stopped.

I was just curious if there was a law or not.
Borrowing other's guns and lugging them around with you is not illegal. FOPA is also silent on borrowed guns. (Eg, it doesn't make a distinction).

Going off into the weeds....
There is, however, a pant shitter interpretation of federal law that says you can't use a borrowed handgun from another state's resident for self defense (the law says "sporting purposes" or similar) but that's about as close as you get. (Never heard of a federal case on this either, so in my mind it's even dumber than USC 922R is for non manufacturers/importers). That issue is way off your question regardless.

That idea of removing the stocks on rifles is interesting, I never thought of it. It certainly will make them shorter and less obvious. We're planning to get my wife a new car before we leave. I'd prefer to just sell the old one for whatever we can get and buy new when we get to wherever. I just don't think I can get her to agree.

There's a lot of logistics to work out for a move 2.000 plus miles.

You can ship all your bullets and casings through the shippers, only worry about primers and powder which don't take a lot of space.

I already have it all planned for when I eventually move out of here, I have like 700lbs of cast bullets. I will pack the entire house in those black and yellow crates Lowes and HD sell, and I will put one box of cast bullets in each, so they don't weight a ton and get moved with everything.

Primers are easy, thousands of primers can be packed in the space one 5 gallon buckets takes.

I will sell the wife's car, unless it makes sense to ship it, but it probably doesn't make sense.

My car gets packed with rifles that I will unload at whatever motel I stay at. If I remove the stocks, I can pack several rifles in one guitar case, so it will look like I am moving instruments in and out of the car.

A couple of things fell into place on this today. I was talking to my son about this and he said that I can store my stuff at his place in a southern state. He has a large gun safe that can hold the long guns and I have a metal box that will fit in his office for the hand guns.

Ammo will go in garage.

A one overnight trip and I won't need a rental truck.

If your hiring movers just hire ones that move guns.

When i moved from nh to fl the company i used would have moved my guns if i asked.
I had a box of power tools disappear between AZ and ME. I'm sure guns would be a little harder to disappear, but I wouldn't put it past someone.

For long distance moves, is one of these an option? Can you return it at a different U-haul? I'd imagine they don't charge by mileage like their trucks. Whatever you do, just make sure you don't drive through New Jersey with hollow point dum dums. Hollowpoint dum dums aren't protected under New Jersey's chapter of the 2nd Amendment.

4922080300_7000d2b30b_b.jpg

I put guns/ammo in first. Then all the rest of my crap. If they wanted my guns, they'd have to offload the entire truck, 20 ft U-haul stacked to the gills, opening the door was the first trap, if they survived that (stuff leaning against the door I found out later), then they'd have a couple hours offloading the heavy stuff we put on last.

For long distance moves, is one of these an option? Can you return it at a different U-haul? I'd imagine they don't charge by mileage like their trucks. Whatever you do, just make sure you don't drive through New Jersey with hollow point dum dums. Hollowpoint dum dums aren't protected under New Jersey's chapter of the 2nd Amendment.

View attachment 755178
Yes. Im sure you can return it to a different Uhaul. But there may be a fee for that not sure.

Back
Top Bottom