• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving out of state shipping question

I searched the forum, but the posts are not necessarily up to date, so here goes:

I am leaving MA to go to a red state and wife does not want to drive there, so I need to look at shipping my guns (and my wine).

Does anyone know if a FFL will ship all handguns together, or do they need to ship each one separately? Are they required to ship to another FFL, or can they be shipped to a family member who can receive them?

Is it worth it to have a FFL handle long guns too, or use USPS? Any experiences using USPS for long guns?

For anyone who says "Ask a FFL," who would you recommend close to Foxboro?

Approximate number might affect your decision. That is, packing two long guns and five handguns would be different than 60 of each. How are your cars getting there? Your other possessions?

There is no restrictions against shipping guns to yourself, even to somewhere you don’t live. You don’t need an FFL.

Ship long guns via USPS as “sporting equipment”, handguns via FedEx or UPS or whatever. Follow their rules.

If it’s just one handgun, if might be cheaper to use an FFL because they can ship via USPS.

I searched the forum, but the posts are not necessarily up to date, so here goes:

I am leaving MA to go to a red state and wife does not want to drive there, so I need to look at shipping my guns (and my wine).

Does anyone know if a FFL will ship all handguns together, or do they need to ship each one separately? Are they required to ship to another FFL, or can they be shipped to a family member who can receive them?

Is it worth it to have a FFL handle long guns too, or use USPS? Any experiences using USPS for long guns?

For anyone who says "Ask a FFL," who would you recommend close to Foxboro?

Never shipped that many guns, but OH BOY can I comment on shipping a huge collection of wine across the country and all I can say is...rent a van/truck, brother. In fact, if you throw in the guns, it's almost definitely worth it.

Interesting question.

Does anyone have any experience using PODs? Would this be a afe, practical way to ship firearms along with other household items, especially furniture?

Interesting question.

Does anyone have any experience using PODs? Would this be a afe, practical way to ship firearms along with other household items, especially furniture?

No no no.

Their “guarantee” that stuff won’t be destroyed is total garbage.

Never shipped that many guns, but OH BOY can I comment on shipping a huge collection of wine across the country and all I can say is...rent a van/truck, brother. In fact, if you throw in the guns, it's almost definitely worth it.
I hear you. I need to move about 3-4 cases of wine, valued between $50-800/bottle. I am freaking out about that more than moving guns.

I hear you. I need to move about 3-4 cases of wine, valued between $50-800/bottle. I am freaking out about that more than moving guns.
4 cases of wine takes little space in a car, and less in a van. If all your guns/ammo fit in a single load, drive down in advance and pick your wife up at the airport.

I've moved double digit times with firearms.

With the exception of the time I moved to and from Alaska, I just tossed most of them in the back of my truck. Moving to and from Alaska, the movers took them. Moving to Indiana, I put some in an ABF ReloCube.

1. Spend the money for actual styrofoam shippers. 6 bottles to a case (break open the cardboard case and repack them, then break down the cardboard and rebuild when you get where you're going. DO NOT USE THE SHIPPERS THEY CAME IN. Even/particularly if it's wood. If you are flying. Also, pack the negative space with tissue paper.

OR

2. Spend the $1200 - 1600 (total) it would cost to buy 3-4 12-bottle flight cases. I fly 2-3 times a month with 6-12 bottles of wine in these and haven't had a problem yet. Assuming that your flying while your stuff rides in a moving truck, I would think the total cost with extra baggage fees would be less than $2K which is a small investment given the $ you laid out. Plus, when you get where you are going, you can always sell them if you wish and recoup some of the money.

Got a name of a company for OP cause that is 100% against my experience. They won’t even move oil.

Every mover I've ever used (none in New England) will take firearms.

They'll take small engines filled with oil, but it is often better to drain them beforehand as at least half the time, they'll stick the lawnmower on its side and it will leak oil.

Interesting question.

I like Pods. Kind of expensive, but you can reduce the price by picking up at a hub.

The only time I've used them was moving from Louisiana to New Hampshire. I didn't use them for firearms, but had more than a ton of small arms ammo in there along with other crap.

I would have no problems putting firearms in them.

When we moved from NH to Colorado we used a mover- Ray the Mover out of Manchester was the local company, they were an agent for Stevens moving.

No issue moving guns, they listed each by serial number on the lading slip and we verified them on arrival. All handguns and many long guns were in the camper with us.

Wouldn't take ammo or anything with fuel in it, had to prove my small Honda generator gas tank was empty. Ammo went in my truck.

The only sh*tty part about this is where to stop at night.

Many recommend a rest stop and sleep in the truck. Other forums recommend a decent hotel/motel and put a motion alarm in the truck.

When I moved to FL I bought a few nice pelican cases, threw them in the car and drove south. The rest of my stuff I shipped down in a pod.
Adding ... you can get good enough rifle cases for around $20-30 on Amazon.

On top of being cheap, they come in cardboard boxes, so it makes them easier to hide.

Back
Top Bottom